Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was looking at a 66' But I bought this 60' Ragtop instead!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Was looking at a 66' But I bought this 60' Ragtop instead! Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm really excited to be a first time owner of a vehicle that Ive wanted for a very long time. I think I'm in the right place for this. If not I apologize in advance. So I'm in the hunt for a VW and came across this one on Ebay, its at no reserve and in my area. I think I'm going to throw down some bids. Looking for some advice on what everyone thinks of the overall car, price range where I should be, questions I should ask, things to look out for, ect.....

http://ebay.us/tW5ExD

Video walk around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9fDZxuD-zU

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by iamthewalrus30 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes go look at it before you bid if you can
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very good advise. I'm going to message the guy and see if I can look at it this weekend.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 'ten footer' ....looks nice ten feet away, but upon closer examination, there are some obvious issues, and questions to ask: if its a careful rebuild, why the sloppiness on the details? missing / partial tail light gaskets; wrong engine lid, and/or license plate light for a 66; aftermarket steering wheel; not repainted on the inside (why??); incorrect front seats for a 66 (no seatback release latches); inside door handles on upside down (???); under front hood area VERY dirty and not re-done. With this kind of lack of attention to detail, you really have to wonder how much attention was paid to the important stuff like the mechanicals. Was it a slap-together quickie re-sale project? Perhaps if it sells at or near the current bid price of $3250, it might be a good deal. IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. That was exactly was I was looking for and I knew I was in the right place for it. I can totally see that it was a quick flip for him. I actually think he has sold other VW's in the past. I'm also sure that the price indicates that it was a quick flip. I'm sure if he had paid attention to all of the fine details that the price would be way more at this moment. Like you said for that price where it's at it still might be a good buy for me. I can work on the fine details and make it correct.
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After viewing the video I would head for the hills no matter what the price is. As mentioned previously, there are so many obvious things missing who knows how many things you CAN'T see that could cause major problems down the road.

I like this one much better. Mostly untouched.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1767017

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcheek wrote:
After viewing the video I would head for the hills no matter what the price is. As mentioned previously, there are so many obvious things missing who knows how many things you CAN'T see that could cause major problems down the road.

I like this one much better. Mostly untouched.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1767017

Dave

Even with the missed attention to details from the seller, do you still don't believe for the price that it is selling for that it is a good start to something? A good "project car" for someone who want's to learn a lot about VW's and work on them and make it his own?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know the final selling price?
Move on from that one. It's a shiny turd
Spend some time reading thru the forums here and gleaning some info to make a better decision on what to look for when buying.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I see a car for sale with white paint " High Hide White " I think ......Bring a magnet and check EVERYTHING for hidden body work !

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a responder here that isn't sympathetic to the desire to get a bug FAST once you've pulled the pin and decided to get one.

Dcheek posted a link to a much better example of what you should be looking for. Everything is there, where it should be, and the modifications have been kept to a minimum.

You can still find cars like this, but maybe the paint is faded, maybe there's a dent here or there, maybe the car is in a remote area, or maybe it has just been sitting with broken glass and a dead battery for ten plus years, and it is in the way. These you can get for the $2-$4,000 price you typically see solid original project cars sell at.

The car you picked out of eBay has been lowered, hastily painted (notice the painted seals on the brake light housings), has wider tires, a cheap and very plain interior kit that doesn't look right, a hacked in steering column and wheel, a stereo on the dash that may have required cutting to install, the extra wiring was just thrown in and is a rats nest, and look at the rest of the luggage compartment; it's dirty, looks like it may have some rust issues, and that could mean the rest of the car is really rough under the finish that, as stated, looks like a quick and dirty job.

These drawbacks are what are known as PO (previous owner) hacks. They cause issues that you then have to spend money and time fixing.

I would wait for a car that has not been tampered with, but is just old and tired. Otherwise, get one that has been more properly restored and plan to spend more. Good luck!
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your insight and thoughts on the car. I'm about 75% sure that I will pass on this car. I have $5000 to play with so I'm thinking of waiting it out, learning a bit more about the VW and seeing what else comes my way. I've been digging a bit through the classifieds on here and I found a couple of them that I liked. I've also emailed the ad that was posted on here of the blue bug. I actually really like that one and I definitely can tell it's all original just from what I've read from you guys and the pics shown of it. Keep you all posted on what I decide and find.
Thanks again to everyone. Really excited to find something.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little trick for anyone cruising craigslist ; obvious to some :

Spelling Volkswagon wrong ; check out Volkswagen toon !!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up some more. While blue car is nice it is not "original.
It has red flags also to me. It looks like the paint under the rear lid is a different body color as is the inside of the rear lid.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: I found a car and it's hidden away in my area! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So upon my continued search, I was recommended to a local VW guru. A individual who has been a avid VW admirer and collector for 15+ years. A friend of a friend for a very long time, somebody I can trust. That's his brown 55 oval window right next to the other bug. Well it just so happens that he is selling this awesome 1960 Ragtop. He's in the process of putting it back together after a fresh paint job inside and out. Has all the original trimmings and lights, original interior which is about a 5 out of 10. No rips or tears in the seats, but faded. The head liner will need replacement and new carpet. New Ragtop covering with original internals, even the locking handle! The pan is in excellent shape with little rust. Original engine apron. Deluxe model with chrome trimmings around window and it has the original black California license plate. It's been lowered and the front has been narrowed the correct way. upgraded 12volt with a 1600CC engine. I'm buying it for $7000 which is possibly right around where it's worth as is I'm thinking. I might be $1000 over the value possibly, but with the new paint job, should be worth it.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice......any more pics? Any more details about the "little rust" in the pans? Have you driven it yet?

I also saw that the one you looked at on ebay sold for $6,300 Shocked
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Looks nice......any more pics? Any more details about the "little rust" in the pans? Have you driven it yet?

I also saw that the one you looked at on ebay sold for $6,300 Shocked

Thanks! I've been trying to upload more pictures of it, but that process on this site keeps giving me problems. I'll keep trying. I have not yet driven it, but he assured me that if I wanted it for a daily driver that it would not be an issue. I haven't given him all of the money yet, as I will do that when the car is complete and a final inspection is done.

I saw that as well!! for $700 more I got this rad 1960 Ragtop which is a lot rarer than a 1966 I believe. lol Plus I was able to talk to the guy for hours about vw's, his other rare cars he owns and this one of course. I'm pretty stoked on it.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Here are a few more pics of the car. Reply with quote

I'll try and get some better pics of the care this weekend. Hopefully the seller would have more items added back onto the car. Is there anything about the 60' that had one off part's that I should ask about if the seller has them? I know he has the snowflake taillights.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I would really love a interior that look's period correct. Something that is going to pop with this exterior color. It's sort of a fog gray (light gray). The lighting in the warehouse makes it look a little different. can't wait to see it in the sun. Any suggestions on interior combos' would be appreciated.
I'm wondering if that's the original interior.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to tell you but if you want the original tail lights you are going to need to repaint the fenders
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
Hate to tell you but if you want the original tail lights you are going to need to repaint the fenders

Well you cant say that and not tell me why. Hahaha why is that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: