Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Deciphering This Color Scheme
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Help Deciphering This Color Scheme Reply with quote

I found these pictures on Instagram, this bus is from a guy in Brazil, and when i saw it, i immediately knew i found the color scheme i want for my bus.

I sent a message to the user, to try to get more info (color codes, etc.) but i haven't had any luck yet.

I already checked the Paint/Upholstery chart on the Technical section here on thesamba, and although i see some colors that are quite similar, i'm still not 100% sure i got it right...

HERE ARE THE PICS OF THE BRAZILIAN BUS:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In one of his posts, the guy mentions the color "Cherry". That's the only hint i have so far; comparing these pics to the ones on the color chart here, it looks to me like the red is maybe the Senegal Red... maybe not.
The top seems to be some sort of a "porcelain" tone... maybe not.
I definitely need a set of helping eyes Sad

Here's the link to the color chart:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

This bus is a (Brazilian) Deluxe... and mine is a (German) Standard... but who says i can't put a Deluxe trim on my 64 Standard, paint it in this scheme, and make it look similar to this one?

I would very much appreciate any help... planning get my bus painted rather sooner than later.

Last edited by VirtuallyReal on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a loose interpretation of Sealing Wax Red and Beige Grey.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Looks like a loose interpretation of Sealing Wax Red and Beige Grey.

Thanks.
Please check the pearl white and the senegal red, and let me know what do you think.

I just did a side-by-side comparison of one of the pics and the whole color chart, and those 2 seemed to be the the closest matches, IMHO.

Matching a color in a computer screen, based on a picture... that's it: my bus will turn out green over purple Applause ...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 3 pics may have some kind of filter applied, but appear to be shot in the kind of lights that can change a color's appearance drastically.

The last pic, while not very sharp, seems to be in much more natural light, and the red color looks totally different than the others. It looks like Beige Grey/Sealing Wax red, and the bumpers even appear to be slightly lighter, like Silver White. I think it's most likely those colors, rather than others from a different era bus.

There are lots of examples of that combo in the gallery, if you want more (and better) views of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
The first 3 pics may have some kind of filter applied, but appear to be shot in the kind of lights that can change a color's appearance drastically.

The last pic, while not very sharp, seems to be in much more natural light, and the red color looks totally different than the others. It looks like Beige Grey/Sealing Wax red, and the bumpers even appear to be slightly lighter, like Silver White. I think it's most likely those colors, rather than others from a different era bus.

There are lots of examples of that combo in the gallery, if you want more (and better) views of it.

Thanks!

In the last pic, the bumper is definitely lighter, like the OG silver white.... if you see the pictures from bottom to top (pure coincidence), it seems like the bumper was originally silver white, then he took it off, to color-match it with the top of the bus...

But i'll take your advice, and go check the gallery for other examples.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it does appear that the first pics show the bumper more like the top color. Anything is possible, but the first 3 pics are so clearly bad lighting for the purpose of color matching, that I went with the last one only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should take some pics to your local paintshop and have them mix something custom to your tastes.

That bus has custom paint, custom interior, custom safaris …… so looking through the Samba color charts for an exact "factory" color-match would be a colossal waste of time. (For the red paint at least).
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonKombi wrote:
Sounds like you should take some pics to your local paintshop and have them mix something custom to your tastes.

That bus has custom paint, custom interior, custom safaris …… so looking through the Samba color charts for an exact "factory" color-match would be a colossal waste of time. (For the red paint at least).

Sounds like a plan... Thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like sealing wax red taken through a horrid HDR and Instagram filter process.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: