Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best $200 dollars I've spent on my bus...! New Muffler
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Best $200 dollars I've spent on my bus...! New Muffler Reply with quote

As you can see in my thread link below, I bought this bus last summer. I've been going thru it mechanically since.

Well, I finally got around to changing the header/single muffler system and installing a new stock muffler on it. I like and maintain my VW's in their stock condition though I do appreciate other folks well done mods too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought the best stock Muffler Bus kit that Bus Depot sold and installed it yesterday. I have to say, I am SHOCKED how much quieter this bus is now compared to the previous header/muffler system. I did some errands this am that included a couple of 10 mile freeway runs. It's AT LEAST 30% quieter inside the cab with the stock muffler. The bus is actually "relatively" quiet inside! I can have a conversation w/the GF now. I can't believe how pleased and happy I am after installing it.

I thought I'd share in case others are running headers/single mufflers and like me, think they are a bit loud.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also notices improvements in cold weather drivability, since you now have a muffler with actual functioning manifold pre-heat plumbing. Smile

Made a big difference on my daughter's bus, although she can now sneak home late at night with a bit more ease, given the new quiet. Smile Smile

Last edited by Vince Waldon on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will like the cold weather driving with it, and the quiet. Your engine will last longer too. However you will feel a reduction in power. Been there done that. It does make the bus more music friendly too. And lessen your chance of needing hearing aids when older. Ask me how I know.
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the old "loud" exhaust is in good condition i'm sure you could regain some of that 200 bucks spent by selling it..

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny eveyones mentioning the cold weather drivability. I had drilled out the pre-heat holes in the header. I knew this was only a feeble effort as the exhaust didn't flow well through the header per this thread below.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40

It does warm up better though I need to tweak my choke a bit as well.

SGKENT- I was expecting a reduction in power but I actually haven't felt it. It feels a bit more torquey probably due to the increased back pressure?

I'm just thrilled with the difference and it sounds like a bus now as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a slight drop in upper end HP and a slight bump in low end torque and a huge difference in ground clearance. All anecdotal except for the clearance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 70 Single Cab with a stock muffler system. Now I put a stock muffler on my last Single Cab, a 62, and the heat was great. I figured the fact that it was a small space was the reason. However, in this "new" SC I feel heat coming out of the outlets way quicker than any of my other early Bays that had extractor type exhausts(so-called quiet packs with headers). In a longer trip I had to had to shut the heat almost completely off in order to keep from getting too hot. I guess the only way to truly substantiate any "findings" would be to run the same stock exhaust in an EB Bus, which I currently do not have.

Maybe someone else has experience with this, or maybe being from Canada heat is more of a concern for me. We might not live in igloos, but I prefer my Bus not to be one , lol! Very Happy

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I was expecting a reduction in power but I actually haven't felt it. It feels a bit more torquey probably due to the increased back pressure?

When I temporarily ran a free-flowing Vintage Speed, there was one nasty grade on the 10 near Indio that I could pull in 4th. I also pulled the 17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff entirely in 4th with it. With a stock muffler it was only ever 3rd gear in those two spots. Other than that I noticed no difference with the "butt dyno."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I was expecting a reduction in power but I actually haven't felt it. It feels a bit more torquey probably due to the increased back pressure?

I also pulled the 17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff entirely in 4th with it.

That grade on 17 to Flagstaff is no joke, especially near Black Canyon. I haven't done that one yet in this bus but I'd imagine I'd be buried in the right lane hoping to not get rear ended.. lol

Have you done the Bush Hwy to Payson in your bus Robbie? I did it in my bone stock 1600 67 bug. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to maintain at least 45mph on the steepest grades with that power plant.

Heathintexas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the fence about ordering this unit from BusDepot. I have a 70 bus with what looks like the same as your old loud muffler. I thought having to raise my voice at cruising speeds was expected in this thing.

Anyone know how long the paint holds up on these mufflers? Also wcfvw69, do you know which country/brand manufactured yours?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathintexas wrote:

Anyone know how long the paint holds up on these mufflers? Also wcfvw69, do you know which country/brand manufactured yours?

Two years ago, Bus Depot was selling the Ernst brand. The paint that comes on them is not good for anything over 200*. It is more like a coating to protect it during shipping. The first time I took my bus around the block with it, all the grey turned pink and green. By the third time I drove it the paint was pretty much all garbage. Sorry I don't have a better picture, but you can see the paint here if you click on it to bring it up full size.

Bill how did yours fit? There's been a heated discussion on the IAC website about fitment issues. The Bus Deport kit also comes with the incorrect (splitty) tailpipe.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the box the muffler came in. FYI, it's not packaged well from Bus Depot. In fact, I'd give the packaging a big F. The muffler and parts are just thrown in the box with the other accessories in the kit. Miraculously, the only shipping damage was a bent clamp.

Robbie's on point with the paint job. Its pretty much all burned off now. It's not a concern to me though living in the dry desert. My bugs stock mufflers have no paint and no rust on them after 10 years though they are not driven in the rain.

Fitment? It wasn't too bad actually. It slid on the exhaust studs and heater box pipes w/out me having to loosen the heater boxes. The carb manifold preheat pipes needed to be slightly pried over to get the bolts lined up. The only big rock on fitment is the fresh air tubes that hook up to the heater boxes to the hoses on the fan shroud. They could use some work as the clamp from the heater box to the fresh air tube BARELY connects them. I'm sure I'm getting fan shroud air loss there as well. I also had to notch the connection pipe on the drivers side so it would sit down in the fresh air tube w/out hitting the exhaust pipe that runs through it. When you order this kit, you get an option of ordering the "splitty" tail pipe or bay tail pipe. They shipped the correct one for me.

Overall, I'd give this muffler kit a 7 out of 10. It does appear to be stamped with thick metal vs. the Brazil mufflers. As mentioned, if you live in a wet or humid area, you may need to consider getting it blasted and ceramic coated or paint it with something that will hold up to the heat.

Heathintexas, I thought the same thing in regards to how loud the bus was, especially on the freeway. I stated at last a 30% noise reduction. It could be even more. I wish I had a decibal reader for a before and after.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a few different exhaust setups on our 68. In the end found the stock exhaust to function the best. This is with stock cam and carb. The engine seemed to appreciate the back pressure vs the extractor type and Monza type. I think if you get into some sport cams, some head work, induction work, the extractor might help the hp and torque.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint used on virtually all exhaust parts is not high-temp paint. It is really only designed to keep surface rust from forming while still on the warehouse shelf. It will burn off in no time. This exhaust kit we sell is by far the best quality we have been able to find. It is definitely nicer than the Brazilian stuff, and while not quite up to the Ernst (which is no longer made) it comes very close. I wouldn't hesitate to put it on my own Bus. (

As for the packaging, that is how they come from Europe. Generally exhaust manufacturers just throw everything in a big box with no protection at all, as they consider the parts to have "no cosmetic value." Minor dings and scrapes are not uncommon by the time they get to us, but they will not affect performance or reliability. (Of course if there was anything significant like a split seam we'd replace it -just let us know when you open the box - but that's very rare.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed 2 Dansk/Jopex mufflers on my beetle in the last few years and I will concur with wcfvw69 that the biggest fitment issue comes with the fresh air tube junction tinwork. It just ain't right and requires tweaking to get everything lined up through the rear tin and on the other side with the clamp to the heater box. The first one I did had a large gap on the drivers side even with the clamp installed. My solution was to use Aluminum tape and it held up really well and came off easily when I broke that engine down recently.
The latest one installed on my new engine fits way better, still took some bending to get the fresh air tubes centered. The quality overall is pretty good. the one I just took off my old engine has surface rust but I am going to sandblast it pretty soon and try painting it with VHT Flameproof and baking it for future use.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
The paint used on virtually all exhaust parts is not high-temp paint. It is really only designed to keep surface rust from forming while still on the warehouse shelf. It will burn off in no time. This exhaust kit we sell is by far the best quality we have been able to find. It is definitely nicer than the Brazilian stuff, and while not quite up to the Ernst (which is no longer made) it comes very close. I wouldn't hesitate to put it on my own Bus. (

As for the packaging, that is how they come from Europe. Generally exhaust manufacturers just throw everything in a big box with no protection at all, as they consider the parts to have "no cosmetic value." Minor dings and scrapes are not uncommon by the time they get to us, but they will not affect performance or reliability. (Of course if there was anything significant like a split seam we'd replace it -just let us know when you open the box - but that's very rare.)

Ron, I'm just curious if you give feedback to your vendors like this one about the quality of their parts and packaging? Clearly, the could make some adjustments to the fresh air tubing for better fitment on the engine.

If you do share this feedback, do they listen?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Busdepot wrote:

Ron, I'm just curious if you give feedback to your vendors like this one about the quality of their parts and packaging? Clearly, the could make some adjustments to the fresh air tubing for better fitment on the engine.

If you do share this feedback, do they listen?

This is a concern of mine as well. The fitment of the fresh air receptacles was so poor on mine, I ripped the crimps open, rebent the "kidney" exchangers and crimped them into place, sealing them with exhaust putty. Eight hours to install a muffler. Crying or Very sad
d21998
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best $200 dollars I've spent on my bus...! New Muffler Reply with quote

Is that the old muffler laying next to the bus depot one? How long did you have the old one on your bus? Thanks. how's your heat now?

wcfvw69 wrote:
As you can see in my thread link below, I bought this bus last summer. I've been going thru it mechanically since.

Well, I finally got around to changing the header/single muffler system and installing a new stock muffler on it. I like and maintain my VW's in their stock condition though I do appreciate other folks well done mods too.

I bought the best stock Muffler Bus kit that Bus Depot sold and installed it yesterday. I have to say, I am SHOCKED how much quieter this bus is now compared to the previous header/muffler system. I did some errands this am that included a couple of 10 mile freeway runs. It's AT LEAST 30% quieter inside the cab with the stock muffler. The bus is actually "relatively" quiet inside! I can have a conversation w/the GF now. I can't believe how pleased and happy I am after installing it.

I thought I'd share in case others are running headers/single mufflers and like me, think they are a bit loud.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best $200 dollars I've spent on my bus...! New Muffler Reply with quote

d21998 wrote:
Is that the old muffler laying next to the bus depot one? How long did you have the old one on your bus? Thanks. how's your heat now?

wcfvw69 wrote:

Yes, that old muffler is what was on the bus when I bought it last summer. It's a "thunderbird", whatever brand that is. The heater on the bus worked before. I simply routed the hoses from the fan shroud down thru the tin and connected them directly to the heater boxes. This engine is missing a working thermostat. The previous engine builder has the flaps in the shroud but they are welded fully open. I've aquired most of the parts to get the thermostat hooked up to working cooling flaps. I've even sourced a bowden cable for the oil bath pre-heat. The thermostat and flaps working correctly makes a HUGE impact on the effectiveness of the heater. Both my bone stock bugs having working thermostats and flaps in the shroud. The heaters blow hot air quickly and will cook you in 10 minutes. W/out the thermostat and flaps, it takes a LOT longer to get hot air if it ever gets hot.

Heathintexas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this today. It looks like we'll be having to extremely modify these mufflers since they're the only thing still available. It's a real bummer they cant make these things correctly from the factory.

http://haysvwrepair.com/how-to-make-a-crappy-dansk...ything-it/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: