Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber IDF Tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do the idle mixtures at least 2-3 laps. When you adjust one it changes the conditions for the other 3. When you aren't making any CHANGES you are done.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddle for ya.. What is the name of the one-legged waitress at IHOP? Guess the answer ... win the prize.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
56vwoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

Ilene
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I LEAN". Yes you are. Lean lean. Man just shove the 52/130/200 combo in there and see what happens. Why keep jacking around? I have tuned this combo over and over....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
"I LEAN". Yes you are. Lean lean. Man just shove the 52/130/200 combo in there and see what happens. Why keep jacking around? I have tuned this combo over and over....

because I don't have that combo in my tool box, when I placed an order for the ones I need, it was strongly recommended that I instead try the combo I'm trying right now first..

begin vent:

so I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a delicate situation. Murzi and John, you both have more experience than I do, and I value and respect both of your opinions. you both are also giving contradictory opinions right now and I'm just doing my best to not insult or offend either of you because, like i said, I value and respect you both.

I ordered my jets from John, he strongly cautioned me to try his recommendation first. I'm trying it. that doesn't mean that I don't believe you Murzi, I'm just giving his ideas a go first, if that doesn't work, I'll order the jets I need to give your ideas a try.

I don't want this thread to become a pissing match about who has done this more or knows more, we all got shit to bring to the table.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Just got home from work, going to change, then head out, re do the mixture screws again from baseline, and see how it does.

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a delicate situation. Murzi is no dummy. We just disagree on jetting a bit. That's fine.

If it's popping at idle you either have an exhaust leak, or need to re-set the idle mixtures (assuming linkage is not affecting things).

The jet size is irrelevant at idle, since the mixture is set by the mixture screw ONLY. You can have a 100 idle jet, or a 40 idle jet, and have the same idle mixture. The only affect the idle jet size has is OFF IDLE, at light throttle settings.

There is nothing "wrong" with rich jetting. Rich runs very smooth, it just soils plugs and gives up MPG. It's easier to sneak up on the "perfect" tune from the lean side, since problems are much more obvious. This is not the case leaning from the rich side of perfect. That's why I always recommend tuning from the lean side.

If you just want to get rid of someone and not hear from them again, recommend rich jetting. By the time they realize their MPG sucks, they are long gone. "It runs great, but I only get 14mpg".

What is a compression reading on the engine? If it's 150+ it will take a vastly different jet (for the same carbs), than if it's 120, or 100psi.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't bother me a bit. I just a pulled a 1850, with a 2241 cam and 40's out of my baja. Jets... 52/130/200. 25mpg all day long. 019 distributor.

Could it be tweaked more? Yeah, but every time the weather changes I don't want my buddy complaining. The "perfect" tune will change with weather and fuel. I build engines for friends that drive these things on the weekend for fun, the last thing you want to do is be jacking with them to get them to run right on cruise night.

For some the mental challenge is the whole hobby. I want to have fun.

My steps are simple... I have a wideband, I fill up with E10 87 octane and jet from there...worst case scenario. I also have a almost every size jet from 50-170 in my tackle box, so I have the luxury of trying stuff. In my experience you are gonna pull out your hair jetting leaner than 13.2 with a mechanical advance distributor. And in my experience, his jetting right now is lean...14's on idle and probably about the same on mains.

It'll be interesting how this unravels. John and I will always disagree. I am sea level and that is the extent of my experience. If it helps great. Judging by the couple of PM's I have gotten, it has helped some.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you both chime in as responsible adults that you can disagree but not start a war.. Smile

I went ahead and baselined it again (mixture screws lightly seated, back out 2.5 turns, fire it up and turn them in until it runs bad then back them out until it runs best..)

Went through each screw three times making minor adjustments, so I think they're pretty decent now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mazt8IM-lzk

I checked all four barrels with my "snail meter" and 1, 3 and 4 are pulling 5, while 2 pulls maybe 5.25... hard to tell, slightly more than 5 but not 5 and a half.. So I would say they are synced up pretty well..

I rechecked my timing while I was out there, I'm thinking that it might be part of the problem too.. It's running at 14* idle and 33* full advance between 3800 and 4000 rpms..

Also, just because it was brought up and I don't know if it makes a difference.. this engine has 10:1CR and I run 93 octane pump gas..

As for compression reading, I'm guessing you mean cylinder compression? I've never bought or taken the time to make the tool to measure (IIRC that's where you remove a spark plug, bring the piston to BDC, connect a gauge that measures PSI and rotate the engine to piston TDC.. Is that right?)

I had to deliver a phone charger to my wife at work though, it was only maybe a 5 minute drive, but it did seem to be a bit smoother. At initial start up, it's idling low at about 600rpms, but once warm it kicks up to about 1100..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all carb adjustments on a 100% hot engine. You have too much idle timing, need to back that out. I think you should aim for 28 total advance, idle should be around 7-9 BTDC.

The excessive timing (with that CR) is going to cause hot start problems, and pinging when running it, IMO.

tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, backed my timing down to 7* idle which put me at about 28.5* advance..

After doing that I did two rounds of checking the mixture screws (didn't re-baseline them, just turned in til it ran bad, and back out til it ran best..)

will report back the next time i go anywhere, dunno if that will be tonight though..

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: jet doctor's Reply with quote

I installed the cb performance jet doctors and now it runs rich .

Do I need to change idle jets?

never had this before but, I do like that the jet doctors have eliminated the clogging of the idle circuit.

Thank You for any advise.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drove around a little this morning, seems to be a little smoother, still a drastic difference in idle until it warms up, but that's just what it is.. i was able to get it to about 5-600 rpm when cold and about 1000-1100 rpm when warm.

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates???
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so I've been driving it daily since my last post. it is running a LOT better than it was, but I think there's still some tuning to be done..

I have to rev it up a bit to get going from a standstill or it falters and stumbles. once rolling, it pops occasionally in all gears at about 1/4 throttle, somewhere around 2k RPMs.. in 3rd gear at around 3200 RPMs it sometimes pops, sometimes just kinda stumbles..

If i'm cruising at a steady speed anywhere between 2500 and 3400 or so, and then hit the gas to pass someone or just speed up, it hesitates, falters a little, and then gets up and goes..

Just seems like it could be going a bit smoother..

I wish I had a wideband tool so I could use my exhaust bung and nail this down for sure, but at the moment I don't.. :/

edit: I also did the math when I filled up my tank tonight.. I'm getting 16mpg :/

This same engine (before the rebuild, but same CR and everything) used to get between 25-33mpg..

Last edited by tattooed_pariah on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its lean....... 52/130/200
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Its lean....... 52/130/200

I'm inclined to agree..

Been in traffic a lot this week, seems like i've got a dead zone.. Today I've narrowed it down for 2nd gear anyway.. between about 1500 and 2500 RPMs it creeps along, but then between 28 and 3k, it coughs and BAM suddenly I've got the power I expect from it.

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be amazed at how even such a slight jet change will change the way that car runs. 52 should do the idles but 130 might not even be enough...depends on a couple of variables. E10 gas really increases the need for a fatter mixture.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
E10 gas really increases the need for a fatter mixture.

even at 93 octane?

might try just bumping up the idles and putting the 120's back in first..

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...even at 93. E10 is the reason so many of you guys are pulling your hair out. You have to jet much richer. Stoich on E10 is like 14.16 or something. Anyway... how that relates to us is you can take the "old rules" and throw them out of the window. You have to move that AFR down to make it run right. Just gotta trust me bro.... Been there done that.

Max power with "regular gas" is around 12.5-12.6, not with e10, it's about 12.2. With a 120 main jet you are in the 14's AFR...promise. Now add that .5 factor and you could be in the 15's. Big poop with a 009.

I'm at sea level, and the view at 4000ft is way different. Just saying. Add some fuel....have some fun.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Big poop with a 009.

no 009 here.. 6AL with msd billet distributor and blaster 2 coil..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: