Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Header fit Reply with quote

One nice aspect of the Wasp header design is that it will fit pretty much any size engine, as all four pipes slide laterally from the collector. No problem lining up the head studs. Nice retaining slots and clamps as well.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
Dauz wrote:
Sometimes you can muscle the flange over the threads CAREFULLY and then use the barrel nuts to bolt it up. The header piping will be forced to move at the collector and/or at the sleeved adjustment section and once that's done it'll be permanent. Not exact but close. As long as the flanges at the heads seat, you should be good. Did exactly this with a turbo header that was too narrow for my fat-ass 2332 with 5.7 rods.

yeah, I think I might be able to muscle it on, was just concerned about screwing up the threads and if I'd ever be able to muscle it back off if I need to..

My engine is standard width, I was running an off he shelf header before this and it fit perfectly.. I guess I just kinda expected a custom made header to fit as well as a POS from China..

The pics are hard to see, but it looks like if that #2 pipe had just another 1/4" to it's bend, it would be fine..

Believe me, I've persuaded a #1 j-tube to fit with it being almost an inch off. However, j-tubes have more travel with their length.

Weren't you residing in San Diego at some point? Maybe five or six years ago?
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

BTW, I hate how people just tack weld flanges on these headers. Once fitted, I go all the way around them with the TIG.

on the A-1's, they're tack welded on the outside and then fully welded on the inside. They do a solid job!
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
tattooed_pariah wrote:
Dauz wrote:
Sometimes you can muscle the flange over the threads CAREFULLY and then use the barrel nuts to bolt it up. The header piping will be forced to move at the collector and/or at the sleeved adjustment section and once that's done it'll be permanent. Not exact but close. As long as the flanges at the heads seat, you should be good. Did exactly this with a turbo header that was too narrow for my fat-ass 2332 with 5.7 rods.

yeah, I think I might be able to muscle it on, was just concerned about screwing up the threads and if I'd ever be able to muscle it back off if I need to..

My engine is standard width, I was running an off he shelf header before this and it fit perfectly.. I guess I just kinda expected a custom made header to fit as well as a POS from China..

The pics are hard to see, but it looks like if that #2 pipe had just another 1/4" to it's bend, it would be fine..

Believe me, I've persuaded a #1 j-tube to fit with it being almost an inch off. However, j-tubes have more travel with their length.

Weren't you residing in San Diego at some point? Maybe five or six years ago?

#1 is in a slip joint which looks to me like it's going to be friggin hard to get a good seal on.. next time I go out in the garage i'll take a pic of it too.. it rotates int he flange, I'm guessing for muffler holding alignment.. which is useless for me since my muffler dangles off the end of the header only..

I lived in San Diego from 2006-2010 but was deployed a lot of the time.

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian from CSP responded today to confirm no muffler available as of yet. Its done. Wasp stg 2 purchased. 2 weeks out. Euro to US conversion was decent rate today. When my header comes in i will contact Tiger for a custom A1 stainless fatboy style muffler. I just happy birthdayed and merry christmased myself for this year. It was painful mouse click but the gains should be happy time.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will be here in a few dayz.... oh yeah. I ordered it on the 27th, they shipped in route the next day! I Called Tiger to order a downlow muffler, he asked what it was going on. I didn't see any reason on fibbing on it so I told him CSP. He instantly became irritated and said they copied him! Ok. He wouldn't even sell me a muffler and let me have it indexed myself. Fine. He did say he would weld one up but I would have send the header to him. That's ok. For 30 bucks on amazon I bought the ss flange, carbon gasket, and steel flange for my muffler. Im going reindex my mondo muffler and weld the steel flange clocked at the portion where it opens around 2.5". I will cut the slip on SS slip on collar that's welded to the included stinger. Have my buddy tig it on. Easy peazy RIGHT?? PFFT yeah right. WIP!

PS: well the wasp comes with a weld on 02 bung. So yerp, you guessed it. I bought an LC2. So yea, eventually im going to go take it to a dyno shop once its dialed in.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Mr. JFats that you were able to remedy your situation... As for myself I don't have the means to do what you did with out capital. So I am waiting to see who had "bolt on" set-ups availbale still and can ship.. I am looking at all the manufactures currently myself in the 1 5/8" field.... RB
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the wasp would fit my engine. I have all of the tins and a traction bar.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: headers and tin Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I wish the wasp would fit my engine. I have all of the tins and a traction bar.

I don't believe anyone makes a STEPPED header that fits with all the tin, at least I couldn't find one.

The good news: when I installed the Wasp, only one piece of tin on each side required trimming (lower sled tin needed about an inch cut off the outside, or it could have been bent upwards). I don't see this impacting the engine cooling at all, since the lower sled is simply routing the air out the back of the car, past the thermostat and of course protecting the pushrods tubes from damage.

I might box the sled tin with industrial tin later, but I've never bothered with my previous EMPI and Bugpack headers, so it's not critical.

If you are concerned with using the sled tin untouched, you could use a heater box system with larger pipes such as CSP's or Berg's...but those are not stepped header systems.

The traction bar does have to be notched or replace with a trapeze bar or other engine support. I elected to notch my Berg bar.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the berg bar already too. I knew i had custom work agead of me with that regards also. Im going to radius cut for the pipe and then weld a plate cap on like Neil did. Gotta do what u gotta do.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wasp stage 2 came in today. My wife was home so I saw it when my door was opening. A work of art and then.... the let down. 9 days though to my door, that's pretty cool. Wheres the stinger, clamp and collar in the ad??? I had plans to utilize the pieces! Well I hope it was an oversight and left Christian at CSP an inquiry. Anyway.... pictures and mock up. I suppose at worst, I could buy a 2.5 inch x 4 inch long sleeve and heavy duty clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok, Purple circle is where clamped collar about 4 inch or so with the vibrant SS 3 bolt flange goes, I should've bought two but, originally planned to reuse my mondo muffler. That idea and the steel flange I bought is scratched. So I ordered another SS flange . Red circle had a small 3 bolt flange that I cut off. That's getting the incoming welded flange. Lastly, is black circle, hopefully I wont need to clock that until I have the collar welded and mock up the rest. Lots of work-sure. But man, I WILL NOT play those candy ass games. Sometimes you want something done quicker, you gotta get your ass in there and apply elbow grease- and more cash.

On a side note, I think Uni strut cad plated solid no holes, can be used for the berg bar.....

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a nice shower I went back out and re staged everything but this time with the V band clamp I had on my shelf. Man.... can I be so lucky?

Im going to give it a go. Looks like a good prospect so far.

Now to worry about my Berg bar on Number 3. Neil you out there? Did you have any close calls with your muffler, # 2 or 4 with the bar?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks pretty slick JFats, hope it works out.... RB
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Wasp Header Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Neil you out there? Did you have any close calls with your muffler, # 2 or 4 with the bar?

Yes, my DRKC A1 Magnaflow muffler would not fit properly beside the #2 pipe, which goes into the bottom of the collector (unlike most other headers). So, I reversed the muffler to the left side, since there is more clearance there.

I didn't want to buy a new muffler & pipe, but might do that some day.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: #2 pipe Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
After a nice shower I went back out and re staged everything but this time with the V band clamp I had on my shelf. Man.... can I be so lucky?

Im going to give it a go. Looks like a good prospect so far.

Now to worry about my Berg bar on Number 3. Neil you out there? Did you have any close calls with your muffler, # 2 or 4 with the bar?

It looks like you have #2 pipe in the incorrect collector pipe in your mock-up photo... it goes into the bottom collector pipe. Look at my photo (previous page) showing the O2 bung and you'll see the staggered pipes.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah Neil youre right. Truth sucks. Looks like Ill have to reclock the muffler end too! Bah!

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That collector still looks mamath... RB
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Wasp header with muffler Reply with quote

Here's a few iPhone photos of how I cut the flange off my muffler pipe and clamped it to the Wasp Stage 2 header. For now I'm using a band clamp and also welded a retaining tab onto the pipe (to match the Wasp tab)...after cutting the three-bolt flange off:

Here's an overhead view with the Magnaflow mounted on the left side, to partially hide it under the fender. When I mocked it up on the right side, it was sticking way too far out (due to #2 header pipe interference):

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on you But NOBODY puts the muffler on the left side! Not talking

Very Happy

Think

Modok doesn't count. Shhh

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.

Last edited by SBD on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Left side muffler Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll probably move it back to the right side later. I want to test the muffler first before making a final decision.

However, I'm a bit concerned that the noise level will be noticeably higher with the muffler on the driver's side!! On the other hand, using a large header with open IDA's and a close-ratio gearbox...was never going to keep the lid on the noise. So far, no complaints from the neighbours Wink

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: