Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
mr tub I didnt say to hire morons or a stripper. there are still some good fabricators out there and some good employes too sorry you apparently haven't found any.

I have. We're doing just fine, thanks.

The difference, I believe, is that I'm not trying to make a living re-shoeing horses, or delivering ice to people's houses. We service commercial equipment other businesses need to survive, which has been manufactured sometime in this millennium.

Advising Tiger to hire a bunch of skilled guys to grab a bigger chunk of a retail market clientele (who are famously "value-oriented") and their cars (which haven't been sold in this country in over 35 years), so he can build more exhausts to compete with sweat-shops in the Pacific Rim seems like bad advice to me. There's only one winner, and it isn't the business owner. Continuing to concentrate on the things that bring in real money (and where he has less competition), and taking care of the "hobbyist" as time allows seems like a better business model

... but what do I know. I've only been doing this same kind of thing as an owner/operator for 20 years or so.

Last edited by 58 Plastic Tub on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: CSP-JPM Wasp Exhaust Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Neil the picture shows a stinger, is a muffler system available too? And was the 13.5 range of hp a gimmick or u gain around that too?

I believe the Wasp muffler will be available soon, as it's been shown on one of the facebook pages...someone posted on the CLL.

I'm using my existing A1 DRK Magnaflow muffler setup, but I haven't been back on the Dynojet yet...it's still snowing here, so not the safest driving with drag radials Wink

Here's my Wasp Stage 2 with modified A1 muffler (moved to left side):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neil appreciate the pictures and info.
Neil last question, do they/yours come with the o2 bung?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: CSP-JPM Wasp Exhaust Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Thanks Neil appreciate the pictures and info.
Neil last question, do they/yours come with the o2 bung?

Yes, O2 bung comes installed:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSP ALL THE WAY!

Ordered my 1 3/4 Python from Pierside Parts, had it at my front door in 10 days.

Also ordered the 1.75 Air restrict Ventury that was very nicely welded.

Quality of materials is of a higher standard. Germany all the way.
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, did you have to modify your traction bar? looks like its in the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUBA wrote:
CSP ALL THE WAY!

Ordered my 1 3/4 Python from Pierside Parts, had it at my front door in 10 days.

Well im trying to appropriate a used 1 3/4" A1. If that deal falls thru which seems likely atm, im going to purchase a stg 2 wasp like Neil's. 2 weeks shipping to my door sound very appetizing. 3 steps too. I did leave csp an email on the specifics of what type of flange choices and muffler selections there are for the wasp collector. Waiting to hear response next week.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: traction bar Reply with quote

Esky wrote:
Neil, did you have to modify your traction bar? looks like its in the way.

Yes, I had an old Berg traction bar and it needed to be notched and a strengthening piece welded on (I used a piece of stair stringing bar stock). The #3 pipe angles down towards where the Berg bar typically hangs.

I think this was part of JPM-CSP's attempt to create equal length pipes from all four exhaust ports. Also, in Europe most Beetle owners tend to use a Kafer Cup bar to support the frame horns, so it's not an issue for them.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Wasp Muffler Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Neil the picture shows a stinger, is a muffler system available too?

Found the photo of the muffler that is apparently in production at the moment. It looks similar to their Python muffler:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha, looks like no flange, instead a direct weld. Unless theres some sort of compression band? Im more partial to fatboy style , but it is what it is.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a tuned collector length too! Very nice.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Wasp header Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Ah ha, looks like no flange, instead a direct weld. Unless theres some sort of compression band?

Yes, the merged outlet is open with a 2.5" diameter, and is ready for use with a compression clamp (as shown in the photo).

I cut my A1 tailpipe to remove the small flange in order to match it properly, as the main tailpipe is also 2.5". Then I used a similar aircraft clamp.

I've seen photos of others who have welded on the larger-style flange. I may do that in the future, but first I'd like to test the A1 tailpipe and muffler. Once I settle on my final tailpipe and muffler, then I'll consider welding some flanges.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said grab a bigger chunk? I think you missed the point,but that might not be all.oh well.
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the waiting. Haha. I bought mine last week(thursday) and I'm getting mine tomorrow. Can't wait. Yes it is an A-1 side winder exhaust. Not the AA sidewinder. Bought from a Shop that had one in Stock.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
CUBA wrote:
CSP ALL THE WAY!

Well im trying to appropriate a used 1 3/4" A1. If that deal falls thru which seems likely atm, im going to purchase a stg 2 wasp like Neil's. 2 weeks shipping to my door sound very appetizing. 3 steps too. I did leave csp an email on the specifics of what type of flange choices and muffler selections there are for the wasp collector. Waiting to hear response next week.

Sorry Jon. I'm losing sleep over it.. .
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
jfats808 wrote:
CUBA wrote:
CSP ALL THE WAY!

Sorry Jon. I'm losing sleep over it.. .

Haha. Its ok D. Im going to spend double now on a wasp set and hopefully gain some hp/tq! Im waiting for CSP or Johannes to answer a few minor questions before i pay.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

jonny1309
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Simply plan ahead. Order it in October and you have it before driving season. If you try to order it in April, well that was poor planning.

Using the above mentioned recommendation, I just received my A1 bus muffler that I ordered through Aircooled.net in January. John's folks were great with updates of the process, even giving me the chance to opt out of my order when there was a delay.

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
Add a cop mustache, some cholo shades and a Doyers cap to the guy in the suit .......... Tocayo.

scottvw wrote:
kiss my ass Tom....I'm without centercaps right now.

OgCalLook wrote:
nothin' wrong with: Nose down - Ass up!! Twisted Evil

Ragman wrote:
Did you tell her that Al Reed painted them?

lonslo wrote:
My tailbone still hurts like hell. Crying or Very sad
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine in October and got it just under two weeks ago.. It looks great but i can't get the damn thing on.. I think i need to bend the #2 tube inward a little.. A)what do you guys think and B) any advice on be ding this without damaging it?

Here is the #4 pipe, bately on, j-pipes not connected:

Here is where the #2 hits..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can muscle the flange over the threads CAREFULLY and then use the barrel nuts to bolt it up. The header piping will be forced to move at the collector and/or at the sleeved adjustment section and once that's done it'll be permanent. Not exact but close. As long as the flanges at the heads seat, you should be good. Did exactly this with a turbo header that was too narrow for my fat-ass 2332 with 5.7 rods.

BTW, I hate how people just tack weld flanges on these headers. Once fitted, I go all the way around them with the TIG.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Sometimes you can muscle the flange over the threads CAREFULLY and then use the barrel nuts to bolt it up. The header piping will be forced to move at the collector and/or at the sleeved adjustment section and once that's done it'll be permanent. Not exact but close. As long as the flanges at the heads seat, you should be good. Did exactly this with a turbo header that was too narrow for my fat-ass 2332 with 5.7 rods.

yeah, I think I might be able to muscle it on, was just concerned about screwing up the threads and if I'd ever be able to muscle it back off if I need to..

My engine is standard width, I was running an off he shelf header before this and it fit perfectly.. I guess I just kinda expected a custom made header to fit as well as a POS from China..

The pics are hard to see, but it looks like if that #2 pipe had just another 1/4" to it's bend, it would be fine..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: