Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very bad news :-(((
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few words about insurance, Dorian. Agreed value (declared value) insurance is not valid in all countries. Check with your broker if it is valid in Belgium. If you can get it, take it. It's worth the extra premium and gives you peace of mind. It's most important value is that it makes it unnecessary to prove the amount of the loss when your car is damaged or stolen. This is especially important if you have a classic car and there is not enugh data for comparing values.

I agree with your tactics. Softly-softly first, and if that doesn't work, roll the guns out.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch !....On plus side you had a later model with the head rests that probably saved your necks from severe whiplash. Rooting for you and the car to a swift recovery
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
Ouch !....On plus side you had a later model with the head rests that probably saved your necks from severe whiplash. Rooting for you and the car to a swift recovery

INDEED!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

For several days I had a real big bump on the back of my head. I can imagine where all that energy would have gone without the headrest.
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're making progress. When my first '69 was rear ended, I simply replied to every "lowball" offer from the insurance company with 2 to 3 advertisements for ghias in similar condition to mine. Some were priced close to what I was seeking to settle for; some were priced quite a bit higher.

They eventually made a reasonable offer and we settled, but it took many weeks of negotiating.

You were indeed lucky to have high back seats! I have replaced the low back seats in every early bug/ghia/thing that I've owned with high back - you only have to get hit once to realize how easy it is to prevent the kind of back/neck injury that could affect the quality of the rest of your life.
86 quantum syncro
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfitzsimor wrote:
Glad to hear you're making progress. When my first '69 was rear ended, I simply replied to every "lowball" offer from the insurance company with 2 to 3 advertisements for ghias in similar condition to mine. Some were priced close to what I was seeking to settle for; some were priced quite a bit higher.

They eventually made a reasonable offer and we settled, but it took many weeks of negotiating.

You were indeed lucky to have high back seats! I have replaced the low back seats in every early bug/ghia/thing that I've owned with high back - you only have to get hit once to realize how easy it is to prevent the kind of back/neck injury that could affect the quality of the rest of your life.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll hang in there tightly.

Interestngly, I thought the low back seats look cooler and I was tempted to install some. But the wife was clear, she wanted headrests -safer. Shocked Shocked Shocked
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a late post but two weeks ago I suffered a nearly identical rear ender by a F250 truck but he on hit me in the engine lid and mostly in the right rear quarter panel.I also have a restored 73 Ghia worth apporx.23,000.Sad to say it happened but it is reality.My wife was also with me and fortunately we are okay.My insurance wanted to write the car off when a body shop come in at 17,500 worth of damages which was stupidly high and the insurance company where going to write and pay me out that amount but I would never see the car again.Money means nothing to me compared to getting my ghia back repaired.Alot of hard work to find this and the money would not spur me on to find another..Another GOOD body shop said he could fix it for 11,000 or so including parts which I had to resource from Canada and the USA.The insurance was ok with this estimate.The body shop said the quarter panels would be a challenge and they could be re worked but it would take a bit of labor.I hope I can encourage you that the Ghias can see the road again with a good insurance company that know what these cars are worth and a good body man.WE WILL have our ghias on the road again.
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoguy009 wrote:
I know this is a late post but two weeks ago I suffered a nearly identical rear ender by a F250 truck but he on hit me in the engine lid and mostly in the right rear quarter panel.I also have a restored 73 Ghia worth apporx.23,000.Sad to say it happened but it is reality.My wife was also with me and fortunately we are okay.My insurance wanted to write the car off when a body shop come in at 17,500 worth of damages which was stupidly high and the insurance company where going to write and pay me out that amount but I would never see the car again.Money means nothing to me compared to getting my ghia back repaired.Alot of hard work to find this and the money would not spur me on to find another..Another GOOD body shop said he could fix it for 11,000 or so including parts which I had to resource from Canada and the USA.The insurance was ok with this estimate.The body shop said the quarter panels would be a challenge and they could be re worked but it would take a bit of labor.I hope I can encourage you that the Ghias can see the road again with a good insurance company that know what these cars are worth and a good body man.WE WILL have our ghias on the road again.

Sad Sad Sad

Sorry to hear this - I am glad you guys are ok. These are such small cars! And mine was hit by a relatively small car too!

I am visiting mine tomorrow. The pain should be done and reassembly begun.

I'm also going to explore extra insurance and full coverage for an assessed value.

I would add emphasize that a good body shop is important - one that doesn't overcharge OR cut corners. You don't want to come away with less than you had....
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your car appraised is a very good idea.I had mine appraised at 18,900.00 and they offered me 18,500.00 if I didn't want the car fixed.Without the appraisal the offer probably would have been alot lower.The insurance is giving me a tough ride as a lot of body shops do not want to work on the car.I don't think a lot of the younger guys know the art of repairing sheet metal.I found a body shop with 36 years in the business and he said he could fix it but it will take a some time and effort to do so.This is the route I will take and hopefully satisfy the insurance so called people.I included damage pics of my car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lucky to have no motor damage.This engine is a 2006cc with all Gene Berg components.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: