Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Screen Size Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panpan388
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Oil Screen Size Question Reply with quote

My engine code starts with FO. From what the charts show, it is a '66 1300cc. So, I ordered an Empi 9923, which is to have a 14mm diameter collar in it for the size of the oil pick-up tube. I'm not sure if I received the correct part though. I used calipers to measure the diameter of the hole, and it is measuring 18mm. I measured the actual tube and it measures 14.5mm. Am I correct when I am assuming that the 14mm collar in the oil screen "expands" over the tube when it is installed? I am assuming that it is supposed to be a close fit over the tube.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only mistake was ordering anything from Empi

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113115175

Those don't fit tight just line up the screw holes and PLEASE don't overtighten the screw caps .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
panpan388
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I've been hearing that a lot! Smile
Did Empi just make up the 3 different sizes that they have available? Other websites show different screens for different years and different size engines.
I just want to use the correct parts and not slap it together with parts that work, but might not be the correct part.
I've been finding out that the previous owners of my buggy just put parts in that weren't really the correct parts.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Empi products simply don't fit.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Desmo9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Your only mistake was ordering anything from Empi

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113115175

Those don't fit tight just line up the screw holes and PLEASE don't overtighten the screw caps .

I just paid a premium including extra shipping for the strainer from WW. Three years ago when I last ordered a strainer from them for my 66, they sent the right one with 14mm collar. Now they sent the 18mm, under same part number, and don't stock a 14mm. The tech rep didn't even know there was a difference; have ordered from them for years and their credibility took a little hit now. Using an 18mm on the 14mm pick-up tube isn't something I want to do. It's not secure, there's a large gap for debris to pass through, etc. It'll allow a 4mm chunk of something to pass through, much larger than the chunks that can flow through the screen. So many shops are selling the 18mm where a 14 mm is specified, I wonder how many people are installing these on a 14mm tube and don't even know it?

Having looked all around, it does appear that the 14mm style with collar, is no longer available. There's a style without collar, just screen, that may fit but it looks kinda crappy. Empi number 9923 is the 14mm, used to have the collar but no longer does from what I can tell. And I think WW and a number of others are stocking Empi strainers, judging by part numbers. I am trying the 16mm style next, perhaps can bend the spring tangs some. I tried to bend the tangs on the 18mm (there are only 3, versus 6 on the smaller ones), but it didn't work well.

Seems like this would be a problem for many. One can order all kinds of correct-fitting parts for these cars, but something as critical as a correctly-fitting oil strainer appears to be unavailable.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Size Question Reply with quote

Desmo9: Unfortunately you seem to be right about this. The correct oil screens with the smaller collar are unavailable from any parts house that I've checked. I wanted to replace the one that's in my '66 because it's pretty beat up, but ended up with a collection of incorrect late model screens. I'm forced to hold on to the worn out screen I have now.
Race you to the classifieds!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Desmo9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Size Question Reply with quote

After a ridiculous amount of time spent on this... There are three bulk part numbers each ending in 175. 175 with no suffix should fit a 14mm tube, 175A a 16mm, and 175B a 18-19mm. Many of the base 175 screens have no spring collar, just a formed screen. Initially this was available with a collar from WW at 14mm. The collar makes it nice and secure, and supports the screen's shape. Now WW sells the same 175 part number branded as fitting everything from 40hp up (meaning cars that would have been equipped with 14, 16, and 18 mm, I believe), and what they stock has a 18mm collar. Ie it should be a B, for later models, and is not for an earlier car. Expected better from WW.

I've found that there are various 175A screens that, while advertised for 68-69 models (which I presume use a 16mm tube), are 14mm in relaxed form but will expand to 16mm. These work fine in my 66, they slide over the 14mm pick-up perfectly. Some leading resto-parts shops are saying that only the large-hole (18mm) is now available, and they appear to be wrong.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Size Question Reply with quote

JBugs lists a screen with a larger opening, and one with a smaller opening. You may need to call them for measurements.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Desmo9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Size Question Reply with quote

Yes was on the phone with JBugs for a while, first place I went after getting an RMA number from WW. Check their listing closely, they say they no longer stock small and large. So I asked the rep to measure the one they sell, and he told me he was unable to do so.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Screen Size Question Reply with quote

Desmo9 wrote:
So I asked the rep to measure the one they sell, and he told me he was unable to do so.

Wow - some "Customer Service" - like they don't have a ruler !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: