Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Rebuild or Sell
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FantaFanta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: To Rebuild or Sell Reply with quote

Firstly, thanks thesamba cause this is where we found our bug! 1977 convertible in Marino Yellow. We needed it as a daily driver, but she graduated to weekend rig a few months back.

The engine recently seized on us and I'm in the uncomfortable position of deciding whether to off it to someone as a project or pay a local shop to rebuild it. We'll probably sell it in the next couple years either way, but hard to part with her right now.

What would you do? I guess my question is: 'what's an non-driving 77 droptop with some body rust worth?' vs. 'the same car with a re-built engine?'
tadslc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuild

Everyone needs a weekend driver and how are you going to replace for the price of a rebuilt motor?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem with a non-running car is that the potential buyer has to take you on your word that the tranny, brakes and suspension are fine. When I look at a car like that, I am basing my offer on the assumption that all of those need work. Would suggest looking for a running complete engine to drop in and then try to sell it.

It's really like this - old cars need TLC regularly and if you have to pay someone to do it, it gets damn expensive.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely either rebuild the motor or drop in a new crate motor, if that's all she needs. Engine is relatively cheap and easy, and you know that everything else is in good condition. No sense in getting rid of it to start over with an unknown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question - do you have a good reputable VW shop in your area?

Second - any idea why it seized? Don't be shy

As mentioned you will never get anywhere near what is worth, especially with a seized motor. I am not trying to insult you, however, the average person is going to hear seized engine, and believe that the car was neglected (I'll give you $500).

Depending on why it seized, and what kind of damage it did, you might be able to do a partial rebuild, get a few years out of it, then sell it. Also be forewarned, that if you do a to spec full rebuild, you will probably not be able to recoup the cost. So it really boils down on how long you would really like to keep the car

Of course there is an third option. If you decide to sell the car, strip the motor down, and put EVERY part into boxes and bags, and say that you ran out of money. Don't lie, tell the seller that it needed a rebuild, but you couldn't afford it. Let the buyer inspect ALL parts and let them make their own decision.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
FantaFanta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

Reputable VW shop - Yes, I'm in San Diego. I've fixed minor problems myself, but would trust any of these shops more than myself on an engine replacement or rebuild.

Another weekend driver - Not sure that's in the future cards. I live in OB and happen to have a garage now, but won't always. Which is why cutting and running is on the table.

Neglected - Not particularly. I'm 3rd owner and keep it in the garage. Haven't had it for a whole lot of miles (~6k.) In that time had the oil changed twice and had it tuned once at a local dub-only shop. I drive it pretty gently. The previous owner was diligent about maintenance as well from what records show.

Why it seized - Argh. Wish I had a better idea. A friend was without a car and borrowed for longer than planned...seized on him. It for "Was time to go" is one option. He had topped off the oil (with some random crap) so the oil was at least at level. He said the oil light had been coming on and story ends with "just stalled out." Was driven harder in those 3 weeks than my entire ownership, but as stated, I wasn't there.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem if you decide to sell is what the future buyer is going to perceive when they look at the car. I myself was burned when I bought my 69 DD back in 1987 (yes I've had it that long). In this case, I bought it without an engine, but the body was pristine. Long story short, the trans would have made a perfect boat anchor.

So now, I and most people that I know assume that if the engine doesn't run, the rest of the car is bad. However, being a convertible in SoCal, is a plus, and if the paint is pretty and the chrome is good, Newbies, and / or people with a parts stash, may fork over a few bucks.

The one rule that seems to over ride common sense is that performance doesn't sell, PRETTY does.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um the freind prabably ran the bajeebers out it. Any how, What does the vehicle look like. Honestly spend about 2k get a motor in it. It will be more valuable. Like others have said not being able to drive the car means the vehicle systems cannot be tested. SAve all receipts on whatever you decide.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
As mentioned you will never get anywhere near what is worth, especially with a seized motor. I am not trying to insult you, however, the average person is going to hear seized engine, and believe that the car was neglected (I'll give you $500).

Truth. We bought my 71 Super with a seized engine. Although the price was low, I still feel I overpaid because front body work, brakes, suspension, and steering were also shot out, with the transmission seemingly not far behind (shifts hard).

We paid $700 for it unable to test drive just because I was so anxious to bring home any Dub with a good pan. $500 was more reasonable, but the spare parts that came with the car, and good parts from the seized engine, made up for the extra $200 I wish we didn't spend.
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to a San Diego Air Cooled Meeting any Tuesday Evening (Rallyburger, 3rd and Moss Chula Vista) or our Air Cooled Fiesta May 17 at Soutwestern College and I am sure someone can help you. We have good mechanics in the club and know most of the others in SD.
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to a San Diego Air Cooled Meeting any Tuesday Evening (Rallyburger, 3rd and Moss Chula Vista) or our Air Cooled Fiesta May 17 at Soutwestern College and I am sure someone can help you. We have good mechanics in the club and know most of the others in SD.
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FantaFanta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Thanks! I'll try to make it to the one next week.
FantaFanta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this thing set me straight if the only thing wrong is that the motor seized? (sorry to be a newb.)

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/300125

[img]http://image.mamotorworksmedia.com/imageproc.aspx?img=/legacy/jan26loaded/img300/300125.jpg[/img]
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAM uses a bulk engine rebuilder (not GEX but another place, can't remember at the moment) and the reputation isn't all that good. Basically they throw "new" junk parts into the rebuild, don't balance anything and slap it all together.
It might seem like a deal but once there is a problem, you are shipping an engine back and forth likely on YOUR dime, not to mention removal and installation, and time of your car being down.
Honestly you are on the West Coast, Cali has some of the best VW shops on the planet, engine rebuilders, machine shops, and south of the border you can get the whole body rebuilt and painted for pennies on the dollar. Shipping a longblock from the midwest seems to be low on the option list.
I recently had a turnkey built by a trusted mechanic friend and buying the best parts I could find it ran about $3k, but has been running flawless for 6+ months now. Mind you, thats TURNKEY, your link is for a longblock.
You should talk to some local VW people in the scene where you are, they will steer you in the right direction.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's a feedback section for this type of thing, but just wanted to throw out that Brother's machine in Ontario built my longblock for about the same price you're looking at. balanced, set up for remote oil filter, and delivered. Been in about a year now, the old buggy has never been happier.

http://www.brothersvwmachineshop.com/

Since you're in SoCal, there's probably at least 20 shops that can do the same for you. Check the calendar, there are a lot of shows coming up, good chance to talk to folks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will regret selling your car. Stick with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: