Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Bug (non-Super) won't start #$%&!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumberthanacompleatidiot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
The messed up o ring is not causing your no start problem

Thanks, I didn't think so, especially since I had the problem before I ever did anything with the distributor.

In fact I wonder if it really is "messed up" and was wondering how that person knew I "butchered" it without actually seeing it. In fact the new O-ring was a LOT harder to put in (I mean a lot tighter even after I dremeled it) then the old one (which was way looser) was to take out.
14platoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know how yo fix cars until I tried. I don't know much about mechanics electrics etc etc, what I do know is that by trying to fix stuff yourself and reading manuals and forums, you learn a hell of a lot.
I have managed to create wiring looms, fix electrics, get a non starting engine running, tune my own engine, fix carbs, diagnose modern car faults and fix,etc etc etc.
well done on attempting your own repairs, it's an excellent way to learn.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
dumber, don't take johnnypan's crap personally, let me explain his game on here--
see, our pal johnnypan has racked up exhorbant debt over the decades by being a below average mechanic, bilking people throwing substandard parts at a vw and generally not having a clue, you should read some of his wild theories regarding thermostats and timing with vacuum hoses connected. So this means tons of people bringing their cars back to him demanding to fix for free or else, and losing money in labor/ parts charges, also he has several lawsuits he hasn't settled yet.
Also, if you have been around you'd notice he hadn't posted for awhile, this is because he has been in poor health but he could not get health insurance for his business due to number of complaints, california small business owner's association would not vouch for him, so he has medical bills racking up too.
So his game is to come on here and bash people into feeling they can't fix their own cars to try to funnel business his way, to settle these debts-if you don't post where you live he'll take a chance on you hoping you're close by in Cali somewhere
To prove this theory a while back when I started having engine trouble, he came on my thread and started bashing, and I figured out his game, so I told him since he cared so much about my engine I'd be happy to ship it to him so he could fix it right, and for free since it's not about the money. And he told me where to shove that and didn't have anything else to do with my thread after that, so there you go.
So don't feel too bad it's not personal it's just he's in a world of financial hurt, but don't worry the ASE will get him, or maybe the ellipsis police.

I thought you promised that you weren't going to post when you were drunk. Crying or Very sad
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
dumber, don't take johnnypan's crap personally, let me explain his game on here--
see, our pal johnnypan has racked up exhorbant debt over the decades by being a below average mechanic, bilking people throwing substandard parts at a vw and generally not having a clue, you should read some of his wild theories regarding thermostats and timing with vacuum hoses connected. So this means tons of people bringing their cars back to him demanding to fix for free or else, and losing money in labor/ parts charges, also he has several lawsuits he hasn't settled yet.
Also, if you have been around you'd notice he hadn't posted for awhile, this is because he has been in poor health but he could not get health insurance for his business due to number of complaints, california small business owner's association would not vouch for him, so he has medical bills racking up too.
So his game is to come on here and bash people into feeling they can't fix their own cars to try to funnel business his way, to settle these debts-if you don't post where you live he'll take a chance on you hoping you're close by in Cali somewhere
To prove this theory a while back when I started having engine trouble, he came on my thread and started bashing, and I figured out his game, so I told him since he cared so much about my engine I'd be happy to ship it to him so he could fix it right, and for free since it's not about the money. And he told me where to shove that and didn't have anything else to do with my thread after that, so there you go.
So don't feel too bad it's not personal it's just he's in a world of financial hurt, but don't worry the ASE will get him, or maybe the ellipsis police.

Where do you came up with this stuff?? It seems like ever since your last engine issue caused you to lose the use of your car all you do is post lots of anger in other people's threads......

You should redirect that energy into getting your car on the road again, or at least washing that sand out of your vagina.
volkswagen_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Where do you came up with this stuff?? It seems like ever since your last engine issue caused you to lose the use of your car all you do is post lots of anger in other people's threads......

You should redirect that energy into getting your car on the road again, or at least washing that sand out of your vagina.

Well said, bashr52.

"It’s better to give than to receive. Especially advice." -Mark Twain
dumberthanacompleatidiot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14platoon wrote:
I didn't know how yo fix cars until I tried. I don't know much about mechanics electrics etc etc, what I do know is that by trying to fix stuff yourself and reading manuals and forums, you learn a hell of a lot.
I have managed to create wiring looms, fix electrics, get a non starting engine running, tune my own engine, fix carbs, diagnose modern car faults and fix,etc etc etc.
well done on attempting your own repairs, it's an excellent way to learn.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I know by trying, no matter how lame an attempt it might be, I'm doing the right thing. Even if not successful I know I know a heck of a lot more about at least some stuff then I did before.

And the good news? I'm not sure, but I think I'm starting to see some progress here, with a focus on adjusting the choke. We'll see!
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumber,

a bit of advice for you, follow the manual and not 95% of what you're going to hear on the internet. Opinions are like butt cracks, everybody has one. Find someone in your area (usually a local club can help with this) and ask them for guidance, most of the time they will offer a time when they can take a look and help you fix your car's problem.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should start your diagnostics with a known good battery. Make sure the plugs are on the distrib in the right firing order.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My my my children,angels fly cause they take themselves lightly..

dumber,you chose to dremel cut the parts that should fit,in essence you butchered them..if you'll notice I mentioned to see if the distributor shaft is turning when you turn the engine over by hand..did you do that? this would be the only reason the o ring could cause your car not to run,by keeping the distributor from engaging the distributor drive shaft..a common occurrence when the distributor hold down clamp is bent or butchered as well..
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Creating lies to discredit people isnt healthy,seek professional help.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagen_bug wrote:
[quote="Bashr52]

Well said, bashr52.[/quote]

Boy if these two posts aren't the pot calling the kettle black.. One does nothing but back up johnnypans insults, the other continually sticks his nose in affairs that are of no concern to him ( thus the original pm he sent me just to instigate.)
Volkswagen bug consider yourself added to the list of johnnypans cronies, not a good list to be on

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagen_bug wrote:

Well said, bashr52.

Wow. Just wow.
So let me get this straight- you're going to side with the guy and his cronies who continually come on here and insult and berate people, over someone who will stand up and show them that their crap won't be tolerated.
Thanks volkswagen bug you just showed your true colors. Johnnypans toadie- how quaint.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagen_bug wrote:

Well said, bashr52.

Wow. Just wow.
So let me get this straight- you're going to side with the guy and his cronies who continually come on here and insult and berate people, over someone who will stand up and show them that their crap won't be tolerated.
Thanks volkswagen bug you just showed your true colors. Johnnypans toadie- how quaint.

1600 SP engine
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

I just like quoting your stuff.
A lawyer could have a field day with your libelous* postings.

*look up the meaning.
dumberthanacompleatidiot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

dumber,you chose to dremel cut the parts that should fit,in essence you butchered them..if you'll notice I mentioned to see if the ]distributor shaft is turning when you turn the engine over by hand..did you do that? this would be the only reason the o ring could cause your car not to run,by keeping the distributor from engaging the distributor drive shaft..a common occurrence when the distributor hold down clamp is bent or butchered as well..

Yes, the rotor (that you mentioned earlier) turns when you turn the engine by hand, and then if you take off the rotor and turn the engine by hand you'll see the distributor shaft turn just like the rotor was turning.

Hopefully that means in spite of the "double butcher" (o-ring and holddown) the thing is still ok, especially if it doesn't leak oil. Or is there anything else you can think of that could go wrong because I did that? It is nice to know that the butchered o-ring would be the only reason the car woudn't run for the reason you mentioned. Thanks for helping me learn a little more, that's what I'm here for.

Thanks once again for your help and concern, and I hope you won't interpret my dumbness as an attempt to annoy people. I don't like being a dummy but hey, people have to try to live with the hand their dealt, right? Trust me, it's real but at least I'm here trying to do something about it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
This thread helps me remember that I'm on the samba.

Rolling Eyes

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still don't know if you are getting spark or not. Get a spark test from your local parts store, like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/1938...;ppt=C0371

Have a buddy crank the motor, and test to see if you are getting spark from the coil to the distributor. If not, you have a bad coil or your coil isn't getting power.

If it is, check to see if you are getting spark from the distributor to your plugs, if not then you have an issue with your distributor.

You should never have to force your distributor into its housing, ever. First you need to make sure you line up the notches on the bottom of the distributor with the notches on the drive gear. If not, the distributor may "turn" but not enough to start the vehicle.

We need to know if you are getting spark. And your battery shouldn't die out that quickly either. Put in a new battery, and go from there. What you may think is a "good" battery because of the "voltage" may not be able to withstand the load on it from cranking the motor.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumberthanacompleatidiot wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

dumber,you chose to dremel cut the parts that should fit,in essence you butchered them..if you'll notice I mentioned to see if the ]distributor shaft is turning when you turn the engine over by hand..did you do that? this would be the only reason the o ring could cause your car not to run,by keeping the distributor from engaging the distributor drive shaft..a common occurrence when the distributor hold down clamp is bent or butchered as well..

Yes, the rotor (that you mentioned earlier) turns when you turn the engine by hand, and then if you take off the rotor and turn the engine by hand you'll see the distributor shaft turn just like the rotor was turning.

Hopefully that means in spite of the "double butcher" (o-ring and holddown) the thing is still ok, especially if it doesn't leak oil. Or is there anything else you can think of that could go wrong because I did that? It is nice to know that the butchered o-ring would be the only reason the car woudn't run for the reason you mentioned. Thanks for helping me learn a little more, that's what I'm here for.

Thanks once again for your help and concern, and I hope you won't interpret my dumbness as an attempt to annoy people. I don't like being a dummy but hey, people have to try to live with the hand their dealt, right? Trust me, it's real but at least I'm here trying to do something about it.

Hey we all do hack work sometimes,this being a Volkswagen site populated by Volkswagen aficionados hack work on your car is unacceptable ..yes if the rotor is turning when you turn over the engine then you've cleared the oring/hold down issue from your car not starting..now its time for the next step..since you are running a pertronix ignition the best way to check for spark is to pull a wire off a sparkplug,stick a screwdriver in where it slides on the plug and hold it close (!/4" or so) to a good ground like the engine case,have an assistant donut crank the engine over while you hold the insulated handle of the screwdriver and observe the arc it makes to the case...you'll know you've failed the glazed donut test if you zap yourself..
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see sb001 has been back in the jug, again! Rolling Eyes
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Shit! I've posted seemingly inane and stupid questions on this forum before and have been repeatedly insulted, berated, and even threatened. What the fuck is wrong with some of you assholes? This forum is supposed to be informative, not to troll people asking for help.

Dumber, it sounds as though you have a very rudimentary grasp of VW mechanics. This problem might be a bit more than you're capable of handling. Tow the car to a local reputable VW shop and tell them everything that you've done and experienced.
I'm sure this is a very simple fix. Internal combustion engines need 4 things: 1)timing, 2)gas/air, 3)compression, and 4)ignition. You'll learn more about your car as you play with it. In the meantime just take your lumps and pay someone to fix it and get it running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: