Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ally vs Chrome molly
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So dual springs will need Cro-moly? There is an indication in an early post that it also depends on the rev's (8k will need Cro-moly).

I like the idea of the aluminium to allow heat expansion, and avoid the lash differences at hot and cold. (And also avoid the noise).

Is there an aluminium push rod set that isn't nearly 400euro? I'm not planning on revving near 8k (top of about 6k revs).
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual springs and pushrod type is based on cam use. Chromolly can be made to be quiet. As specified mantons are about 60% cheaper than hd alumiums. Aluminums are quieter but imo not by much when geometry is set up right, the tips have settled in, and Op temp is reached. My welded fan from racin jacin is now the loudest thing in my car anyway. Steel based push rods are set to zero lash ( i set mine to .002) and aluminum .006. The hd aluminums can do what chromollys do. Most engines will have valve train noise up until Op temp or expansion temp is reached. Another added benefit of the alu is wieght.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
cliveawn wrote:
Johannes knows his stuff,i wasnt quite sure of how well known his products are but now I can see how many people use his stuff.
I think my motor is going to be pretty sweet...
He isnt cheap but its just pure quality the work getting done and he is a really nice guy!

If JPM were in my area, I'd be there every day hounding Johannes every day for a job and soaking up as much knowledge as I possibly could from him. I need to plan a trip to Sweden to go there.

Thats all good but he is a busy guy,when i go and see him we chat for a bit but not too long,i can see he is busy and say ''I will leave you to it Johannes''
If he has time he will just say no no,its ok.

Are you sure you want to come to Sweden? the women are ugly and the countryside and nature is not very nice....(joke)

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm going to make it happen. I'll sweep his floors for free just to be around that kind of expertise. Maybe I can soak up some knowledge before it's time to go back.

Looks like a Swedish Rosetta Stone buy is in the stars for me.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been selling ours successfully for over 15 years, they are great!

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Pushrods-Set-of-8-p/acnhdalpr.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Pushrods-Dual-Tapered-p/acndthdalpr.htm

Hustlers67 wrote:
So dual springs will need Cro-moly? There is an indication in an early post that it also depends on the rev's (8k will need Cro-moly).

I like the idea of the aluminium to allow heat expansion, and avoid the lash differences at hot and cold. (And also avoid the noise).

Is there an aluminium push rod set that isn't nearly 400euro? I'm not planning on revving near 8k (top of about 6k revs).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: dual tapered Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
We've been selling ours successfully for over 15 years, they are great!

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Pushrods-Dual-Tapered-p/acndthdalpr.htm

One question: what is the diameter at the widest point of your dual tapered pushrods? The description says 3/8" at the end of the pushrod body, but I can't seem to find the middle diameter. Thanks.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: aluminum dual-tapered pushrods Reply with quote

Hustlers67 wrote:

Is there an aluminium push rod set that isn't nearly 400euro?

Yes. After researching the five main suppliers for dual-tapered aluminum pushrods, I decided to buy the Logmech brand from Sweden: http://logmech.se/eng/products/engine/pushrods/

Since I live in Canada, the exchange rate played a part in my decision and Logmech was priced at 1756SEK (subtract the 20%VAT from the list price). This worked out to $248CDN ($203USD):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: aluminum pushrods Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Interestingly...I'm surprised that the high strength aluminum PR manufacturers are not using (or maybe they have tried)...some of the newer/better alloys that are even harder and stiffer and lighter like 7033 and 7050. but they are hard to work with.
Ray

I've been looking at using aluminum pushrods to get rid of the large lash that occurs with my chromoly pushrods after the engine warms up...I've seen 0.015" lash.

Here are a couple others that are 7075 aluminum. How does that compare to the 7033 and 7050?

http://logmech.se/eng/products/engine/pushrods/

http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_...=&all=

Awesome stuff. Strongest of the 7000 series. Not cheap. Is hard enough in the unhardened state to be polished like steel. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: