Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Apple Pocket Watch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Ha!
Not at all an Apple hater......,just enjoying the humor of the Pocket Watch.

This thread has morphed into a "stupid expensive watches are stupid" thread.
I've seen no serious Apple hate at all.

Dave

Morphed or hi-jacked? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I wear a watch every day and have several relatively inexpensive watches, including two wind-ups. I like them because they look nice to me (a Movado I bought on my first credit card out of college, a German A.B. Art I bought shortly after 9/11, a Rotary and the pocket watch). I like small, precise machinery, like model trains and watches. And several of them have a lot of personal significance to me. True, I don't need them to know what time it is, but every time I want to look at something I like, all I have to do is tilt my wrist. I do it dozens of times a day.
But I sure wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on a Rolex or a Breitling or one of those other outrageously expensive watches. I feel now that's crossing the line from "nice to look at", to "look at me! look at me!"

Yes and non watch people would never understand. For a better understanding take a look at NAWCC website or attend a regional or perhaps the worldwide traders. I've been a watch and clock repairman for over 25 years specializing in railroad pocket watches which were mandated by the govt after a horrific train wreck, ck your history on that one.

Wrist watches became popular after being used by officers during WW1. Rolex was the first water proof watch. Many innovations including electrics during the 50s, Hamilton was first. Some of you older farts will recall the accutron by bulova it used a tuning fork and predates the quartz watches which have saturated the market now. During the 70s you could still buy reasonably priced mechanical automatic 17 jewel watches mainly seiko. Check eBay and see that they now sell for upwards of a thousand dollars. The 6117, 6105 , and 6309 divers are bringing the money now. There was a time when watches were passed down father to son and people including many disabled veterans could earn a decent living servicing them. But today you buy a plastic watch at Walmart that lasts a few years then throw it away because its cheaper to buy another piece of plastic shit from china. Just like I've watched many old VW mechanics die off I've seen a lot of good watch repair guys leave as well. Just for grins do a search for Illinois Bunn special or Hamilton 992B or Elgin Father Time look at the craftsmanship and attention to detail from a time gone by.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted with my most recent acquisition:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much for Apple stuff (I'll reserve my opinion in good taste) but I do love me my Moto 360. Very handy paired with my giant Nexus 6.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Pocket Watch Reply with quote

Just in time for Christmas will be getting two of these apple watches. We don't hate watches or apple products, have had good experience with both here's a real watch. It's vintage April 1968 model 6105 marked proof/proof which means nothing to you unless you know vintage seiko. You can buy a good running VW for less than what this watch costs today. Very Happy

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Pocket Watch Reply with quote

Funny way the "Seiko" looks like it slid around a bit on the dial.

An "automatic" Seiko? So manual wind not battery powered?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Pocket Watch Reply with quote

Self winder
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Pocket Watch Reply with quote

Yes, I stand corrected. But self-winders also allow for manual winding as well, don't they? I never had an automatic so I don't know.

Wahlly17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Pocket Watch Reply with quote

Samsung has a pretty dope smart watch...just so happens to have a longer battery life and a lower price tag. My brother is a Samsung rep so I get to see some of the stuff before it see's the stores. Could really take it or leave it though. Not much for tech items. the circle gear headphones and the VR gaming goggles are pretty sweet though.
PowLo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Is there room between the Apple Guys and the Apple Haters for an "it don't matter much to me" guy? Laughing

We call him "Lucky Pierre". He's the guy in the middle.

How about 'Indifferent Icarus' ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: