Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will There Ever Be an Improved Classified Alert?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Will There Ever Be an Improved Classified Alert? Reply with quote

I am sure this has been asked a million times, but are there any plans to upgrade the alerts settings?

It would be really nice to be able to get alerts from only a particular forum for a particular term.

For example, I cannot current set alerts for all "side mirrors" from Ghia.

I can only set ALL side mirrors from all forums or ALL ghia parts.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about this but to do that, it would not be instant.
Most/All people want the alerts instantly.

In your example:
You cannot alert on a phrase like side mirrors - you have to alert on a single word, like mirror.

For specific searches like you are doing I normally do a search and bookmark it in my browser. Of course this is not instant either - you have to run it.

I will think about it again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Evertt.

While I have you, I also wanted to ask you about the search tool. I have been asked by moderators to create 1 single thread that contains all of the questions I have.

For example: I create a thread called "Ghia Questions" and load up the thread with a lot of differing topics, gathering lots of differing replies.

A user wants to use the search tool to look for a question that may be contained within my thread. The search for a term, that returns my thread which may have that question or term in it.

Here's the rub - my ONE thread may have many pages of responses. A user that clicks on that thread seems to have to work all through the pages to find their answer.

Question : Am I just not searching correctly, or is there not a way to be taken to the specific search "term" when clicking on the thread result from the search tool?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Will There Ever Be an Improved Classified Alert? Reply with quote

Mscdman wrote:
I am sure this has been asked a million times, but are there any plans to upgrade the alerts settings?

It would be really nice to be able to get alerts from only a particular forum for a particular term.

x2 on this. This would be super helpful and cut down on the number of alerts your servers have to send out as many are not really wanted by the user. I probably get triple the number of alerts now because it searches across all forums, not just the one I'm interested in.

Thanks Everett.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mscdman wrote:
Thanks Evertt.

While I have you, I also wanted to ask you about the search tool. I have been asked by moderators to create 1 single thread that contains all of the questions I have.

For example: I create a thread called "Ghia Questions" and load up the thread with a lot of differing topics, gathering lots of differing replies.

A user wants to use the search tool to look for a question that may be contained within my thread. The search for a term, that returns my thread which may have that question or term in it.

Here's the rub - my ONE thread may have many pages of responses. A user that clicks on that thread seems to have to work all through the pages to find their answer.

Question : Am I just not searching correctly, or is there not a way to be taken to the specific search "term" when clicking on the thread result from the search tool?

You would have to search again within that topic once you find a specific topic.
There is a search box at the top of every topic that searches that topic only.

Or you could search by "Posts" instead of "Topics" in the first place from the main search screen. Topics is the default.
Although searching by Posts can give you a ton of posts, it would also link to the specific post(s) within your thread.
For this reason, the first method above may be more efficient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Will There Ever Be an Improved Classified Alert? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Mscdman wrote:

x2 on this. This would be super helpful and cut down on the number of alerts your servers have to send out as many are not really wanted by the user. I probably get triple the number of alerts now because it searches across all forums, not just the one I'm interested in.

Thanks Everett.

You are correct that it would cut down quite a bit but the volume of emails isn't really an issue, it's the crunching of data to know who to email.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: