Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 "Annie" Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bus to school today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pressure washed from top to bottom and knocked as much shit loose as I could. It came out pretty clean!

I got the luxury spot at school, too. I get the access to the lift Wink

I've already begun cutting the old battery tray out and pushing all the wires through the frame. I think I may need to rinse the tank out..

Now that I've got a better look at everything underneath, everything seems to be in tip top shape. We've got a bent tie rod and a few busted brake lines.

Only a few hoses for the heater setup underneath seem to be missing. Most of tbe AC stuff is still there too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days in school and we've already got the battery tray fitted. It was a bitch, and I've noticed people having trouble with it here on the samba.
Just a few words of advice --
if you're replacing your BayWindow battery tray -- get all of the old tray (plywood, angle iron etc.) off.
No matter how hard it may be to get off, it'll save you when you're trying to fit it in there. Especially on the lip on the left side
And don't worry about the outside panels, it's gonna be impossible to avoid damage on those. (Mine had been replaced previously and began to rust again)

You could probably cut the fender-well to get better access to it if you were impatient.

And cut the corner like this --

It'll fit like a champ!

I'm going to cut off the rust and make a patch tomorrow where the battery tray sits, then I'm going to weld it all in at the same time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late bay battery trays have plywood??? Can you explain why you had to cut the corner of the tray?
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoolieman wrote:
Late bay battery trays have plywood??? Can you explain why you had to cut the corner of the tray?

I was making a joke, haha. I've seen plenty of buses with makeshift battery trays. (And I'm only 18 )
You cut the corner because the part where the fender-well meets the quarter panel is super tight. And the only way to get the tray in there without cutting the corner off is to take the whole corner of the bus off. It's easier this way since you can just shove a piece of metal back in there when you're done and make it one solid piece again
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhallicFlash wrote:
Skoolieman wrote:
Can you explain why you had to cut the corner of the tray?

You cut the corner because the part where the fender-well meets the quarter panel is super tight. And the only way to get the tray in there without cutting the corner off is to take the whole corner of the bus off. It's easier this way since you can just shove a piece of metal back in there when you're done and make it one solid piece again

Great project and best of luck with it. Take it slow since your 18, ask lots of questions, measure twice, cut once, yada yada.

While I wish I was 18 again, I'd only go back if I could bring along what I know now. Cool For example, you absolutely don't have to cut any corners to make the replacement tray fit.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5916961
(sold - but not forgotten)
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the battery tray finished today. Seam sealed and welded in nicely. Came home and the engine gasket set was waiting for me! It's gonna be a busy weekend..
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to dig into this gasket set right now, I got other things going on.... Racing!
The only reason why I'm saying this on a VW site is because everything in this picture was inspired by a certain Volkswagen Wink
https://instagram.com/p/0LzSE4LbC9/

Wish me luck guys! I'll be right back on top of the engine when I get back
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck
thanks to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GasketSet.html

Tcash
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! ratwell.com is a godsend!
So far this week I've dug out my fuel tank. It's spotless inside! Going to do a sand and respray on the outer soon. Already tossed the fuel sender, lots of oxidation and corrosion on that.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent most of my time this week cutting, patching and welding holes up.
I also air-chiseled my apron off. Fabbed a new one and got it all ready for the spot welder!

(It's more refined now with a lip for the seals and less hang on the tabs)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhallicFlash wrote:
Already tossed the fuel sender, lots of oxidation and corrosion on that.

You might want to dig that sender out of the trash.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380693

Good Luck
Tcash
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Tcash said. They last a lot longer than the new replacements when they are repaired, and that's easy.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be a young gun with a few hack jobs up my sleeve but I'm perfectly fine with a good replacement. If anything, I'll cut an access hole with a door and latch like my dad did. Or I'll find someone who actually knows what they're doing
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as frequent updates but steady progress is being made. The apron is spot welded on, and I've got that area about finished with welding.
Currently focusing on cleaning the few rusts spots in the channels for the seals. Cutting up a few pieces and panel-bonding them in next week.
After that, I'm going to finish up the rear end with bodywork over the patches and move my way forward.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bit busy with bodywork and stripping on the engine hatch, covering patches and fixing some dents on it from previous bodywork I stripped off.
I stripped off around 7-8 layers of material. E-Coat, sealer, original paint, black, red, and two layers of green. That's only on the hatch where the bus has actually taken a little damage in both corners and apron, probably resulting in a few spot jobs, sealing and what-have-you.

Like I said before, no more photos while the bus is in the shop! She'll be out in a few weeks for summer break.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: