Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What can I used to bond the torn part of my ft bumper strip
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: What can I used to bond the torn part of my ft bumper strip Reply with quote

It's a 73 SB and the rubber is torn just a bit. Also this was caused by a red light runner almost 4 years ago . The original bumper had the impact bar but not the welded on cover that fits between the bumper and front panel mine was stock that way. Also the original rubber strip fit the original bumper yet on the used re-chromed bumper ( the re-chrome sucks just wiping it was a paper towel causes small scratches) the bolts at the ends of the rubber strip are about an inch long of each end from the holes in the replacement bumper. There must be a difference between 1973 and 1970 bumpers, I think 70 was the first year they had this style bumper . The bumper they got me at this body shop came with a screwed up rubber strip and the impact bar , both bumper brackets and a good left front guard but a right rear guard on the right . I would have preferred they just repaired my original FT bumper it's not torn just bent . I think I can pound it out myself the chrome is still fine.

I now have 4 good left front guards three left rear guards and two right rear guards I also have 4 new rubber guard covers that I got a while back .

My left front guard I got all 4 years ago and the left front was bent but I was able to pound it out perfect now it's really bent but I think I can pound it back again it's a bit worse than it was when I got it . I was thinking of using a L & R rear on the front . I know they are not as deep as the fronts but look like they would fit and be better than nothing. The curve is pretty close at that point on each bumper since I placed one in the proper spot and it looked straight not aimed right or left.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 70 bumper was all by itself (like a few other items on the car). For 71 VW trimmed the front bumper with a "slash cut end", and used it thru the end of production. I really don't know if the rubber strip changed between the years or not though. I'd have to check the parts book on my other computer to know for sure.

But for something to fix/glue the rubber to the bumper, I'd use some 3M window weld. That stuff will glue metal to glass to rubber, so it should work for that. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The 70 bumper was all by itself (like a few other items on the car). For 71 VW trimmed the front bumper with a "slash cut end", and used it thru the end of production. I really don't know if the rubber strip changed between the years or not though. I'd have to check the parts book on my other computer to know for sure.

But for something to fix/glue the rubber to the bumper, I'd use some 3M window weld. That stuff will glue metal to glass to rubber, so it should work for that. Wink

I just want to glue the rubber back to it's metal backing and back to itself . When the fellow hit my old bumper it tore the rubber on an angle so I can lift it and see the internal metal strip . I think that black 3M stuff would do it thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: