Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Our New Thing Reply with quote

I have been lurking for a while after I purchaced our Thing. We purchaced it in New Port Orgeon and drove it down Hwy 1 1,475 miles to Victoreville Ca. We took 21/2 weeks and enjoyed the trip. Here are a few pictures of it in my back yard and at two car shows were it get lotts of coments. My Wife really thinks it is Cute. Our Golden Retriver loves to go for rides in it.
Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/germanbilly1/DSC_0034_zps9d3b5156.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/germanbilly1/DSC_0010_zps7917719e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/germanbilly1/DSC_00044_zpscde3cb66.jpg[/img[/url]
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm jealous of your brush guards up front. Where did you get them?
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were on it when I bought it. I sure do love them when I park it in my garage as I can put it right up to the wall. I have noticed that these were common on all the military versions. The nut plates are inside the frontend. They don't look like they would be to hard to make.
Bill
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: My adventure buying my Thing Reply with quote

I found my Thing in Bedford Texas. It had been stored in a hangar there for over 20 years. I got a very good deal on it as it had no top or side curtains. A friend and I drove 5 hours to Bedford with his truck and a tow bar. I purchased the Thing and my friend got an emergency phone call and left me there finishing the paperwork. The car ran and drove great but like I said had no top or side curtains. The temperature at this time was 27 degrees. I bundled up and drove several hours back to Beaumont Texas.
The trip was very cold but worth it as I love this car. This is my second Thing to own and I should have never sold the first one. My friends all think Im crazy wanting an older car. They sure all want to ride in it though.
TXThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello all,

Bought my 74 Thing a few months back and have been slowly getting it roadworthy again.

It had last been on the road in 2006 so it's taken a few months of tinkering in between work and kids to get it semi roadworthy.

Lots of small "opportunities" to improve it remain but I was finally able to get it inspected using the resources on this site so at least I can enjoy it while I fix the remaining issues. Thanks to all for the excellent materials. I will contribute a few of my lessons learned and issues as I work thru them.

Cheers from Arlington Texas!
John
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I uploaded some pics to ImageShack (can't do or view at work for security reasons) from the original ad of the Thing I now own. Delivery pics and future pics haven't been uploaded yet, but this is progress.

This is the pic on my desktop at work. It currently has the hard top on it, but I can't wait until I put the soft top back on.

The engine and exhaust was slightly cockeyed, but is currently straight. I think I prefer the other kind of bumper over-riders, but that's not a high priority at this stage.

The engine area. This may look slightly different now. The big thing is it now runs very well with 140-150 compression throughout. It does drip oil which is extremely annoying to me. A rebuild will be the next major phase.

The interior shot including the horrible steering wheel. There are many VW steering wheels I like including those found in the accessory catalogs and ones that were on early Sciroccos. I would even prefer a stock one in good condition. In the meantime, I picked up a four-button steering wheel similar to the one I had on my original Jetta. The tray has already been taken out. So has the console -- mainly because it wasn't made for a Thing. The stereo will eventually go, too. Its replacement will go under the dash. I have the rubber mats to replace the duck boards as well.

Front driver's side view.

The front compartment.

There were 13 pics in the ad in all. These were the most representative. I will post progress pics in future threads, but I thought I would get these into the "intro" thread.
eurotrashrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought Thing #4. I have owned 3 73 things and a 74. This is a "barn find" Thing with 89k on it. All original except it was repainted. Some rust but a mechanical restoration is planned for the time being. This will be a nice addition to the 7 other project cars.

1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1973 Vw Thing
1974 Bricklin SV1
1976 VW Rabbit race car
1989 VW Cabriolet 40th anniversary
1995 Audi S6 Avant
1998 Ford Contour SVT
2003 Mazda Protege 5
2005 Ford Focus ST
craigsp51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: 1973 tHING Reply with quote

My name is Craig, Live in Florida. Always wanted a Thing. Can't figure out why. My recent purchase of a 73 came from California. The seller purchased the car at age 18 and drove it for 20 years. Overall in good shape with excellent maintenance. I repainted base coat clear coat added a new top and windshield. Lots of fun to drive. My only complaint is with the brakes. Sure would like to have discs on the front. Plan to research changing them. The steering is power meaning Arm Strong.
Kehoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha from Oahu. Purchased a 74 Thing about 5 months ago and like many have wanted one for years. I never had an opportunity to get into them affordably but finally the day came. It is defiantly a project but a very solid start. It is mostly complete and only missing a few minor items. I received both a hard and soft top and a complete set of side windows. I also own a 58 Single Cab. I have owned over 30 Volkswagens in my 29 years of life and don’t plan on driving anything else. Can’t wait to get this project moving!
leftcoastpj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Bought my thing with damage and made a dune buggy Reply with quote

I bought my thing, looked real nice, for $3500 in 1997. It had the right rear corner hit, and they had just reskinned it. It would take a donor car to cut the rear corner off, so I felt it was a good car to build my super dune buggy to run the beautiful Oregon Dunes with.

Put in a 2275cc motor with dual 45 dells, lift 3" so the sand paddle tires clear when the fenders are off, Beard racing seats, custom roll cage and bumpers, broke a couple of trannys in the sand until I built a bus 6 rib tranny with bus CVs and axles.

I had two little girls and my wife, if was a great sand car that kept my wife happy, no more big horsepower sand rails for me.

I can beat a lot of sand rails up the huge competition hill. I lowered the ring and pinion, and I'm climbing hills in second gear, it usually runs out of steam and I grab first and finish the hill.

Heavy for a sand car, but a great gentleman's dune buggy, a terrific support rig for my friends with lightweight buggies when we go camping in the dunes for a few days. It was the host's car in a TV pilot "Dune Buggy Digest.

IBTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: NEW GUY Reply with quote

I have had my 74 Thing for about ten years doing modifications the whole time...1915cc...Freeway Flyer...dual 40 IDF webers...jackman rims...Scat seats...just put disc front and rear...then had it painted camo and rhino lined inside from the bottom of the doors down...It is my daily driver, holds golf clubs well...a real conversation piece...pictures can be seen in the gallery...
www.thesamba.com[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ppfabregat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Saludos desde México!! greetings from Mexico. Reply with quote

hola, soy José (pepe) Fabregat, de la Ciudad de México, ahora viviendo en la tierra del VW y del Safari, Puebla. He tenido un par de Safaris, pero ahora ando buscando por el tercero.

hi, i´m Jose (pepe) Fabregat from México City, now living in the home of VW & the land of Safari, Puebla, i've had a couple of Safaris, but now i'm single, looking for the third.

Saludos a todos!!
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mucho gusto, Hermano.
noh2oengineering
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: 74 thing Reply with quote

bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha, just bought a 73 here on the island. Owned a Ghia in HS and was elated to find my Thing here and in good condition. Definitely look forward to my weekend projects to come. [O \X/ O]

Last edited by bald_dude43 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 74, I bought in Baja, last year. Right know it is a work in progress,
We are redoing from the ground up! And I have a lot of questions Rolling Eyes
looks like this will be a great site!
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liken127 wrote:
We have a 74, I bought in Baja, last year. Right know it is a work in progress,
We are redoing from the ground up! And I have a lot of questions Rolling Eyes
looks like this will be a great site!

There are many questions that have been answered by a lot of helpful people. This is the best place for information. Welcome
rider28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Help with VW Thing VIN Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I'm John and would like to see who could help me with a search that I have been looking into for some time. I have a 1974 (Acapulco) Think all original from the Second own who bought it in 1980. He told me the first owner bought it in Acapulco, Mexico and shipped it back and when the second owner had it drove it around but mainly sat in the barn (Barnfind) as you would call it. I have made somewhat of a list to compare to what I have to what "The Experts" say to look for in a actual (Acapulco) Thing so far We match eye to eye now my struggle now is taking the vin and breaking it down to find out the production month of this Thing is one of two last checks I need to determine this is authentic. Le me know if anyone would like to see pictures.

Thank you
JT
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JT,

Look for a sticker on the pillar between the driver side doors. Often it removed or painted over. If yours is still there you may be able to make out the month and year as it is perforated into the sticker. If it's not there I think there is no reliable way to find out the build month.

rider28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Captain, I will check today when I get home I was also told to look to see if I have gear reduction boxes as well. The Thing shop in AZ helped out a lot as well and I’m 98% sure this is all original now just deciding to keep it or sell it if the price is right on this Thing that people are saying is rare and sought after.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 30

Jump to: