Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What out of the ordinary cars did you see today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my moms honda oddsey Shocked that I had to work on today....well there is a first time for everything and today I saw something I have never seen or heard of before. the motor mount has vacuum lines going to it Shocked WTF????
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - no pictures to post right now.
Sunday I saw a 1966 Yenko Corvair Stinger. It was serial number YS 0004 - 4th off the assembly line. Yenko put his own serial numbers on them - they did not have GM serial numbers. It was a street racer version (instead of the white full race version) so it's value wasn't near what the race versions get. I understand that Leno and Tim Allen both have at least one. It had some really cool vents on the engine cover that opened and closed (movement was allowed by magnets). - was a stage 1 car.
AND a 1961 Corvair pickup truck that was really sweet - and I can purchase if I really want it! I really like the side door on it.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one of these in the WalMart parking lot...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And one of these driving down the road...

Both within a few hours of each other, yesterday.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my moms honda oddsey Shocked that I had to work on today....well there is a first time for everything and today I saw something I have never seen or heard of before. the motor mount has vacuum lines going to it Shocked WTF????

Some of the Audi vehicles have engine mounts with electronic sensors. More bizarre yet are the Toyota Camrys with hydraulic cooling fan motors.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Saw one of these in the WalMart parking lot...

One of these? There's more?
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Vixen RV
Here's a flyer - https://toyotachinook.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/vixen-rv-ad.jpeg
They've got a BMW turbo diesel, which gets 30mpg.
Neat machine

Passed this guy a couple months ago, took a pic and forgot about it till I was flipping through my phone

notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this before. Built by AM General as a purpose built disabled vehicle.

http://www.mv-1.us/

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Never heard of this before. Built by AM General as a purpose built disabled vehicle.
Hmmm... I see disabled vehicles on the side of the road on a regular basis. Does it automatically pull to the side of the road and call a tow truck during it's disabled cycle? Some cars can even parallel park themselves. Confused
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing looks like the love child of a Honda Pilot & a Pontiac Aztec. As for their claim of "safety first", using a wheelchair in place of automotive seating is monumentally stupid, unlike the automakers that have to comply with safety regulations, wheelchair manufacturers don't design wheelchairs with crash worthiness in mind.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Have to agree with that.. Really, what is the safety belt going to do but cause more injuries as the chair collapses under the impact? Although I see what appear to be anchor points in the floor.. still..

Maybe the manufacturer figures that you're wheelchair bound anyway, one more accident won't hurt...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
That thing looks like the love child of a Honda Pilot & a Pontiac Aztec. As for their claim of "safety first", using a wheelchair in place of automotive seating is monumentally stupid, unlike the automakers that have to comply with safety regulations, wheelchair manufacturers don't design wheelchairs with crash worthiness in mind.

My boss in in his 60's. He was disabled by the polio epidemic in 1951. He has been driving a full size van, from his wheelchair, since the mid 70's. I helped convert his most recent 2013 Chevy Express. We installed the lift ramp, hand controls, and modified the floor so that he sits low enough to see through the windshield. I also built the entire interior since it was a bare panel van to start with.

To say that he is somehow unsafe while driving the van from his chair is silly. He is belted in securely at several points. He even has airbags with this one. He still has his 76 Dodge van, that has over 600,000 miles on it.

He also has a Honda Goldwing that he drives from the sidecar. It is an amazing piece of engineering.

Safety police make me chuckle.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my customers just got rear ended Friday, she is only 95lbs yet the accident caused the adjusted mechanisms to fail. If someone in a wheelchair were to take that kind of hit, if the wheelchair remained intact, with no head support, they would be looking at an internal decapitation or severed spine. I hardly consider myself "safety police", none of our air cooled cars factory seats would be much better than a wheelchair but for a manufacturer to claim "safety first" & rely on someone else's equipment is just begging for a lawsuit.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving the van and being a passenger in it are two different things. The vehicle shown does not have the chair in the driving position, just the passenger - and relying solely on the chair, it's anchor points and a seatbelt don't seem entirely safe to me. Just because your boss hasn't been in an accident with his current converted vehicle doesn't mean it's still "safe".
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the transport for disabled in our city. At first I thought they were a new Checker Cab design.

notchback wrote:

http://www.mv-1.us/

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
the accident caused the adjusted mechanisms to fail.

Were they designed that way as part of the crash mechanism as a way to absorb energy?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Driving the van and being a passenger in it are two different things. The vehicle shown does not have the chair in the driving position, just the passenger - and relying solely on the chair, it's anchor points and a seatbelt don't seem entirely safe to me. Just because your boss hasn't been in an accident with his current converted vehicle doesn't mean it's still "safe".

I never claimed his situation was completely safe, only that this is the situation he is in. If not for his ability to be mobile through the use of his van and motorcycle, he would likely have died of boredom a long time ago.

Last edited by cdennisg on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article about handicapped motorcyclists. Scott (my boss and good friend) is pictured in his Honda sidecar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/automobiles/autospecial/24disabled.html?_r=0
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Were they designed that way as part of the crash mechanism as a way to absorb energy?

I don't know but I'm sure it provided infinitely more protection than a wheelchair would if it were subjected to the same.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I don't know but I'm sure it provided infinitely more protection than a wheelchair would if it were subjected to the same.

So should wheel chair bound folks just stay home?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, but that company is effectively securing school chairs without sufficient back & neck support & claims "safety first". I'm glad your boss has the ability & desire (or checkbook) to retrofit a motorcycle but no one is under the illusion that a motorcycle is going to save them in the event of an accident. I think we've hijacked this thread enough, start a new thread if you want to continue the discussion.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 63

Jump to: