Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth pulling home?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Worth pulling home? Reply with quote

Found a 1970, 411LE 2 door wagon, manual trans with sunroof. Still with the original owner who parked it under a red oak tree in the early 90's because it was, in his words, "all loosey goosey on the road". Car is literally melting into the ground, rust through on every panel and floorpan, hit on the nose, dented on both sides and missing rear glass. I lifted the engine cover to find that it all intact but full of acorns. Is this worth dragging 100 miles home even if free. He said if I can move it, I can have it. I was thinking of building a trike off of the rear clip, roof and all since the only thing not punched in is the back sheetmetal. No pics yet but I may return to it this weekend for a another going over.

Last edited by budnick on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SimiRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's not worth fixing, unless you're really good at finding parts and have an endless supply of time and money. 411's and 412's are difficult to find parts for. Might be worth scavenging the engine, transmission, window glass, etc. Always someone like me for these parts.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally....if its free....and you have the space to strip it and cut it up for parts.....there are literally hundreds if not a couple thousand parts that are no longer made for these cars....on that car. 411 and 41 have been coming out of the woodwork and hiding places.....and parts needs are growing. You could always sell parts off for cheap....or tell someone else where it is if you dont need the parts yourself. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold a couple 003 automatic transmissions w/subframes for Trikes.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took 4 hours to get on my flatbed with a 2500lbs winch, two jacks, and alot of sweat. When I put my hand on the drivers seat to put it in neutral the seat fell back onto the rear seat with the mounts still attached. It brought what was left of the floor with it. Got two spare tires under the bonnet. In short the car is only missing some trim pieces, rear glass and structural metal. Got some on the trailer pics for you all.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thats sad. I have only seen one sunroof type 4 car in my life.

The body is pretty ugly. But between the glass, interior parts and suspension parts etc.....you shouod recoup some money. Just keep It cheap and reasonable and things will alowly move. Good work! Ray
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

I didn't even know you could have a sunroof for 411. That alone should be worth something.

I'd buy it for my own except I've a fastback and it has different roof.

But anyway: I could see so many sellable small parts that selling them should cover the expenses and sweat for dragging it home and disassembling.

Even if sheet metal and suspension etc. is rusted beyond usable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be cleaning it out today and washing it out with a power washer to see how bad the damage really is. I never even opened all the doors when I when to pick it up so there could be anything inside. Then the car will put on jackstands and covered to await a future process. It will not be going to the crusher
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know.....I love your attitude!......but sadly....eventually....it will go to the crusher. The rear quarter panel damage is from foam injected between the panels. Typically that kind of rust is worse on the inside.

These cars have no pan. They are unibody. The outer sheet metal, doors, front and rear fenders....and even flat plates in the floor area can be gotten on line from junkyards and replaced. But when the complex inner panels are rotted away.....its largely gone.

But.....a, few have done serious inner chassis welding surgery with these cars. I salute you if you do. Bear in mind.....these were crash cell cars. They have difficult areas. Ray
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its of the trailer and opened up. Sunroof works perfectly, original sales ticket from 71 in the guys name that I got it from. I see now all the advice about non repairable damage. It is totally screwed. Tell me what you see. Appreciate your input.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to say. Pull off the fenders and doors. The flat part under the seats where the battery goes....is actually not a big deal.

Other areas under panels are not so hard. They dont have to be cosmetic. You could weld in patches.

the critical areas will be the mounting points for the rear cross member and the front subframe and the airbox behind the dash.

If they just have holes but are largely structurally intact...just dissolve the rust, neutralize, weld in patches and undercoat.

Its only the structural that will keep the car off the road. It may never be perfect without ground up welding with serious skill...but it may be drive able again and look decent....and that is saying something.

Also....LOL....you have no idea how many 411/412 I have seen in the junkyard that have trunks full of everything just like that one. They were a huge trunk and many junkyard guys put special or hard to find items in the type 4 trunks to get them out of the rain....plus it was pretty secure from average vw yard pickers who didnt know their way around the type 4 . Ray
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free or??

Prop it up
Open it up
Clean it out

Is the engine still in it?
I can Only imagine what the bottom of the engine/trans looks like

Remember they are unibody

Making it streetable will cost more than it'll ever be worth
Maybe ray wants a sunroof section for his baby

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor is still in it and complete. The PO told me he parked it in 1980 where I found it. In running condition. I believe him and the 70k mile odometer. I cleaned it all out then filled it back up with all the NOS parts I got in the deal.
Here is some under body shots.

budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the parts I got.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Lots of interesting stuff. Ray
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place WTB ads here & Craigslist for parts you need or even another body. It usually takes 2 cars to rebuild into 1 car. I just shipped these Type 3 heater channels to FL to go into a fastback if you can find a Type 4 parts breaker like me? Wink

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks bad but i'd try to save it. I'm currently repairing a 4-door 412 sedan which was in about the same condition as your car. I'm trying to save my car as there very few 4-door 412's here in Finland.
The worst part to repair is the rear crossmember attaching points -as many have noted already. The rear crossmember can be see in the last picture you posted. Check the attaching points at the both end of the crosmember. Floors and sills are not that bad to replace although they might look scary at the moment.
This is a very rare 411 Variant in the U.S. as it has a manual gear box. Also if the interior is dark brown -as it seems- it's the special-order-only "palisander" option. I'd love to have a Variant with sunroof and "palisander" interior!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooh...also...is that a 4 speed manual transaxle I see in there? if so...if it goes nowhere ...keep me in mind for purchase of the transmission and linkage. Ray
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare in the US as it is a manual,but it also has the Euro side markers and a sunroof. Looking at it though, it's a parts car and nothing more. Part it out and make some $$$ unless you weld and want a project that will drive you insane. The manual transmission Type 4's are quite common here in Canada. I have had a harder time finding an auto.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Ooooooh...also...is that a 4 speed manual transaxle I see in there? if so...if it goes nowhere ...keep me in mind for purchase of the transmission and linkage. Ray

Ray, I have a linkage removed from a Variant available right now. I was going to toss it in the metal scrap pile otherwise.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: