Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

towing covered or in rain
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: towing covered or in rain Reply with quote

Hi all,

We try not to get caught in the rain and carry a cover in the event it happens. what about towing and in the rain?

Anyone do that? Again I'd not like it but if i'm towing three hours in Florida where showers are common from time to time my choices are few. I'd have to find a gas station to hide or stop and cover for what its worth.

The seats seem resistant to this issue and the rear seat is made with PT and covered. I'm concerned about electronics(gauges, Fuel injection computer and radio) a bit and may be able to cover those.

The pan and engine are protected...

thoughts?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never put a cover on a car when towing down the road. The wind flapping the cover will damage the paint in 20-30 miles no matter how secure you attach the cover. Get an enclosed trailer or live with a wet car.

What's wrong with driving your buggy to the show?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Never put a cover on a car when towing down the road. The wind flapping the cover will damage the paint in 20-30 miles no matter how secure you attach the cover. Get an enclosed trailer or live with a wet car.

What's wrong with driving your buggy to the show?

Ditto....... Just leave it "open" and it will dry out... If you expect it to happen a lot, you might consider carpets that do not hold water and maybe drain holes in lowest part of pan... Enclosed trailer is ultimate "wet" proof (only problem is people can't see the toys)....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven my buggy in the rain more than I would like to admit. It always did fine. Having a roof helps a lot, but water still manages to find its way into just about everything. I would suggest wrapping any electronics you're worried about in plastic and disconnecting the battery. Don't reconnect the battery until you're sure everything's dried out.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed mine in the rain ... driven it in the rain too. I have purposely kept my buggy simple so I don't have to worry about stuff like that.

I have no radio, no carpets, drain holes in floor, and poly seats with removable covers. When I have to tow it in the rain I just pull out the seat covers. I made a bimini type top for it hoping that would help keep the inside dry, and I still end up with seats full of water and a soaked dash when it rains. I keep a rain jacket and a towel in the car at all times in case I get caught out in the rain.

About the only way to keep the inside dry would be to have a fully enclosed/sealed top.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw racer dave its a 4 hour drive and i'd rather tow it plus i'm leaving it in place in a hangar to go to three shows in the area over the next month and need something to drive home.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industrial stretch wrap. You can buy it at U-haul and other warehouse/commercial suppliers. I'm not sure what a big roll costs but it can't be to bad.

I've seen that done to SEVERAL cars on transporters heading up and down I-95. Street rods and other such hobby cars. It goes on tight, is non-abrasive and can be removed with a knife or other sharp tool when you arrive. Pretty clever I thought.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hour drive? I would just drive the buggy back and forth. You have to drive something for each trip anyway, might as well enjoy the buggy.

The closest show to me is 3 hours, and most are 4 to 6 away. Cheapest for me to just drive it to and from.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I came home from Bonneville with my buggy it rained for the last 600 miles of the trip. Car was fine. I do bag my carbs for trailering though. The electrical system was fine including my gauges.

brad
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our custom made canvas cover for the Manx was tight fitting and work well rain or shine and never damage the Manx in the thousands of miles and years we used it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo Cash John,

Great thought there!

I guess you would wrap it around the car like a bandage. Over the top over the cage and below under the pan and back up. It only has to stay on for a few hours so it would be off before it could retain any water or moisture.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/packaging/stretc...-hand-film

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When towing our Manx in what could become rainy weather ( in So. Calif this is hardly necessary Cool ) I install a set of waterproof seat covers (available @ PRP) & then carry on !!

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Manx Reply with quote

I have used that wrap on a trip to the Outer Banks , from buffalo , did not work , it frayed and ended up like giant streamers on a kite , just tow if it ,gets wet bring it to a car wash and vacuum the water out ,

2015 Manx Over the Falls – Buffalo New York

Buffalo, New York
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the plastic bags my seats came in to cover them. Secured with some bungees and tape in a few spots to eliminate flapping, it worked fine. Since the seats are the only thing that really need to be kept dry, that works fine for me when I flat tow. And we get a fair amount of rain in the PNW, so this method has been dunk tested!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: