Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker covers.. are bolt on ally better
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy horse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Rocker covers.. are bolt on ally better Reply with quote

hi
are bolt on ally rocker covers better for sealing and heat dissipation please.
if so any recommendations as per best quality.
many thanks
rob
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur "No"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they could be good as window boxes with some herbs planted.

i wouldn't suggest using them on an aircooled VW no matter how "cool" you think they look when you lay mirrors under the car at a showground. Wink
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to cool the engine better would look else where. Please do post images of the engine and a little info on it, like size, DH or not, Etc....
crazy horse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: covers Reply with quote

hi guys
i am not looking for just something thats bling if it serves no purpose.
my engine is a 1914 motor with for house cooler twin del 45s etc.
i am looking to improve on standard but if its best standard then i am happy to keep as it is.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: covers Reply with quote

crazy horse wrote:

with for house cooler

What is that? Got images?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people prefer the bolt on ones because you can add breathers. Some people say they seal better and have less chance of sucking a gasket. Some of them are bigger for higher ratio rocker arms. Some people just think they look cool. Run what you want.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Some people prefer the bolt on ones because you can add breathers. Some people say they seal better and have less chance of sucking a gasket. Some of them are bigger for higher ratio rocker arms. Some people just think they look cool. Run what you want.

it wouldn't be difficult to drill a hole and braze a tube onto a standard lid. Wink
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason stock rocker covers work so well and are recommended is because they use the wire bail as a retainer. It's big advantage is that it maintains constant pressure on the gasket over a wide range of engine temperatures. Bolt-on rocker covers don't. With bolt-on covers, as engine temperature increases, the gasket is compressed more; as the engine cools, the pressure is reduced. This constant cycling leads a fatigued rocker gasket and subsequent oil leaks.

And if a bolt falls out, big trouble. Stock wire bails (in proper shape) don't ever fall off.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When installing a wider than stock engine, sometimes the heads and valve covers end up right against the body sheetmetal, and any flex can knock a cover loose. On my street car, with big stroker motor, I used to knock the passenger side cover loose if I hit a bump while flooring it. That's why I run the bolt on covers, with the bolts safety wired. They do absolutely nothing to help cool the engine though..
Not something I'd do unless I liked the look, or had covers knocked loose.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Empi bolt-on valve covers for years without any issues. They don't leak, and I essentially installed them because its convenient for valve adjustments: you just unbolt them (no shaved knuckles...you know what I mean if you've been there). There are 2 bolts keeping the cover in place, and I never had one loosening up so far. Also they are aluminum and ribbed, so I suppose heat dissipation is a little better (but probably not all that much though, let's no get overexcited here) than the stock steel valve covers.
The silicon gaskets haven't leaked so far, but I've found that after a few years of daily usage they do show some minor cracking in the material here and there; no too bad because there are replacement gaskets on the market.
I drive all year round, so with the salt in the winter, I noticed that the shiny aluminium of the covers has gotten dull and stained a bit (I don't polish them every week Rolling Eyes ), and the black paint in between the ribs has somewhat gone. But then again, I didn't buy them to become a cool kid (cause I already am Laughing ), but for convenience and reliability in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: