Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pan repair
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Pan repair Reply with quote

Got my pan quarter panels and cut out the rotted pieces. The battery section and most of the pan were good but the lowest part of the pan had rusted through because the rear window leaked and the sunroof did too. Cut up the new quarter to fit and it's pretty tight. Used weld through primer and I'm going to weld it in tomorrow. Should I take the paint off of the new panel and spray it with the weld through primer? What brand of seam sealer should I use? I've read about 3M heavy body seam sealer, what have you all used? Not going with any silicone house stuff ever but Sikaflex makes a pretty bullet proof sealer that may work good and it's paintable. We use it to seal the seams on water storage tanks. Thanks for your input.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Pan repair Reply with quote

Wow , nothing? So many helpful guys on this site I figured someone would step up to give me a hint or two. Hope tomorrow's better! Thanks in advance, Jon
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3m has always done well for me, and I usually don't trust the "paint" that comes on replacement parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the experienced responders here recommend that you remove the finish that comes on new parts. They are probably just tired of answering the same question!

I think I used 3M seam sealer and I was happy with it.
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Pan repair Reply with quote

Thanks guys I tried searching for an answer but after two hours of reading posts I was getting bleary eyed.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you can't go wrong removing the E-coating that comes on the replacement pans, and using a good etching, epoxy, or comparable metal primer and top coat. Usually the primer that comes on the repair panels, especially the black stuff, is to keep them from rusting from the time they're stamped, to the time that they actually get installed. A good aircraft paint stripper usually does the trick. I wouldn't spray the whole panel with the weld-thru primer, but a good epoxy or Master Series Silver primer instead. Then a good top coat. I used SEM seam sealer and was happy with it. Any good quality auto seam sealer that doesn't harden will be good to go with.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Pan repair Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah I wasn't going to use the weldable primer except where I was welding. The E-coating is really whimpy and comes off very easily. I didn't think to pick up an epoxy primer so I guess I'll have to wait until later in the week to weld the patch in. I've been testing my settings on my welder with pieces from both new and old scraps and doing strength tests by bending the two pieces. I'm getting good penetration as evidenced by seeing the weld from the backside but no burn throughs and the metal tears before the weld. I'm going to spot it in place then stitch the rest a little at a time. What brand aircraft paint remover do you use? Thanks again, Jon
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read pros AND cons re. weld-through primer . . . I decided to forgo using it when replacing my pans. Instead, I cleaned both surfaces before welding, then I used a hypo-applicator (one of these . . . http://www.amazon.com/Gaunt-Industries-HYPO-25-Applicator-Weld/dp/B00EZRQOAY) to flow thinned paint into the joint. You, of course, want to get the patch to fit tightly together when welding, then capillary action will draw the paint into the joint . . . you will actually be able to see the paint seep to the opposite side of the joint, so you know that the joint is filled with paint. After giving the paint time to cure, seam sealer on both sides will do the job.

Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the aircraft paint stripper, phosphoric acid etch, por15, and seam sealer. Going to weld in my pan patch panel after stripping and etching, should I prime before por15ing or after, then top coat after seam sealing? Everyone has their way of doing it and I'm so confused by a million different posts. Does it sound like it will work the way I described? No rattle can epoxy primer to be had here in the islands right now. Thanks.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to make sure the POR15 is compatible with whatever primer you use. I thought POR15 was put on over bare (after metal etch) metal? The welding process will burn off some of whatever you put on there, so I would leave the outer 2 inches of the metal where you're going to weld bare. Then prime after it's welded in. I would also at least prime before seam sealer to get some protection into the cracks. With Master Series Silver primer, I primed before seam sealing, then again after seam sealing over the seam sealer, then top coated. Don't think you can do that with POR15 though as its a one coat system.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted . . . then I sealed the seams.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: