Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Super Beetle - Muffler Question....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/111298051 x2 for tailpipes
http://www.busdepot.com/111298009fbr x1 for the rest
the tailpipes you can get anywhere. They are gonna rust, how fast is up to what quality you buy. there are some NOS WEST German ones available in the classifieds. they are like $15 each. Cheap Brazilian ones are like $10 or under.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolfsburgWest and most aircoolved VW suppliers sell install kits
ie, (muffler install), (tailpipe clamps)

WolfsburgWest has a handy little chart thing here - http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bug_mufflers.cfm
I believe that should cover most of your questions.
The little connecting pipes (#18 above) that sit in the muffler for the tubes off the shroud to connect to are probably also rusty, might want new ones. #42 seals those to the tin.
Clamps for the paper tubes are optional-ish, I bought a set but the paper tubes seated snugly enough I haven't installed them.

I bought a pair of cheapie chrome tailpipes initially and they rusted quick.
The pair of stainless I replaced them with still look good.

btw, how's the rest of the car rust-wise if the exhaust system is that bad?
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Chrome Tips.... Reply with quote

All,
Motor is out of the car and on a stand....

I was able to get everything else I needed at the Michigan Buggy Builders Show minus the muffler and one of the heater boxes (Purchased from a fellow here on TheSamba) but I am still in need of the chrome tips.

Now I held off the chrome tip purchase because I did not know which set to purchase. (Saw a few different sets)

Honestly I know this is just the tips but I am curious on all the differences.

I see that there are a few different types here on the Samba as well;

Flute Pipe Chrome Muffler Tips
Brazilian Pee Shooters
Flared chrome tips
Chrome Baffled Tips
There are also a set I have seen that are box-type on the end
I have also seen a set that curves in a down fashion.

So here is what I am after;
I want the classic VW Sound and it still appears to be original.

Is it the Chrome Baffle Tips I am after?

Currently the exhaust has original Good Used Heater Boxes with a new Dansk Muffler/Baffle, German Clamp/Gasket kit, and a German Chrome Clamp Kit.

Thanks,
Chris
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Condition.... Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

btw, how's the rest of the car rust-wise if the exhaust system is that bad?

Typical Midwest Rust...Floors are still there passed the hammer test (no rust outs) but heater Channels are a mess. Running Board are still there on one side but not the other. The rest of the car appears to have spots of light surface rust almost like what I call heat rust (paint gone but just surface).. I did notice one fender might need replacement but its because its been dinged (minor by me - garage cart ran into it) and the rust is noticeable on that fender) There is rust as you saw in the engine compartment which appears to be localized and probably the worse I have come across in the car. Only one area of rust out in engine compartment. Battery area is actually fine. Gas tank/Strut tower areas look decent. The original cardboard is still in place\there in many spots but I yanked it to inspect. There is rust on the Chrome bumpers.

The plan is to lift the car off the pan and redo...Pans and Channels are already purchased. Probably going to have the vehicle dry iced blasted (seen it and its available local (~600 I have been told). I will know things more than body wise.

I have had the vehicle 10 years (life) in the garage paid more than I should ($1500 from a dealer) but its all there including an additional installed 8 track. It runs, drove it home unlike the other 2 cars mentioned below, but I think its time for an overhaul (stuck Valve?).

This is the third car I have been involved in restoration wise.

The first was a 1969 BAJA bug that was a total redo (pans etc) as well...Its mostly Fiber glass now but is never on the sand. Its always getting remarks and is about 10 years since last restoration. Is a daily driver but only in the summer time. Took a little over 2 years to do in spare time/$$. Owner will not show it but its a looker in my opinion even today. He is a professional welder - 23 years experience.

The second one was a 1969 Convertible that honestly should of been left were we found it, considering the amount of work involved to get it back. Found it in a local farmers field. There was nothing left of the floor pan/channels. When it was towed out of the field, which it had sat for at least 20 years, the tow truck driver was honestly nervous of tearing it apart as no wheels turned. The Drums were cut off as they were not even recognizable really on one side. Title was in the name of farmer but had to go to the state and have them look it up as it was not in the local computer system. This vehicle has went from stock after restoration....to (engine wise) the wild side. It has won a class or two. The owner is a automotive engineer but likes to play with the motor. Have not seen it in 3 years but know the owner still has it but really is not active in showing...Just had kids....

My car was the third, bought after all the above. I would say it falls in between the convertible and the Baja body work wise. I already have a 1973 Westphalia (Automatic). Went with the Super Beetle as it was there, got time on the payoff, and I am a bigger guy...Not huge (270lbs) but I like the Super look/feel when I am in it. I have done my fair share of automotive work late-dad was a ex GM mechanic for a while...there was always a automotive project ongoing as I grew up. My family had a few VWs over the years.

So that's the story....
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by SolomonMan on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you are after (stock sound) use stock application tips, available everywhere that sells ACVW parts (even Autozone).

"Flute Pipe Chrome Muffler Tips -NO
Brazilian Pee Shooters -YES
Flared chrome tips -NO
Chrome Baffled Tips -YES
There are also a set I have seen that are box-type on the end -NO
I have also seen a set that curves in a down fashion. -NO "

These others are all for looks, louder sound. As I said earlier, there are quality differences in the stock pipes. Brazilian/Mexican will rust really fast. W. German NOS will rust slower. Stainless will rust slowest. They will mostly sound the same provided there are actually baffles inside the tips.

http://www.busdepot.com/113251163c
this is a cheap one, will rust fast.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT....you have already worked on 3 bugs and a westy? And your asking where to buy a muffler and tail pipes?
Rolling Eyes
I'll stop responding now...

asiab3 wrote:

SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
WAIT....you have already worked on 3 bugs and a westy? And your asking where to buy a muffler and tail pipes?
Rolling Eyes
I'll stop responding now...

No, No, No...
Keep in mind I was just labor....LOL!

Also at the last show in Lansing it was mostly Sand Rails not to much classic stuff but made the heater boxes a better chance.

My Westy so far has just been typical R&R and its now just starting to show its age....I am looking at this as a Long Term Project...Get them both cleaned up...

The wife is already shaking her head...

Thanks,
Chris
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Tips... Reply with quote

All,
Got a Set from Chirco with Chrome Tips and Baffles.

So the Exhaust system is bought now what to do with the cylinder issue....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623166

Thanks,
Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: