Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread Reply with quote

Im in the market for a Low down 1 3/4" stepped exhaust set up. A little birdie told me today that Tiger is a great guy but burnt out from his contracts with the Cal police and Fire department. Has anyone used him lately? I know his stuff is quality and worth the wait. I can wait up to 3 months, but not 6. Deciphering if the extended wait will make me go insane.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post may get moved to Buyer and Seller feedback. I love my A-1 lowdown but it's been really, really tough getting him to respond to emails and phone calls. I'm trying to order a different muffler but am close to throwing in the towel. Too bad, he builds awesome stuff!
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Tiger is busy as I called there and he told me to use email for questions when I called. So I just ordered it through Pierside Parts and it took around 6 weeks. This was in July and well worth the wait. His work is beautiful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live close and it's the same. 6 months for j tubes. I also ordered a header, he said 2 weeks. It's been 2.5 months.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometime u need to wait for quality work.. Just saying
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
sometime u need to wait for quality work.. Just saying

How so? Like constipation makes you wait for shit?

No reference to A1. But then again, if I had a jig, materials, and tooling, it wouldn't take me 6 months to produce a set of j-tubes. I'd be out of the job quicklike
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no disrespect, but you don't have anyone that wants it either. A1 has hundreds of orders. Get in line!

The normal solution for this is to simply raise prices, which may also include hiring some help. But Tiger does this because he likes to, he doesn't make any money on the VW work (as usual).

Dauz wrote:
But then again, if I had a jig, materials, and tooling, it wouldn't take me 2.5 months to produce a set of j-tubes.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things I do for fun typically happen on my own time. If I don't have SLAs with my customers then things can and will get done on my own time. But I'll never expect more from them on top of having to wait.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like heeeds some good dependable help.that can be hard to find and keep ypur quality. but it needs to be done.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a sign of the times. It sounds as if he has an exhaust shop that services the CHP, and Fire Dept., and does VW exhausts when he can work them in. Not a VW shop that does service work, and exhaust's. Like John mentioned, he probably couldn't keep the doors open if all he did was custom exhausts for Aircooled VW's. There are fewer, and fewer businesses that solely service, and sell parts for Aircooled VW's only. Some may see a wait of 6 months complete BS, while others are greatfull that someone is taking the time aside from their non VW business that pays the bills, to make a nice product for their 35+ year old classic car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
sounds like heeeds some good dependable help.that can be hard to find and keep ypur quality. but it needs to be done.

Actually, no it doesn't.

To what end, this domination of a weird little dead-end in automotive evolution? Take on a bunch of payroll, hire a B-list model to cuddle the header for your ad in "Hot VWs", make up $1M worth of product so you can sell them to a bunch of penny-pinching sexagenarians.

... or just keep doing what he's doing, the way he's doing it.

No owner/operators out there? I didn't think so.

Making it in a small business means going where the money is. It might mean sacrificing some of the stuff you find enjoyable but which is in a more "price-sensitive" market. Perhaps we should be happy he does them at all.

FWIW, I got my latest (custom) sidewinder in a bit over a month.

It was beautiful, as usual.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ready to throw down the $1,200 for a 1 5/8" Low Down w/Heater Boxes and Dual Quiet Packs but went to like 6 or 7 venders that carry them and they all said there is a 3/4 month wait, why, all the Venders even told me, there is only one welder.... Think for $1,200 a Set-Up there Price Curve they could get another 1 or 2 more dudes with a back log of 3/4 months it takes to make them with one guy, something else, CSP is there only competition in this relm, it is not like they are not going to have to stop having employment if they could catch up... RB
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply plan ahead. Order it in October and you have it before driving season. If you try to order it in April, well that was poor planning.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something must have changed in the past month. I ordered my a custom long tube 1-5/8" Sidewinder with a vertical muffler, a V-band clamp and an O2 bung. Being that it was not one of the normal off-the-shelf headers, I was surprised to get it fully ceramic coated and delivered to my front door in exactly 3 weeks. That was 5 weeks ago.

This is my 3rd sidewinder in the past 3 years and I have never had an issue.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I go there it's mostly VW's. I thought it was the other way around, VW then others. Makes sense now. He has workers there. I was under the impression they did the work though.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use A1 lately? Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Im in the market for a Low down 1 3/4" stepped exhaust set up. A little birdie told me today that Tiger is a great guy but burnt out from his contracts with the Cal police and Fire department. Has anyone used him lately? I know his stuff is quality and worth the wait. I can wait up to 3 months, but not 6. Deciphering if the extended wait will make me go insane.

I recently ordered a CSP-JPM Wasp stainless-steel stepped header on-line from CSP in Germany and it arrived in 12 days.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use A1 lately? Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
jfats808 wrote:

I recently ordered a CSP-JPM Wasp stainless-steel stepped header on-line from CSP in Germany and it arrived in 12 days.

Thanks Neil, i was looking at the wasp too. The site says 2 weeks on jpm. Pretty impressive and pretty cool. 730 euro is quite a pretty penny for the stg 1. Quality costs money! Neil what was your hp/tq gain with the wasp? And final out of pocket?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr tub I didnt say to hire morons or a stripper. there are still some good fabricators out there and some good employes too sorry you apparently haven't found any.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: CSP Stepped Header Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
neil68 wrote:
jfats808 wrote:
Im in the market for a Low down 1 3/4" stepped exhaust set up.

Thanks Neil, i was looking at the wasp too. The site says 2 weeks on jpm. Pretty impressive and pretty cool. 730 euro is quite a pretty penny for the stg 1. Quality costs money! Neil what was your hp/tq gain with the wasp? And final out of pocket?

The price of 728 Euro listed on the CSP site is for EU countries including VAT. For my order, the price was discounted by 16% for export, since I live in Canada (USA should be similar). Therefore, the export price for a Wasp Stage 1 should be ~611.76 Euro. CSP has them currently in stock.

Shipping to USA is 90.29 Euro, so Hawaii would be a bit more.

I got these prices by using the CSP shopping cart to determine actual cost and shipping, before you buy: http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_...0&all=

Therefore your cost would be ~$760 USD at today's exchange rate unless they charge you extra shipping to Hawaii.

My total "all in" was just over $1,000 Canadian dollars, however, our dollar has been declining versus the US dollar.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil the picture shows a stinger, is a muffler system available too? And was the 13.5 range of hp a gimmick or u gain around that too?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: