Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth buying: 1983 Vanagon with Subaru engine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Worth buying: 1983 Vanagon with Subaru engine? Reply with quote

Hello

First time poster but long time lurker!

I've had my heart set on a Westy for a while now and I'm finally ready to jump! I've found a delightful looking green beauty that I'm thinking could be the one. Just wondering if you guys with a bit more experience may want to weigh in on the van?

It's out of province so I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet in person, but I plan on checking it out next weekend.

It's a 1983 Vanagon Westfalia with a 4 speed manual transmission. 200,000km. The fridge and stove work and cosmetically things look pretty good.

Recently the owner put in a 1995 2.2L Subaru engine that was taken from another Vanagon that had been involved in a front end crash and was written off. The engine should have about 60,000 km on it and he said compressions tests show between 155 and 165 PSI on all four cylinders.

There is a bit of rust on the rear passenger side by the wheel but it does not go through. It also looks like there may be a bit of rust on the back bumper.

$10,000

Here's a link to the photos I have:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110844796641579473000/albums/6131539256419476385

Thankx so much for taking the time to read this!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good to me as long as you like the color Smile. That's a good price-usually go for 4-5K more in my experience.
Interesting vents beside the rear plate-never seen that before?
Fly out and drive back would be a good adventure.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scratching my head on those rear vents. I hope the PO did not do a bunch of hacks when the 2.2 Subie was installed.... Confused

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mindaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankx for taking a look!

I don't know what is up with those vents either.

I uploaded some more photos to the album so if you guys have any more input about anything you spot i'd love to hear it!

https://plus.google.com/photos/110844796641579473000/albums/6131539256419476385

Thankx again
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much rust for me at $10,000
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That van is a pass ! It's obvious it being freshly polished and not well done at that. Tent is ratty ,body is rusty ,window seals need replacement . I don't like to buy a car from a Hustler ( not a neg term) .The guy has a dead car in the garage and another Vanagon in the driveway and probably a few in the street. When you have that many projects ,you just have enough time to keep them running and not really fine tune or focus.
The Subie is what gives it any value, the guy is smart enough to throw some cheap wheel covers on it at least . A buddy of mine ,a Hustler says that the first thing someone sees are the bumpers and the hubcaps.
To me if that van ran well it's 6K tops.

Stacy

Good Luck
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not rust if you live in Ontario! I don't see the window rubbers being a problem-geez you'll just use it in the summer right?. Refresh when you paint it it 5 years.
Multiple vehicle in the drive? hell, we all do!
Tent? I don't see any holes.
If it runs well,you have an inspection done for the safety things I stand by the $10k as being worthy.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

92-94 were the optimum years for the 2.2.I would get a mechanical check - trans, brakes,suspension (very rusty shock there), CV joints, steering, how old is the rad?, check heads for leaks, have the coolant sniffed for hydrocarbons, timing belt and idlers?, piston slap?, then decide. Quite a bit of rust and likely some bodywork done.
johnnygreenham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm scratching my head on those rear vents. I hope the PO did not do a bunch of hacks when the 2.2 Subie was installed....

Vents are put in that position to create a higher draw of air through the engine compartment. The air, in theory gets sucked out the back.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnygreenham wrote:
Quote:
I'm scratching my head on those rear vents. I hope the PO did not do a bunch of hacks when the 2.2 Subie was installed....

Vents are put in that position to create a higher draw of air through the engine compartment. The air, in theory gets sucked out the back.

But why is that even an issue? This is a water cooled engine and doesn't need that. Confused There is no real need that I can think of to have that function. The pillar vents and the exposed sides of the engine do that just fine. Confused

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stated you had your heart set on a Westy. I'd do some soul searching and be clear on your true expectations. Will this one satisfy those cravings, or are you making mental compromises?
If your goal is to get one and hit the road, this one may not be your best choice.
Many subie engines "begin" life in a van with 75 to 100K on them so this may have 160K.
Are you capable of doing your own work? There are not many shops that can work on this van, but they do exist - do you live near one of them?

I bought a "project" for too much to satisfy that "gotta have a Westy feeling" and it took me three years and a load of tools, time, and money to get it to meet my goals - still needs a new transmission Wink

I'd offer 8 or keep looking.
Everyone's got an opinion - in the end it's your call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mindaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankx again guys!

I was a little surprised by the rust when the owner sent me those detail pictures. Not what I expected when he kept telling me that there was barely any rust.

I don't have any experience working on vehicles but I have a friend who does and I'm hoping to learn a bit so I can do my own work... But definitely don't want to bite off more then I can chew.

Love hearing the input! I'm not really sure what way I'll go on this quite yet.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did the conversion, that could be a major factor. If it was Ben I might consider it, but that seam rust looks pretty bad for 10 grand. Judging by the colour, I would guess that the rust has been painted over and is coming through the new paint, which tells me that the rust is far worse than it looks. Where in Canada are you?
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the others, that has way too much rust for the price, IMO. What else is hiding under the terrible paint job?
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
92-94 were the optimum years for the 2.2.I would get a mechanical check - trans, brakes,suspension (very rusty shock there), CV joints, steering, how old is the rad?, check heads for leaks, have the coolant sniffed for hydrocarbons, timing belt and idlers?, piston slap?, then decide. Quite a bit of rust and likely some bodywork done.

The 92-94 is a myth. The 90-94 ALL used the identical rings and pistons. The install in the photos looks to be a Kennedy kit. EJ22 motors do not have piston slap. I would concentrate on the rust, as everything else is fixable but rust will always be there...
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want an Escorial Green camper, this is a much better van:
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/volkswagon_westfalia_camper/2248495/
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwimmwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much rust for ten grand! Have you searched the Vancouver area Craigslist ads this time of year? You should be able to find a rust free van for that price!
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leery of a respray paint job when there is rust coming through. You only see what has managed to bleed through so far but no worries, the rest will meet up soon enough.

Premium price for less than premium IMO. I hate rust repair.

I went the opposite route. I bought a very high mileage van worn out but with original paint with little rust coming through. I knew pretty well what I was dealing with.

Yeah, engine conversion and bills to show maintenance or else you risk inheriting a worn out, behind scheduled maintenance and then you need to pour money into that motor too !

Good luck with your quest. Whatever you end up with, you should have 3-4k on hand after the sale to play catch up on many service items....
Mindaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to pass on this one. Like most of you have said at that price I just don't have enough money left over in my budget to feel comfortable with all the rust!
Before the detail pictures it looked a lot more like what I was looking for.

Quote:
If you really want an Escorial Green camper, this is a much better van:
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/volkswagon_westfalia_camper/2248495/

I don't need it to be green haha! That being said... I've already gotten in contact with this one and i'm waiting to hear back on some more details.

Thankx for all your input! I definitely want to make sure I get as solid of a van as I can.

If anyone want to throw in there $0.02 about the one above I'm all ears too!
[/quote]
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the rest of the gang here. Bought me a 10ft looker a few years ago--looks fantastic 10ft away, but up close the paint is falling apart and seam rust is blooming. I was eager to dive into van life and admittedly overpaid. Engine and drivetrain have been fantastic, suspension needed a bit of work, had to replace calipers, lines, hoses, etc, coolant system will eventually need attention.

Moral of the story, there's a hell of a lot more to pay attention to than you think when looking to get one of these vans. Engine and drivetrain, hoses and lines, suspension wear, brake system, coolant system, bodywork, interior. All of the mechanical shit can be learned with patience. Broken interior parts can be collected over time. The bodywork though, is just a pain in the ass major money pit.

If I could do it again, I would've bought a rust free van that didn't run/needed work. Most owners let them go for cheap, and often, if you're mechanically savvy, it's just a time investment to get the van where you want it to be.

I'd say the van you passed on is ~$5-$6k IF the engine and ancillary systems are all up to snuff. To repair that rust you'd be looking at an easy $5-$7k, depending on where you live.

I love my van to death. Learned so much, have had so much fun, but the seam rust and bad paint cover up makes it feel like she has a terminal disease that I don't want to acknowledge... I know that some day I'll either have to invest in some major surgery, or... put her down...

In the meantime, we're having the time of our lives. Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: