Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

van will start every time cold, but as soon as i turn it off it won't restart. any tips for me?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New problem or an old problem?

Have you checked that your cold start valve is wired up correctly? If the thermo-time switch is "on" all the time the engine will not start readily when hot. Try removing the plug for the CSV and see if it will hot start for you.

If the TSII sensor is bad the engine may not hot start well. Have you checked the resistance of the TSII sensor through the wiring harness from the plug at the ECU as laid out in the Bentley?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

gheko76 wrote:
van will start every time cold, but as soon as i turn it off it won't restart. any tips for me?

yes - here is a tip. Be really specific with the issue. Instead of saying it only hurts when I move, tell the doctor more about where it hurts etc. Telling us that it doesn't start when hot can mean many things. Starter doesn't turn? Engine turns slow? Engine turns but doesn't fire? Engine turns and fires but doesn't stay running?
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, about the lack of detail. Yes the starter turns but it won't fire.
Very Happy
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings! I'll chk that out and let you know if that's it... Thanks!
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: me 2 Reply with quote

I have a similar issue and am interested in your ultimate solution.

I try to record on my camera the engine everytime its started. I sit the camera on a trash can and open the engine lid. I always let it warm up for several minutes before driving off (5 to 10 minutes). I then drive 10 minutes at 25mph to the recycling center and shut it off, unload recyclables for 5 minutes and then it will just crank and crank (based on the battery level at the time).

Is that similar to your situation?

I crank for a maximum of 10 seconds, turn off the key, count to 10 mississippi and crank again. Repeat 3 times before waiting longer and try again. Sometimes it starts and sometimes I press the gas pedal lightly and vroom. I know you're not supposed to "gas it" on fuel injection BUT at this specific time the battery was low (as it had been sitting) and I had just picked up Sushi to take home! It was gonna start, or get towed, so I tried it and have had to do this (sporadically) on a few similar occasions since.

I don't recall this happening Before I reconnected the deceleration valve. Reviewing my records it appears my deceleration valve is bad. Explains why the vacuum hose was disconnected and plugged when I took ownership.

Haven't had a chance to disconnect it and replug the vacuum line, but maybe that is a culprit? Vacuum leaks causing too much air entry after the AFM. Someone will know.

I must also say my bus appears to be running rich and may be flooding itself? I hope 2 find the culprit later this summer during engine/transmission refresh.

Good luck on finding the solution and thanks in advance for sharing your diagnosis.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like both of you need to measure fuel pressure as well as the TS2 OHM readings, far too many possible issues could cause these symptoms, more "ruling out" required. Wink

A ghetto test for "no hot start" is a small squeeze bottle of fuel in the cab with you. When it acts up run around back and pull the Tee out of the S boot and squirt a little fuel in the hole, then put the Tee back and see if it starts or even coughs, if there's no improvement it's likely flooding itself, if it coughs it's not getting enough fuel, now figure out why.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... i replaced ts2 sensor. no improvement. i tested fuel pressure, and all is good. tested the cold start valve by removing it. im still quite sure its flooding itself. any other tips? could it be leaky vacuum lines? it starts fine when cold and idles fine... im definitely exhausting my diagnostic ability...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gheko76 wrote:
so... i replaced ts2 sensor. no improvement. i tested fuel pressure, and all is good. tested the cold start valve by removing it. im still quite sure its flooding itself. any other tips? could it be leaky vacuum lines? it starts fine when cold and idles fine... im definitely exhausting my diagnostic ability...

Did you check the resistance of the TSII through the wiring from the plug for the ECU. If the problem is in the wiring then replacing the TSII by itself won't fix the problem. With the engine hot and running what happens if you unplug the wire from the TSII sensor?

Have you checked your points and timing. If the point gap is way to small to start with then the points may not open once the engine gets hot. Your timing needs to be set at 28-30° BTDC @3500+rpm, hoses off and plugged regardless of what the book says.
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try unplug ts2 sensor next when hot.

Timing was good.. im told..i had someone else check this who knows more.

Thx Wildthings!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gheko76 wrote:
Ill try unplug ts2 sensor next when hot.

Timing was good.. im told..i had someone else check this who knows more.

Thx Wildthings!

If they didn't set it at "all in" mechanical advance then it may be way off. People get very confused about what the correct timing specs are for these engines and how to correctly set the timing even before you add in old worn and often incorrect parts. This is why we harp over and over to set the timing at 28-30° BTDC @ 3500+ rpm hoses off and plugged.
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

still struggling with this... I had bought a new battery and surprisingly it began to start again when it was hot. But... it only works if it fires back up within the first few seconds... if it misfires its back to turning over and over and over with no firing. It runs like an absolute top when it's running no matter how long and what ever the weather conditions. I also installed a temperature gauge and found that it runs about 200 degrees fahrenheit and will only restart once the temperature has dropped to below 100 degrees fahrenheit. I've pulled the spark plugs and it's not flooded when this happens. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

Still waiting for the results of your fuel pressure tests, cold-running-hot-shut off when hot and watched for 1/2 hour?

Also tell us more about your ignition system, points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and how old your ignition switch is.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
gheko76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

the fuel pressure I brought to a shop because I don't have the tool or know-how. They reported that everything was good. I could just swap out the fuel pump to test this out.. unless it's the pressure regulator I suppose (?).

I couldn't tell you about the ignition switch, but ignition system uses points - no pertronix or anything like that. I've replaced the wires and plugs (bosch) and I've tested them and they are all sparking. Of course, you'll probably bring up the timing again, and I wouldn't even know how to tell what it's at.

I still have to try your suggestion about squirting gas directly into the s-boot...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

Next time it does it, run back there and unplug the AFM.

Floor it while cranking and cranking - see if it doesn't give a pop and burble then die.
Then plug it back in, and see if it doesn't fire off.

My experience is that they can misjudge how hot they are, and go into cold-start mode, thereby flooding the engine.

Let us know how this does for you....

What’s That Noise?!?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

You need to determine if you do or do not have spark at the plugs when it will not start.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 typ4 FI engine - won't hot start? Reply with quote

I'm thinking vacuum leak. When it's cold the fifth injector fires and hides the leak. When it's hot the mixture is too lean to fire because of the fifth injector not firing.

I bought a smoke machine on eBay that actually works very well at finding leaks. It was $100 but for me well worth the money.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: