Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added two things to my stable. One is a 74 Acapulco with 40k original miles, and the other is a 73 parts car that will be donating it's front clip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatrickK64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1973 yellow, owner since 1986. Added 1974 air scoops, though.

Pix coming soon. Gotta find 'em on the old computer.
maynardogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: 74 Thing Owner - Huntington Beach CA Reply with quote

Hi there. Two years ago I discovered I was to old and stiff to climb in and out of a dune buggy and wife saw pix of Thing and said why not get something with doors ! Bought my 74 within a week !!! TLC in progress. I live in Huntington Beach, CA. I've seen half dozen other Things running around here in past couple years.
TexasJJJJJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Just bought first Thing Reply with quote

Just bought a 73 Thing.

Plan to use it to teach my kids about fixing cars. That and cruise around Canyon Lake. Cool

It's in good, but not great shape. Lots of fun things to do.

I want to put better seat belts in. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking maybe using a 4-point or 5-point harness. It does have a roll-cage, need to check if it would provide acceptable mounting points.

Apologies for the wheels - they gotta go.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am part of the club. I just bought a Orange 74. It is pretty sweet. I have a bunch of different vw's but this is my first Thing. I already have a handful of keepers in the stall. This is #8.

It was sitting in a backyard for ten years the top is rotten and already in the garbage. The frame is in good shape. I cleaned the carb, replaced some fuel lines and the fuel pump and put license plates on it. I drove it the first three days with the original tires. I had a set of 27 8.50 Cooper all terrains that I put on it. I have been using it as my daily driver for the past week. It still feels like a honeys moon. It even got parked in a car show the second day on the road.

It has some 80's mods done. It has a shovel and a ax on the front upper fenders. It had a winch on it at some point. It has a tach and a oil temp gauge. All in all, it is pretty nice for a field find. It has a Corvair gas heater under the hood. I will probably make some custom bumpers for it and maybe a tire swing for a spare. Probably not anytime soon though, I have crap ton of projects so I am just going to drive it and enjoy it for now. I will work on pictures this weekend.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A June Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 74 Thing few years ago. Exterior is red, on grey primer, on green on original Acapulco pain job. Interior, still original. Drove 2 years, rebuilding motor. Someone painted the white hardtop and side curtains black. Taking back to stock.
Gelfling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My name's Levi and as of a week ago, I'm the excited new owner of a '73 Thing I stumbled upon in Palm Springs, CA. It's still in the shop over there (I live in LA) as I decided to get disc brakes put on the front, then later found out (along with the mechanic) that that meant bigger wheels now have to be added. I was bummed to learn I wouldn't be able to keep the original wheels and hubcaps that it came with but thought it was worth the brake upgrade so sticking with that. The wheels have been ordered and I've been told it should be ready for pick-up on Friday. Really (really) looking forward to finally getting it here.

I'm Canadian and grew up in Alberta, and when I got my license at 16, I looked at the 3 or 4 Things I found in the classifieds but just couldn't justify getting a convertible as my only car in the frozen north. I moved to California a few years ago so when I saw this one sitting on a lot just a few months ago my mind wouldn't let it go.

It appears that the last owner really took care of it. He left a box of manuals and service history in the back seat as well, which really helped. It has the hard top, with a working swamp cooler installed. My guess was that the swamp cooler was added later (and not a dealer upgrade) but if anyone knows whether or not it could be an original upgrade, I'd love to know. The next upgrades on my list will be getting 3 point seatbelts installed (not sure what kind of shop in LA even does that kind of work), new seats with headrests (I'm 6'3"), a slightly better stereo and (eventually) air conditioning.

I was really excited to find this site and all of you here so look forward to checking in more in the future.

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Gelfling!!! Glad you never gave up the dream of a Thing in your life! That one looks pretty good too, great find!

Would like to see some pics of the Swamp cooler... I imagine that's the bubble on the roof??? Never seen that before...

Again, Welcome!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Gelfling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, GI Joe, happy to finally join all of you in this Thing-having adventure. And I'll definitely post some interior and exterior shots of the swamp cooler once I've picked her up from the mechanic and brought her home. I know it's still functioning as I turned it on when I was test-driving it, and there's a 2nd battery under the back seat so I'm assuming that was put in specifically for the swap cooler. Will check in soon!
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a handful of other VW's with my name on the title, but Things have always been my favorite. Here are a few dated pictures of my old '74 Things. Got the white one when I was 17, and the green one at 18.

The white one was an absolute rust bucket, and I couldn't even safely put it on a lift without fear of it crumbling. Shocked We had a torrid off and on love affair throughout high school and college, but last I heard, it lives at the beach in Charleston. I sold it about 6-7 years ago. If anyone has seen it recently, I'd love to hear an update! It should be sporting a TTS roll bar since I kept the VWOA one.

I'm 29 today, and still own the green one. It has 35,000 original miles, and though it's ugly, it's been in dry storage since the early 80's and is very solid. After a long hiatus, I recently restarted the pan-off restoration to build the dream Thing I always intended to, though my taste and subsequent plans for it have been tempered a good bit. I'm taking my time to do it correctly, but I'm super excited to get back behind the wheel of a Thing again! Very Happy

I've known a few of y'all since the Topica email list circa 2001-ish, and am looking forward to getting back in touch with everyone, as well as meeting the folks who've joined the Thing community while I was on 181 sabbatical!

Happy Thinging! Very Happy

danimal5737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: New Kritter Reply with quote

I worked all summer to buy my first 56 VW Beetle. Owned a few since then. i always wanted a Thing and have gotten close several times but decided this one needed to join the collection.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1077289
justinpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Thing II Reply with quote

I'm in Lexington, KY (Horse capital of the world), moved here 10 years ago from Tulsa, OK. I just purchased my second VW Thing. I owned a green '74 back in Oklahoma for a couple years and ended up selling it to a kid (16 years old) on eBay. He and his mom drove down to pick it up. Unfortunately, after our financial transaction, they went to a U-haul rental and got a two wheel dolly to put it on. They put the front wheels on it, and inadvertantly put it in first gear Shocked and took off. I got a call an hour later from the father back in Indiana asking why his wife and son were stalled trying to pull the Thing on the other side of town. I wish I'd just kept it Crying or Very sad . Hopefully he took it home and learned all about air-cooled VW repair.

Anyway, enough about the Thing I no longer own. (I've also previously owned a '74 Gold Sunroof Bug and a '79 Green Westie). Now I have this beauty that I picked up in New Jersey from another theSamba member (sc67).

The gentleman had his mechanic and a body shop rebuild it back to original spec's. (Aside from the roll bar and 8 ball stick shift handle). Oh, and he put in a speedometer that reads in km/h instead of m/h. The first time I drove thru my neighborhood I was thinking "there's no way I'm going 50..." It's a beautiful vehicle and I'm soooo excited to be back in a Thing.

My wife and I love driving the beautiful backroads among the horse farms where we live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pacafeliz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: 1974 VW Safari 181 in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico Reply with quote

hey there, first post here! i'm usually to be found more on guitar/music related forums, but hey, this is worth it! Wink

i'm pat (34, half swiss, half salvadorean - long story...) middle school shrink and musician, living in cholula (outside puebla), mexico.

my parents used to have a blue 181 (called Safari down here) with a white hood when i was born in el salvador in '79.

now last week i finally bought mine. it's a made in mexico (right here in puebla, actually) 1974 which came outta the factory in orange, then refinished in yellow, and now in some sort of (quite terrible) mint/atomic vomit green. poor thing. but well, at least i got it for quite cheap...

it's a bit of a project, but i'm sure i can make something nice outta it.

lotsa pics, info and LOTSA questions coming up soon... promised!

see you round... keep on rockin'!

Pat.[img][/img]
Kubeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: 1971 VW 18-63 Type 181 Kurierwagen from NATO Reply with quote

Hello all! I am Greg of Colorado, USA and I have a rare 1971 M63 Type 181, known officially in Germany as VW 18-63 Kurierwagen.
I say rare as I was told it was one of fifty imported in the 90's. The fact that I have found only one for sale in the USA seems to back-up this assertion. The vehicle still has NATO unit markings. The 210 Recon Company is part of the 21st Armored Recon Brigade, 1st Armored Division (Panzer) based in NW Germany in the town of Augustdorf. I posted pics on the 181 thread if you care to look. I believe her to be 100% original save steering wheel and tires.
I have been informed the owner of The Thing Shop in Chandler has one of the German 18-63s....wondering if anyone else knows of others? I do not believe I have seen one here that is in The USA yet.

Last edited by Kubeler on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted here before with scattered inquiries about Things. I just "won" one on eBay.

The first car I ever drove solo was my dad's '66 Bug. My first car should have been a new Thing but my parents talked me out of getting a convertible. I ended up with a four-year old '69 Mustang instead. My first VW was 13 years later -- an '86 Jetta GLI which lasted 16.5 years. My first convertible was an '02 Cabrio I had purchased two weeks after 9/11. My first air-cooled VW was a '71 Super Beetle I bought in '04 totally stock. I had it four years -- the last two converted to German Look.

There are no elaborate plans for the Thing. I will post pics when it arrives. I will post questions earlier than that. Plans for an Iltis and another Super are shelved for now. I hope at some point I can be a contributor with answers rather than questions.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: 8th time is a charm - 1973 VW Thing Reply with quote

Recently purchased the 8th VW that I've owned since 1977, a 1973 VW Thing. It's going to need some work to get it on the road, parts are on order and should arrive soon.

VW's that I have own over the years have been Type 1's ( 1969, 1967, 1965, 1970, 1968, 1974) and a 1994 VW Fox, first vehicle that I ever had with A/C!

I also owned a 1985 Citroen 2CV6 black/red Charleston for about 20 years, now *that* car was a *blast* to own. I was looking to get another one, but the asking prices are much more than what I purchased the Thing for.

[/img]
Kubeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 VW 18-63 Type 181 Kurierwagen from NATO Reply with quote

Kubeler wrote:
Hello all! I am Greg of Colorado, USA and I have a rare 1971 M63 Type 181, known officially in Germany as VW 18-63 Kurierwagen.
I say rare as I was told it was one of fifty imported in the 90's. The fact that I have found only one for sale in the USA seems to back-up this assertion. The vehicle still has NATO unit markings. The 210 Recon Company is part of the 21st Armored Recon Brigade, 1st Armored Division (Panzer) based in NW Germany in the town of Augustdorf. I posted pics on the 181 thread if you care to look. I believe her to be 100% original save steering wheel and tires.
I have been informed the owner of The Thing Shop in Chandler has one of the German 18-63s....wondering if anyone else knows of others? I do not believe I have seen one here that is in The USA yet.

"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."

Jonny Rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Greetings and Salutations! Reply with quote

Hi,
I am the happy owner of a 1973 VW Thing.

I originally purchased my Thing about a year ago, but then my MBA studies got in the way of me getting it back on the road. Previously, it had been sitting for 5+ years, and it needed a good amount of mechanical TLC.

The good news is that I graduated from school this July, and now the Thing is back on the road. Very Happy Overall, it is in fair shape with some dents and rust, but it is a good driver. Currently, I plan to just maintain it's current shape, address some of the rust areas, and enjoy it on the nice weather days.

I also have a 1956 VW Beetle that I brought back from Germany, and a bunch of Suzuki Samurais. If it makes any sense, my Thing actually reminds me of a cross between a Samurai and a Beetle. It is part offroader/Jeep and part aircooled VW.
Mydadsthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Inherited my thing Reply with quote

Hi thing lovers,
Very sadly, my dad died last year when he crashed his plane, while having a heart attack.... Crying or Very sad And it has come to pass that I am the heir to his 1974 Thing. Cool

I don't know much about them, except that he bought his in 1978, replaced the top once, had it painted and "fixed up" twice, and for all those years, kept it garaged, but drove it regularly. He lived on a small island, and I grew up there, I have driven this thing, whenever I went to visit my folks, for the past 35 years. Never dreamed it would end up in my own garage!

So, first thing ( no pun intended?) I need to get it appraised, for the probate stuff. It runs and is in "good condition" but it not pristine by and means. It only has about 40k miles on it, some dents, very little rust, grimy engine that runs nice...

Next, I want to learn from you all, what I need to know to fix it up and keep it happy. I am open to any tips or advice, and very happy to have found this list.
Thanks!

Sad
becca318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Michigan people here that know a good place to take 73 thing for some body and muffler help? I am no mech but would love to be Very Happy original owners daughter, learned to drive in this car. Great memories would love to keep.[/i]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: