Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JayCee short IDA manidfolds
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: JayCee short IDA manidfolds Reply with quote

Anyone using these yet? Do they fit a regular doghouse shroud? I have a Thing shroud I want to use them with. I emailed Jack and he doesnt know if they would fit. I have a set of Scat and DDS shorts, they both hit the shroud. I also like that they are not backwards like the DDS and Scat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks that he wouldn't know. You'd think one would check for that kind of thing when designing a manifold. I saw these at Irwindale at the Pierside booth. Call them tomorrow to see if they know. I'm interested to know too.

Funny. I've seen pics of the Deanos with a stock shroud before and everything cleared.

If they end up not clearing, Berg's short reversible manifolds will clear for sure.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is a lot of material on the mounting base, if they hit, maybe they could be machined to "lean" away some.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Scats and the carb rides on the shroud seam. I also noticed that I had to put the carb on the same time as the shroud to fit it in the little pocket of the shroud. That would be a real pain. I could put time serts in the manifolds to cure that instead of the studs. I am going to take my head tin off and try the DDS one. It is too big to fit in my opening. I compared the two and they were almost identical. Shape is different but same angles.

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Sucks that he wouldn't know. You'd think one would check for that kind of thing when designing a manifold.

Jack really isn't a doghouse shroud kinda guy.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor in the picture runs the Scats and a Scat 36er shroud. Checking what fits with the Thing shroud. I don't want to grind or bend the shroud. You would think that someone would make a short IDA manifold that fits a doghouse. There are already 5 companies that make them that don't, maybe 6 now. Not bashing just saying.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Gene Berg's and they said their shorts will hit and you have to use a 36hp one but you know they won't recommend those. So they basically said they make a manifold that you can't use for street. I also called Pierside. They said they haven't tried it on a stock shroud and thinks they won't fit.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly back in the day it cleared on big motors but guys with smaller motors ran a head to manifold spacer, was either an empi part or a shop in CA was cutting them as needed don't remember but it still kept it lot shorter than tall manifolds. I guess worst case you could run those crappy center mount shrouds....if they still make them.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I called Gene Berg's and they said their shorts will hit and you have to use a 36hp one but you know they won't recommend those. So they basically said they make a manifold that you can't use for street. I also called Pierside. They said they haven't tried it on a stock shroud and thinks they won't fit.

OEM 36 hp shroud with a dry cooler in it is my favorite setup. The dog house fan can be made to fit with some shroud mods. I am running the GB IDA shorts because they clear the car body the best and make more room for cleaners. I will cool the oil with an external.

Dan
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right about the big motor little motor thinking. I have a bit of compression on the motor. It is slightly smaller than stock. It's only a few thousandths smaller. I was thinking maybe get the GB-590's and machining the thick a** tops down. Make kind of a medium size manifold.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take your intakes and angle mill them so they fit.easyly done some that had to move inward about 3/4" but remember both ends need milling to keep the carbs uprightand not tilted(unless you want them tilted for some reason) or you can have some angle spacers made, many ways to skin a cat and not get scratched.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to do the least amount of changes. I know nothing fits like it's supposed to, for the amount of some of the parts they should. I could probably get away with milling just the bottoms, it doesn't need much.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's easy to figure, just use some masking tape and add some to the other side that needs to be lowered. about 1/8" wide and add more till you have about .060 clearance where you need it then mesure that and that is the amount that it needs angle milled. if it's .060 thick then angle mill it 0.0-.060 , you can then check before milling to see if the carb flange needs milling any to "upright " the carb. sometimes other tings get in the way and you end up milling half as much on the carb flange. you can use the tape thickness method on both ends before milling if it's close everywhere to get it the best it can get. remember when you pull the top of the intake outward the carb top comes out also almost 2x as much as top of intake does, and milling the top leaves the flange&carb bottom in the same place but the top moves back in to be aligined if you desire it so.or a little less or more depending on what you want&do. it's simple but some thinking is required.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the empty space off the shroud. It does nothing anyway.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUT A THING SHROUD??!! MURDER!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is so special about a thing shroud?it's no different then the intake & exhaust that has already been thrown away........but milling the intakes would be my route
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special just costs more. It is almost identical to a fresh air one. It still has the pockets everyone says aren't there. Visually identical inside. Maybe the vanes are flatter, look the same to me.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the dogystyle 36 on all my stuff so I havent had any of those issues. but the one I did have to move about 3/4" was a 2386 in a 912 porch and the hinges were eating up the filters badly.so... I moved them inward. yup inward.it had a 911 type shroud.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know off the top of their head the height of cb tall ida manifolds?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the orientation of the carb mounting position on the JayCee short manifolds, then compare it to the Scat/DDS short manifolds. Notice one is opposite of the other. Gene Berg manifolds you can mount the IDA's in either direction.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: