Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration Questions
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO SEE IN A RESTORATION?
Keep OE (Originally Equipped)
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Some altercations won't hurt, maybe it will help?
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Restoration Questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I am new to the site and hope to stay here for good! A little history of me and my family. I have been around cars all my life. VW, Audi, and Porsche are how my families business started and grew. My grandfather started the business back in the 1970's out of his garage then moved across town to a bigger shop. He started with the classic VW bugs and Bus then expanded from their. My father just recently took over the business. But we have been working on a lot of modern vehicles and are tired of them. Both my father and I want to start doing restorations and get back to the roots with the classic VW's and Porsches.

But enough about me.

MY QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS IS

When you guys restore, purchase a restored vehicle, or watch a restoration thread: Do you want to see the vehicle as original as you can? or Do you like vehicles that stay somewhat original but has some slight alterations (Different wheels, Racing seats, custom dash etc etc)?

I know from a collectors stand point or someone who wants something that they remember back then to be as close to original as possible but would a little spice make or break the deal?

Thank you,
Tyler
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM as possible on a restoration as there are so many modified cars out there I am sick of it.
All the vanagons have been bought up by a outfit in Seattle and they modify them with subie's, rims etc...way too bad as they then charge a ton of money for the car.
Most mods I consider hacks other than slight improvements to the engine for a bit more hp as long as it look stock.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am along the same lines as Bleyseng....we may be saying the same thing...but to be precise I like restorations that are visually OEM...

However, upgraded brakes like better calipers and larger master cylinder I'm fine with.

Better quality lights in factory brackets and housings...no problem. Upgraded suspension underpinnings...without cutting and welding, a wide range of upgrades to the engine without hacking for something like a 6 cylinder or Subie engine......unless you are doing a full on factory all stock 914-6 conversion from a 914-4 chassis.....and doing it right.

Seats....modified stock but no cutting and welding. Bolt in only.

No dash changes other than factory upgrade instruments. I will go as far as LED lighting.

In short...if it can't be reversed with wrenches and screwdrivers....it has no business in a "restoration". I allow a lot for making a car more safe and survivable in daily and modern traffic. You have to make it survivable if you want to drive it a lot.
I have no problems with a choice of wheels that are upgraded just to make better driving...as long as no hacking, fender flaring etc.

And.....if its a "restoration".....new different wheels are not restored. That would drop it into the "resto-Custom" category....which is not a bad thing if the choice of custom parts is smart and adds driving value without hurting the original parts and drivability....and dont expect you will get your money back from them.

I agree...I am so tired of hacked up slammed cars masquerading as "restored" which has a very specific meaning. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your guys feedback.

I understand exactly what you guys wants. Keeping it as close to OEM as possible. Little tweaks here and there that are not major may be acceptable but may not help out in the long run.

I am hoping to start following in my cousins foot steps but in the Porsche/VW scene. He's a Mopar guy and has won awards for his restores.

Keep them coming please!
Archie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: OEM for me. Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm pretty much with the OEM guys. It seems to me that OEM will be worth far more as the stock of our cars diminishes, thanks to the customisers, modifiers and neglect. Heck, it's getting that way now; look at any movie or TV show from the Sixties and Seventies and it seems like every fifth or sixth car is a Type 1, now they're something of a rarity. Who'd a thunk it?
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of restoration:

If any part is available new or NOS, buy it.

Not returned to an original state is not restoration, it is refurbishment, at best.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: