Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron setup woes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't see anyone using those 'Regulators' don't he know they just restrict the flow? Yes get a Holley
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the Holley unit and a gauge last night. Hopefully will be here tomorrow if Amazon is nice. Will get the rest of my tune up parts today and do valves tonight to be sure we're good there.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got new Cap, Rotor, Points, and Condenser and installed today. Set points at .016. She fired right up and sounded much better but still pretty rich(I understand I need to adjust the carbs again after all these changes). Checked Dwell and it was perfect at 48. Checked timing at 7.5 but forgot to plug the vac line. Will redo this tomorrow.

Still waiting for my new Fuel Pressure regulator and Gauge. Valves and an oil change tonight if I can stay awake. Will report back tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news guys. As always, the masses were right. My problem was that junk "regulator". Swapped to the Holley this afternoon and dialed it in to 1.75psi. Made sure my timing was good at 32 full advance. Dialed in the mix as good as I could and voila...no longer running rich, runs through the gears with no backfire, sounds great and idles great.

I do have a partial throttle issue I can deal with later. I'll try and get video of it this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help thus far. Cool

Son and I gave her a bath as well Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masses were WRONG, because that "regulator" is the one most folks use. They are junk.

Now look at your plugs, they are probably coloring properly now. And now you can dial in the jetting. You are almost surely still too rich given how most guys jet Kadrons.

PS: NICE CAR

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I still have fiddling to do and much to learn about properly tuning carbs. I'm sure I'll get there Wink
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got about 30ish or so miles on her before she started backfiring again. Pulled the plugs tonight. Here we go again:

So 2 looks pretty much the same as it did previously. Unsure why that one plug is different when I am running dual singles. Car is still running too rich. Fuel pressure seems to be at 2psi so I can drop that down to 1.5 and try and dial her in again with new plugs. Thoughts?

Also going to try and give Jeff at Kaddie Shack a call tomorrow.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already know what I'm Thinking Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
You already know what I'm Thinking Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Wink

Laughing

I know these carbs can run right and make legit power...just need to figure out why they aren't running right on my car. Wink
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty rich, you might want to rejet those things, it will wake right up if it's not getting doused with gas

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to Jeff from Kaddy Shack for a bit today. He thinks for my motor, the carbs are jetted correctly. Said I should go back to square one, set timing at 32 max, set idle at 1100, re-sync and get the mixture right. So will try that again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even know what size jets they have in them, or are they the super-secret ones that aren't marked?

What size venturis?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Do you even know what size jets they have in them, or are they the super-secret ones that aren't marked?

The jet size is unknown to me and I believe they are not marked. I have not taken off the tops to look but I assume they are blank.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask again; venturis?

Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 venturis.

Heads are Outlaw 40x35.5. Based off of what I have read, 32's should be fine.
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I have ordered 55 Idles and 140 mains from Aircooled.net. Hope shipping times are kind to me. Smile Got a show in 2 weeks so I need to get her all ready.

Appreciate your thoughts/opinion on this John.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least you'll know where you are at with those.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet see ya @ 'Yipsi, (Vintage VW fest ) Cool Cool Cool
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping was very fast. Got the jets and idles today and installed them tonight. Piece of cake. Float bowls looked clean New set of plugs in gapped at .28. I don't have a jet gauge to check but it is obvious the jets that came with the set were larger than 140. Tomorrow I will crank her over and reset everything. See if I can dial her in.

140 on top, unknown size on bottom.
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played with things tonight to see if I could get her running half way decent. No Luck. I need some clarification from a few of the Kad tuning experts here because hours on the samba produces wildly different results.

1. Currently I have the Balance tube on. I find old posts stating the AJ prefers the ports capped if running a SVDA(which I am) as it tends to hide issues. Thoughts?

2. Idle: I hear 1000-1100 and also 850-900.

3.Vacuum: currently have an 034 with the vacuum line running to a 'T' and then to both carb ports. Some say I only need 1 carb hooked up and I have even read that hooking up to both carbs needs to be done a specific way with special brass fittings?

4. Timing: Everyone says set the timing with the vacuum line taken off the canister and the canister port capped. Currently I am set at 3000rpm at 32*. With 8:1 compression I have read I should shoot for more like 28-30. thoughts?

5. Fuel pressure is set at 1.75. Tried 1.5 and 2 and really no difference.

6. Also I noticed today while attempting to tune that both my intake manifolds were ice cold with heavy condensation. This was with the car running for a good 10 min.

Appreciate the help guys. This process is quite new to me and slightly frustrating...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: