Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does the type3 hold resale value?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Does the type3 hold resale value? Reply with quote

What's your opinion? If you build one will it hold its value or do you just sink money into it and are screwed when you want to sell it and start another project?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the type3 hold resale value? Reply with quote

SteveAR wrote:
What's your opinion? If you build one will it hold its value or do you just sink money into it and are screwed when you want to sell it and start another project?

If its not clean and stock, maybe needing to be freshened up then yes it will hold if not improve.

If you buy a bombed out car that needs a lot then no. This rule hold for most any classic car.

Now as far as T3s are concerned - if its not early and mostly original - be prepared to fix a car up that you will more than likely not get your $ back out of for sure if you were to sell.

Most Type 3s are not investment cars.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally on almost any VW restoration, you will put more money into it than it is worth if you pay someone to do the work. If you can do bodywork, welding, paint, upholstery, then that's another matter. The Type 3 is no different.

They make great daily drivers, more finished, softer, roomy than the Bugs, and still don't require crazy pricing to find a decent one.
SteveAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it's a rust free 65 rhd aussy type 3 and it needs a few body alignments , paint and maybe a new motor. These things seem to be the major things wrong with it. Bought the car for 3500 and I'm lookin to start fixing it up. What do ou guys recommend ?
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the type3 hold resale value? Reply with quote

SteveAR wrote:

generally yes its money hole if custom and non factory, unless its good original or restored to original specs then yes it holds its value.

I have seen some real good restorations sell for over 20k quite often and probably that much spent on them so yeah that I consider holding value. They are in fact going up.

10 years ago you could by them as cheap as $20-1000, top condition 3k ?

now they are so expensive I see a number of nice original ones going over 7k-9k

thats here is oz, so probably half that for US.

71 Aussie notchback, the money pit
92 VP vacationer, old faithful never die
95 VR executive, Restored beyond factory
92 VP S Pack, bought it new old
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveAR wrote:
What if it's a rust free 65 rhd aussy type 3 and it needs a few body alignments , paint and maybe a new motor. These things seem to be the major things wrong with it. Bought the car for 3500 and I'm lookin to start fixing it up. What do ou guys recommend ?

You must be a lucky one if it's an OZ built 65 rust free! They were rust buckets 5 years after coming off the assembly line in many cases. Good luck with the purchase but check everywhere for rust even though it is claimed to be rust free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHanna wrote:
SteveAR wrote:

You must be a lucky one if it's an OZ built 65 rust free! They were rust buckets 5 years after coming off the assembly line in many cases. Good luck with the purchase but check everywhere for rust even though it is claimed to be rust free.

they all get sold as "rust free" its called dishonesty.

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it's all original with the repair records and not a lot of miles and kept in a garage with no rust or body damage it's would increase in value .

Also if it's restored and well done even if the seats and trim are a close to factory high quality after market products you are ok.

If it's been altered then you might get your money out if it's what someone is looking for .

If it's a wreck even if you do the work yourself and needs almost everything done over you could easily spend far more than you will ever get back. Parts are hard to find and cost a small fortune and this gets worse all the time.

I got mine in 85 and at that time I could find everything most even at VW dealers parts dept . Now some parts are just not available . Mines not in bad shape other than a few dings from idiots . Other than that which can be fixed it needs new side molding thank to people letting their door's fly open . I had the seats done but the drivers seat needs a new bottom cover because of wear at a few seams . The carpet needs new it has wear now. Due to the empi muffler the rear apron is dented and it does not have the stock muffler and pipe or rear heat exchangers . Everything works and I have spare glass and many other spare parts except the ones I need. I look at it as a reliable car and my only car . I've had a lot of people comment on it and many like it had a few offers and I do worry about what if I need this or that and can't find it no one has actually talked money in the offers. Now days any car over ten years old becomes go the the junk yard for the parts because they are designed to become obsolete this has been for a long time now.

It's the only car I have owned this long 35 years so all things considered it's been not costly at all . I was lucky no rust a few small dents and one pael had to be replaced I did the work myself .I was the second owner and I paid $650 for it and not that much to fix it up .
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveAR wrote:
What if it's a rust free 65 rhd aussy type 3 and it needs a few body alignments , paint and maybe a new motor. These things seem to be the major things wrong with it. Bought the car for 3500 and I'm looking to start fixing it up. What do you guys recommend ?

What? Notch, Square or maybe a T34??

Its worth more because its in the 61-65 pocket and even more because of its RHD.

Is the dash uncracked? After that it starts going down hill. Not a total detriment but having a nice uncracked RHD dash will go far.

Still five lug?

The meat and potato stuff can be fixed or fudged. Its the details that will make it valuable - the stuff that says its a 65 and its a RHD aussy. The less aftermarket stuff added the better and in the end more valuable.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Does the type3 hold resale value? Reply with quote

SteveAR wrote:

Only if you buy it cheap enough, will it hold it's value. Shocked These cars aren't split window buses. Wink
Yes, RHD will add some value, but like Jason said, having all of the correct bits help it retain value.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny how RHD is worth more regardless whether its in a LHD or a RHD country.

here LDH is worth way less as no one want to drive LHD in oz. unless its a car that only ever came in LHD.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
its funny how RHD is worth more regardless whether its in a LHD or a RHD country.

here LDH is worth way less as no one want to drive LHD in oz. unless its a car that only ever came in LHD.

Its still crap if its bombed out. People will just say "pitty its bombed out crap, cause its a rhd." Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of many split window buses, split window beetles, certain ovals and some other rare early model VWs, virtually ALL the rest a person will likely loose money building/restoring.

You may get your money back out of it if you pass it to your kids and they sell it. I always tell people who come in for a restoration that with few exceptions, these cars are BAD investments. You'd be better off hopping into a time machine, going back to November 2008 and throwing all your money in the stock market. You'll get a similar result. Wink

If you do it, it should be for the joy of building and driving your car with the intent of keeping it a long time. The only people who seem to come out ahead on building a car to flip have shows on Discovery Channel or TLC (and I think most of the math is B.S.) Wink

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, your sure right about those shows. They don't ever capture the labor costs which we know are always much higher than the parts. I'm not saying you can't make money turning cars. My brother and I did it for years. But we put in the minimum we could to make a profit. And rarely did collector type cars. Lost a ton of money on a Jag. But it was sure nice when we got done.

When I did my restoration I knew I was going way deeper than I would ever get out. But I also was building a car that I knew I wasn't selling.

Maybe someday VW's will get more love!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see....unless you are in the business of restoring cars or flipping them....why the potential "resale" value of ANY ACVW has any bearing or consideration at all in the decision to purchase one.

These are not cars that are in the daily driver (whether you drive it daily or not), commuter, needs to be under warranty, family/business appliance vehicle category.

The only usefulness of potential resale value is when you buy a car for any of the above reasons.......
....and those reasons exist because your daily vehicle needs to be in presentable shape and appearance (business), needs to be utterly reliable for that morning commute, needs to be the car that is never down (for any reasons) because its still under warranty......and when the car has reached the end of its usefulness and is in reasonable shape....if you took care of it.....it has enough resale or trade-in value to allow you to bargain its value for a newer car in better shape or still under warranty to start the process over.

The question of whether and ACVW may be worth anything when you get rid of it...is somewhat fair....but that depends upon what you were thinking when you used the term "resale" value.

Unless you are refurbing with all NOS parts...or the vehicle is concors with original paint....you will rarely increase its value through ownership. Its a hobby vehicle.

Back in the late 90's to about 2000...I drove my 412 daily. It was my only car. It averaged 50-75,000 miles per year with no major failures....but required constant weekend maintenance to make sure it stayed that way....and when driving a car daily...the appearance and many parts wear out. there is little or no time for cosmetic restoration work.
So yes....and ACVW with the right maintenance can be driven as a daily driver.

However in the real world of life, with jobs and business....and this is not even having a family....it is not practical to do so. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
With the exception of many split window buses, split window beetles, certain ovals and some other rare early model VWs, virtually ALL the rest a person will likely loose money building/restoring.

You may get your money back out of it if you pass it to your kids and they sell it. I always tell people who come in for a restoration that with few exceptions, these cars are BAD investments. You'd be better off hopping into a time machine, going back to November 2008 and throwing all your money in the stock market. You'll get a similar result. Wink

I guess you mean early 2008 since the crash was in late 2008.
Late 2008/early 2009 was a GREAT time to buy. Wink

Anyway, the same applies to a car. Hold it long enough and it might appreciate enough to be worth more than what you have into it. Maybe.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the type3 hold resale value? Reply with quote

SteveAR wrote:
What's your opinion? If you build one will it hold its value

Yes! If you do a even a half-decent resto, it will most likely bring MORE than it's OG sticker price! Laughing
(un-adjusted for inflation)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I fail to see....unless you are in the business of restoring cars or flipping them....why the potential "resale" value of ANY ACVW has any bearing or consideration at all in the decision to purchase one.

Ray

I don't agree because I do it with almost all my VW purchases as a hobbyist.

I strongly consider now a days where and how I spend my hobby money. Both on all my cars and what trinkets I put on them and or just have in general.

I love VWs - Love to learn, work, eat, sleep, talk about - every aspect of the hobby. With that said I still make purchases with the heart and not the head at times.

But all my stuff is and will be considered an investment. Most purchases are bought at what I feel is a good deal or better. So that if I had to I could at a minimum get my money back always hedging that I will get more if I sold.

If you buy an old classic and dump lots of money into it - love it keep it and enjoy it till you die - then you will live a happy life. If you buy a classic do all the same but try and sell it for whats in it - you are a fool.

All the VWs I have now are worth or will be worth more than I have in them. The only one thats on the fence is the 74 Westfalia Im restoring. I think its going to be worth 10k more then I will have in it. The other two buses are worth more for sure than what I paid.

Type 3 related? Dont get me started on those. Every one of then sold for a tidy profit. All of them.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always lose 3-4-5X what i put into them, and that's doing all of my own work - not counting my time.

The ONLY people who get their money back out of any hobby car are the people who buy low and sell high.
And they do NOT touch the cars, save for a wash/wax or other very minor work

They take advantage of another fellow in a pinch,
Then wait to find the right sucker with money.

Case in point:
My Oval i pulled out from under a back porch in 1997.
Sunk about 10 years of weekends and $30K.
i could sell it now for $12 - $15K.

By bus i got in 1989(!) Shocked
Just the reciepts i had (a fraction), i counted, and it was around $48K.
Maybe i could sell it for what - $15? $17? $12K?

The Black Fastback Build is over $35K so far.
I'd have to pay someone to haul it away... Wink

Asshole flippers have their place;
They take advantage of a brother when he's down,
And snake a sucker who doesn't know better.

There are two types of people on this world:
Those who lend a hand, and make the world better,
and those who lend a foot.

What do you offer to your fellow man, hand or foot?
That will determine how 'well you do' buying/selling.

What’s That Noise?!?
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

The Black Fastback Build is over $35K so far.
I'd have to pay someone to haul it away... Wink

There are two types of people on this world:
Those who lend a hand, and make the world better,
and those who lend a foot.

What do you offer to your fellow man, hand or foot?
That will determine how 'well you do' buying/selling.

I'm here for ya brutha with a hand out-stretched. I'll haul that hulk away fo-FREEEEE!! Laughing

Sorry; it was just too easy!! Wink

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: