Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 "Annie" Build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: 1977 "Annie" Build Reply with quote

Hello! This is a thread just to document my progress on my new (and very first) 1977 Baywindow 7-Passenger MicroBus
I picked it up for $1,000 back in some shady area off of Gandy on the Saint Petersburg side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(He also has a '75 SuperBeetle AutoStick for those interested)

The guys name is Henry, and he was using the van as a shed basically. This is all the shit he kept piled in there

When he bought it, someone backed into him making quite a nasty dent

It could probably be kicked out, but I'll do it right.

There's some pretty nasty rust under the windshield and on the A-pillar on the drivers side. It's probably going to be the most time consuming

It's a bit concerning but with the help of the internet, nothing is impossible.

The floor and belly pans don't show any structural compromise. A little lovin' and they'll probably be okay with minimal to no patchwork. Although both doglegs are pretty shot out (didnt get a clear photo of that)

Last edited by PhallicFlash on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie also has this overhead AC unit that I fell in love with when I first saw it. I didn't realize it had so many components to it Shocked there's a huge radiator underneath the belly and multiple lines going from it to the floor.

Does anybody know if parts are hard to find for that A/C unit? I have the compressor but pieces are coming apart and cracking to the touch

You can see the pieces that broke off there on the seat.
Speaking of the interior, it's pretty nice. Although, I don't know if the panels are original. They seem done nicely, though

The headliner is extremely taught and is actually becoming brittle and has some pretty big holes where the dome light sits. I have no clue if it's savable, but I'm thinking not. Any thoughts on it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing her home was hard because sitting dead still for a year isn't good for anything I reckon.
She was beginning to sink in the dirt but we caught it before things got bad.

We brought a 3 Ton jack, a VW Beetle dolly (which didn't work of course), an air tank and a sweet tow chain my dad held on to from his towing years.
The front left was blown to bits, and the left rear had a broken valve stem.
The spare still held air so we filled it up and went out to get the stem replaced

We got the wheels on and rolled it to the road and backed my truck onto it

It had no brakes but it had an E-Brake that wouldn't even pass on a slight incline.
Dad took the tow chain and looped it underneath the two front tow hoops.
Since we were using a chain, I had to ride in the van 3 miles back home.
And since we didn't have very good brakes on the van, this resulted in 3 or 4 collisions with my truck. No marks on either, but nerve-racking nonetheless.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, after getting it home, we parked it next to the garage and kinda cleaned out all the big stuff.
After about 30 minutes of cleaning, I couldn't help but try to see if the battery still held power... and she does!

Going to do some engine work and a little rust neutralization with Aspho tomorrow.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Congrats on the Bus. Nice to see another bus being save😄.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Holy cow!! Did you charge the battery before testing it? How long does the bus sitting in that yard? And most of all, what BRAND of battery is that? Shocked Shocked Mad
1969 Buggy
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackivory69 wrote:
Hi. Congrats on the Bus. Nice to see another bus being save😄.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Holy cow!! Did you charge the battery before testing it? How long does the bus sitting in that yard? And most of all, what BRAND of battery is that? Shocked Shocked Mad

Yeah! It's only enough juice to hold the lights on. I don't think the starter is wired up either, though. We will see if it cranks the engine over tomorrow after we drain the tank and go through the lines and all that jazz.
Also, it's an AutoCraft Silver. Looks like Advanced Auto has thier shit together, huh? Wink
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that thing is awesome! I love the colors, and is that The Lorax on your driver's side door?

Wild bus, looks like it's going to be a fun one!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more pics on the Dr. Suess theme the previous owner had going on

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Your bus was built with a nice two-liter, Type 4 fuel injected engine that will make driving a pleasure... but ONLY after it has been thoroughly serviced. The fuel injection system on these buses work great AFTER you have carefully read and followed all of the component test and troubleshooting procedures. The system will also really screw with your sunshiny day if there are ANY vacuum leaks.

Tcash has provided you with a great springboard of very useful information. Start there, and not back at the engine trying to make it turn over or run... yet.

Your air conditioning system was very likely dealer installed, and will be expensive to renovate. Can't speak for you, but were it me, my time and money would be spent on all those things Tcash linked you to. I also had a great running 1977 fuel injected bus, and learned a lot about it, (like it has to be given a lot of respect for engine management controls) but I sold it back to a fellow in Germany.

Be ready to shell out a lot of money on your engine... both interior mechanical parts like cylinder heads and camshaft/followers and machine shop work, and also all the exterior components like exhaust, engine management, etc. Not saying you will need to, just saying be prepared. I still have two air cooled buses and the truck, and now two air cooled Vanagons, but all of them need expensive mechanical work to make them truly dependable. This is old technology without a great amount of readily available quality parts and service. This is something I hope you will take to heart: You can make it run for cheap, but you can ruin it that way to. Better to take it slow and really read up on this subject. I have learned an incredible amount of solid information from very knowledgeable people right here on the Samba. Cool
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you REALLY NEED an AC, I would strip the guts out of the overhead console and make it into a killer sound system. Use your imagination and enjoy.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
Unless you REALLY NEED an AC, I would strip the guts out of the overhead console and make it into a killer sound system. Use your imagination and enjoy.

That's actually a really good idea. I live in Florida and A/C is sometimes a must, but I think the overhead is a little overboard. I think the dash and door vents will do just fine. I was thinking of taking it down and making it a storage compartment or just eliminating it completely.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhallicFlash wrote:

I live in Florida and A/C is sometimes a must, but I think the overhead is a little overboard. I think the dash and door vents will do just fine. I was thinking of taking it down and making it a storage compartment or just eliminating it completely.

Probably the strongest reason they were mounted overhead is to provide more even cooling air flow to the cabin compartment... where up to six people could be sitting if you had a three person middle bench seat... aside from the driver and front passenger.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we got Annie running today!
Mostly thanks to dad and his extensive mechanical knowledge with his previous vans.
We took out this old beat up coil that had a few dents in it to fit in the bracket

Dad said it was a pretty good coil because he has one on his Mustang supposedly.
But I took it out and replaced it with a Bosch coil that dad had saved because "They last forever." I'll take his word for it

After that, we drained 3 gallons from the tank and turned over the engine a few times to shoot the rest out.

I wish I had paid more attention to my dad tinkering with his his bus over for the past few years because I was lost when we got to the wiring. The guy before us left some of the wiring from the fuel injection stuff that was in there and it was a mess. That shit is coming out when we drop the engine (Annie has been converted to a carburetor set up by the way)

I popped the distributor out and adjusted the points just to get it started up.
Dad said it's a Bosch distributor with new American/Japanese rotor, cap and condenser. So it looks like the seller tried to get it started when we showed interest (with old gas too!)

Annie also has some tenants that don't pay rent!

Here's a video of Annie's cold start old start!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=845683772165294

I'm going to replace all the lines, seals and filters and whatever else needs changing back there when we drop the engine. So don't worry, I don't plan on driving it like this.

Also, I put in some old (rather period correct Wink ) seat covers while we work on it so we don't ruin the interior
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've decided today that our main focus will begin in the rear with the engine and the engine bay/hatch and electrical. Working on the most expensive bits first.
Looks like I got some major studying to do!
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOD DAMMIT, DAD

Laughing

It was too brittle anyways I guess. It probably needed to be replaced
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see where this bus takes you. What a bitching ride. The seat covers are a good idea, too. Greasy dirty hands don't go well with old bus seats. I wish I had frowny face seat covers lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
I can't wait to see where this bus takes you. What a bitching ride. The seat covers are a good idea, too. Greasy dirty hands don't go well with old bus seats. I wish I had frowny face seat covers lol

I've got some ideas. Nothing too crazy but she's gonna be clean when I'm done
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much time to mess around today. It starts right up but the condenser is bad, so it stalls after a minute or two of running.
I decided to take the dash apart to find the M-Code plate today.
As I was doing that, I fucked up the 4-Way Hazards.
Here's a picture after I got it all back together

The black piece is held on by 4 little indents on the aluminum piece. Inside, there's a little circuit with a tiny ball. The little ball sits on the spring in the circuit. The ball rolls the circuit back and forth on two indents in the aluminum, giving the clunk of the "on" and "off" position.
I thought it was pretty neat.
Except they don't work.

I ripped out the indicator thing and lone behold, it was some shotty Korean part

Though I don't know if the indicators are directly related to the hazards working, but it makes sense because the indicator don't work either.

I got to the M-Code plate and decoded it off of TCash's link for M-Code decoding. I wiped the plate down with lacquer thinner and got my camera out. (It was still almost impossible to read)
It took a bit to shove my camera in there but I think I got a good shot.

Here's it decoded
[/i]

I don't know if I got all the numbers correct because my paint code isn't popping up. (Unless it's supposed to be like that) But I believe the Sage Green/White is original considering the jambs and interior are done so precisely.

September 27th of 1976 matches the sticker in the jamb, so I'll trust the date. (09/27 is my parents anniversary -- It was meant to be!)
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what dad found in the garage!

An old 1968 dash with an aftermarket Altimeter. That's cool but we live in Florida, so it's useless Dancing

Edit: With closer inspection, I have realized that the 3rd gauge is not an Alitimeter.. But an RPM gauge (I never looked at it, I assumed my dad knew what it was)
I may use it

Last edited by PhallicFlash on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: