Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still working on 67 wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbuchholz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Still working on 67 wiring Reply with quote

I have been trying to get the front wiring on my 67 sorted. Before I started

-wipers had stopped working (po had began a project to make the wipers have more speeds)
-bright lights worked but low beams did not
-po had installed something that replaced the usual emergency flasher unit? It had numerous wires with miles of electrical tape holding it all together.

I took it off and am using the flasher unit from my previous 67. (it was working)
I hooked up the wires according to the book and after watching the Bug Me video, and making colored diagrams for my brain.

Good news. My wipers work now.

Bad news my brights and my dims are no longer working.
When we put tester up to where they are plugged into the fuse thing the turn signals show hot, the red wires show hot, but all 4 light wires show nothing.

In the headlight relay unit the the white and yellow wires also show nothing but the white and black wire is working on that unit.

Any ideas of how to proceed?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 12 volts at the fuse check the other end of the wire at the bulb ; if you have voltage there check the far side of the bulb and then you will find out that the GROUNDS are bad.......

Laminate the wiring diagram available in the tech section
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the B/W wire to the headlamp relay is good but neither the yellow or white outputs are hot then the relay is bad.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, is the car a US spec or Deluxe '67? Very likely it is, but this key info is needed to answer your questions accurately.

Second, when you explain your problems, at the very minimum you are talking about three separate circuits...
1-W/S wiper circuit, with a low and high sub-circuits for Deluxe '67.
2-Headlight circuit, which is actually two separate sub-circuits, High and low beams.
3-Turn signal circuit, right and left sub-circuits also incorporating a four way hazard light sub-sub-circuit for US '67's.

Without knowing and to generalize some...

1-Got the wipers working? US '67 should have two speeds, only work when the key is on and park on the right.

2-Headlight switch has power all the time and will work with the key on or off. Look for a big red wire with battery power going to the headlight switch. When you turn on the switch, power should then go to the hi/low relay, which sends it where you ask it to when triggered by the hi beam switch on the T/S stalk, then on to the lights by way of individual fuses. See appropriate diagram.

3-US '67 Turn signals/hazard lights can get tricky to get working if you don't have a good working 9-pin turn signal relay/control unit...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953227BWW
Typically most of the wiring mess in a '67 is created when a Prior Repair eliminates the hazard light system by hacking in a simple two or three prong T/S relay just so the signals work.
You can either get a 9-pin relay, follow the factory diagrams wire per wire, or wire in a simple two or three prong relay that eliminates the four-way hazards.
Which way do you want to go?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
mrbuchholz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I put a different headlight relay on (from my 67 sitting out to pasture)
BAM ....both dims and brights work now. Very Happy
I decided to check my number #1 fuse again after reading through info and posts.
It was blown. I had just put a new one in before starting to rewire. So I must have done something to ruin it.
I replaced it and ...
Now my blinkers and brake lights work. It is 16 amp right? All the books show a shaded fuse..but the Haynes looks like it say 8 amp???

So excited.
Now onto getting the horn right.
DrKeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuses on the ends are Red 16 amp, you are correct.
VICS94HB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so im confused now. ive read some places that's all of them are 8s. so which ones is it? mine is a 67 also.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICS94HB wrote:
so im confused now. ive read some places that's all of them are 8s. so which ones is it? mine is a 67 also.

Yes, info is vague and can vary according to sources. Owner's manual says nothing about any 16's, but does say "always carry a few 8 amp spares"...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bug67models/page36.jpg

Always here if you need any more info...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bug67models.php

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: