Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why don't people respond.....rant
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Why don't people respond.....rant Reply with quote

So I am in the market for a replacement car (non-VW...daily driver) and I am scanning the classic sites like cars.com and autotrader. New cars pop up as "newly listed" and if they are interesting to me I fire off an email to the seller asking some basic questions (original owner, accident damage, etc etc).

I am getting absolutely no responses. I understand that people are scammer cautious, so how do you create your email so they know you are not a scammer? I always identify the car, where I saw the ad, use my full name, and ask real pointed questions. Still nothing.

Maybe the response link from those sites go into their junk box. I don't know. Why put an ad out there if you don't respond to inquiries?
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it not just there. i have had the same experience on many sites, whether it was a for sale site or a forum
all i can say is, patience is a virtue
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your aggravation.

Its just as bad as all the people coming on a certain day and time, and can you hold the item and never show up.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's the same as happens here:
The car is sold so they don't respond and don't delete the ad
They have email issues - msg goes to spam or their email doesn't work at all
They are flaky
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience if anyone is genuinely serious about an advertised car, guitar or whatever then they will pick up the phone and call.

any skoolkid or scammer can type emails or text messages and i think a lot of advertisers are aware of this too these days. Idea
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if there's a phone number listed always try that.
If not, put yours in the email and ask them to give you a call.

My dad will only respond to emails that include phone numbers.

Also, I've had much better luck with craigslist when looking for cars.
Ten years ago I bought a '94 Ranger ext cab with 67k miles off craigslist for $2500. Ads on autotrader, cars.com etc all wanted 5 - 6k for the exact same truck.
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Windfish about Craigslist, but the no response thing can happen even if you call. We looked for a car about a year ago and got no call backs many times. I think its a combination of flakiness and being too busy.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally respond to my ads with the exception of those written that look like spam. Even then I usually respond and expect it to go nowhere. That said they usually follow the same basic script. Maybe your wording is close to that???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I have sold several cars and I am pretty adept to picking out the scam emails so I try to phrase them in ways that sound intelligent, that identify the car, reference things said in the ad and ask good questions.

I don't have time to sit and chat on the phone about cars that 30 minutes into the discussion I find out that they are selling for a "friend' or something stupid like that.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I don't have time to sit and chat on the phone about cars that 30 minutes into the discussion I find out that they are selling for a "friend' or something stupid like that.

Heh.
That was more or less my dad's response when I asked why he didn't respond via email -- he doesn't have time to deal with people who wont pick up the phone.

But yeah, I mean. I've written a few detailed, nicely formatted, and well worded emails asking questions about stuff on craigslist.
People very rarely bothered to answer, usually just a "you want to come see it?" so I don't bother anymore.
I'll just ask when I can come see it and if I really want it I'll list a phone number.

btw, "...so, why are you selling?" will weed out most of those "selling for a friend" and expose some of the severe bullshitters.
Always get interesting answers to that one.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
btw, "...so, why are you selling?" will weed out most of those "selling for a friend" and expose some of the severe bullshitters.
Always get interesting answers to that one.

Yes, I ALWAYS ask why they are selling !!! Very telling sometimes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...that's a great second question....IF I could get there!

These cars are in all parts of the country. To be honest they are a little more than I want to pay, but sometimes if you establish a relationship with someone so if a circumstance changes they have your contact and know that you are ready to buy.

Its a lot easier to be selective when you want to buy a car versus when you need to buy a car.
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very important question to ask is if the pink slip is in their name. That rules out 50% of sellers for me.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
in my experience if anyone is genuinely serious about an advertised car, guitar or whatever then they will pick up the phone and call.

any skoolkid or scammer can type emails or text messages and i think a lot of advertisers are aware of this too these days. Idea

I agree with you on the first part but it is VERY common to do text-only deals these days, even with full-grown adults.

I recently sold some stuff locally to a lady who was around 40 and I don't think she ever called me, only texted/emailed. She was smart enough not to come to my house alone at night though.

I also think people who are only texting you are more flaky too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
oorwullie wrote:

I agree with you on the first part but it is VERY common to do text-only deals these days, even with full-grown adults.

I recently sold some stuff locally to a lady who was around 40 and I don't think she ever called me, only texted/emailed. She was smart enough not to come to my house alone at night though.

i know what you mean and understand that almost everybody today has an i phone thing but i can't be bothered texting a lot with my old phone. Idea

i give the texters a chance and will reply the first time. when they send me yet another txt i'll reply with CALL ME. and if they send yet another txt i forget it and delete .............
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the guys that want to hammer your price without even seeing the car? When I shop I ask if they are firm on price and wait till I see the car to begin negotiations. I've hung up an some real but heeds - figure when/if they arrive it would only get worse.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oorwullie wrote:

i know what you mean and understand that almost everybody today has an i phone thing but i can't be bothered texting a lot with my old phone. Idea

i give the texters a chance and will reply the first time. when they send me yet another txt i'll reply with CALL ME. and if they send yet another txt i forget it and delete .............

This is totally reasonable. I have done this too - "Call me to set up a time"
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone is looking for whatever it is you are selling - THEY WILL CONTACT YOU.

...and if you don't get a call or email or whatever...that means nobody is interested! Laughing

You bring out something rare, and everybody else is looking for and see what happens. You have to beat them back w/ a stick. Laughing

Unless of course your asking price is ungodly too much people might think you actually do NOT want to sell the part.

This is not that hard, man.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've responded that I don't have text or picture phone, some sellers just ignore me. Even though I have the cash.

Apparently, they'd rather deal with someone younger who has the electronics but no money.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it's bad here? Try selling stuff on craigslist. I put non-VW items on it and most of what I get are scam e-mails wanting me to contact them at their personal e-mail. Same wording on multiple listings. I never answer them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: