Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been thinking about steppin' up...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Been thinking about steppin' up... Reply with quote

195+ flywheel HP, N/A (no turbo, no EFI, etc.), carb all motor, T1 config., streetable, reliable (within reason) ...

How?

Now running 150-160 HP very streetable manners ... but want more.
Opinionated opinions welcome.

Twisted Evil
MarvinNash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an engine that is exactly that. Built by Anibal chico. It made 195hp on his dyno, and I've driven the car 3 hours on the freeway about 85mi in one trip, so I know it's reliable. Head temps never get that hot, the engine runs great, and has tons of power. My specs are

2332cc
Web 86c cam
9.45:1 compression
44x37 big wedge ports
48idas w 42mm venturies in tall manifolds
1 5/8 exhaust
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do you have right now? The more info you add, the better answers you'll get.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Well, what do you have right now? The more info you add, the better answers you'll get.

Okay... I'd like it to be a 2276 (cuz that's what I have now) 1 5/8" exhaust..., everything else is on "the chopping block".
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarvinNash wrote:
I have an engine that is exactly that. Built by Anibal chico. It made 195hp on his dyno, and I've driven the car 3 hours on the freeway about 85mi in one trip, so I know it's reliable. Head temps never get that hot, the engine runs great, and has tons of power. My specs are

2332cc
Web 86c cam
9.45:1 compression
44x37 big wedge ports
48idas w 42mm venturies in tall manifolds
1 5/8 exhaust

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout right here! I'm thinkin' 2275, 10:1 cr, DRD L7 heads, 48 DRLA's, everything else the same.... Same HP?

MarvinNash - BTW, I just recently drove my 160 HP 2275 300 miles+ 'round trip on the freeway (and around town extra mileage) 75 mph, 3500 rpm most of the way; she ran PERFECT.
Want similar reliability/drivability from 195+ HP, same displacement, same exhaust...
Thoughts?
MarvinNash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the engine has to be built "right" by a proper builder with a good combination of parts, and tuned well.

I'd keep the cr somewhat "low", probably under 10 unless you're running squishy Pistons. The 86c cam likes 11:1, and My engine with 9.45:1, while on the low side for this cam, feels incredibly powerful still.

Use stock type head casting for cooling. Not street eliminators.

Use an external oil cooler w/ a fan for keeping oil cool on longer trips. Possibly 2 or a dual fan type cooler.

Use as much stock tin as possible including sleds and industrials. Some say the Chinese tin works fine too however.

Prop deck lid or use convertible deck lid for more engine air.

.89 final gear in a 3.88 trans or possibly .82 to keep rpms low on freeway at 65- 70mph. If I start cruising faster than that my head temps start rising. For mine, 65 mph is my sweet spot. Use a Berg 5th gear trans if you want to drag race with close ratio gears, then cruise on the freeway with low rpm. My trans is 3:88, with a close 3rd for drag racing, and a .89 4th for freeway driving. It was the best compromise for me between the 2 but there's a huge drop between 3rd and 4th.

Just be prepared to baby this engine a bit to get it reliable while freeway driving. It will need more attention, more maintenance because it is higher strung, and you will probably have to go a lil slower on the freeway so it won't overheat depending on your build. But you could have a 200hp daily driver Smile
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What heads are on the current engine?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine specs:
Tim's Stage 2 plus heads (welded, p&p, 42x37.5)
1 5/8" exhaust
Dual 44 IDF's, 36mm vents
Stinger S4 Ignition
SLR XR302 cam, CB 1.4:1 rockers

This is what I meant about adding info. Your compression is around 9.6:1, right? I'd sell my heads, exhaust, and carbs and get a new cam combo. There are many ways to reach 200 fly horsepower. With a 2276, you'll get it around 7000 RPM, with 44x37 heads, a 1 3/4 exhaust, and 48mm throats. Choose whatever ratio rocker cam brand you want.

Oh, and with the same amount of ccs, I wouldn't expect to have the same kind of driveability. The powerband is going to move up to make another 40-50 HP.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super pro heads,86-88 stroke,1 3/4 exhaust. 48's or biger.possiably cam change too
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a pretty fancy EFI and turbo setup for less than what it would cost to upgrade plus you could put it on the engine you have and be at 300 hp.

It would be a docile cruiser till you mashed the throttle....

I hope to be at 200 plus hp with my 1679cc turbo as soon as I get it back together with the new heads. I only need 20 more hp. Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much power do think I'd be at if I just change the cam (FK45, XR316, or 86c) and carbs (48 DRLA's or 48 IDA's) and up compression (now at 9.5:1, take it up to 10-10.5:1)?

BTW, trans is as follows: 3.88 final drive, 3.78 1st, 2.25 2nd, 1.48 3rd, .89 4th. What I've really done with my trans is make it a 3-speed drag car with a freeway cruising 4th. The jump from 3rd to 4th while significant isn't annoying, especially since 4th gear is just for 40-45 mph+ cruising. I'd never use 4th gear in 1/4 mile drag race.

More out-loud thinking... I might have difficulty achieving that high of compression w/o fly-cutting heads and notching pistons. I had to fly-cut the heads for 9.5:1 cr and keep a safe deck height.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: