Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: tachometer Reply with quote

Flatiron wrote:
So, I'm slowly but surely progressing on my build. Have almost all of my kit now, but still waiting on the oil pan before I put the zetec in the van. While I'm waiting, I decided to do some of the other little things, like replacing the resistor in the tachometer. Broke it down and got in there, ready to solder, and what I found looks very different from the pics in the manual.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My van is an 88, but is it possible that the tach got swapped for an 85 or 86 at some point? Anybody ever see the circuit board for one of those? Or know of another way to confirm the vintage of the tach? I'd be fine if I don't have to replace the resistor and can just put it back together, but I want to be sure first.

Interesting, I have an 85 so I havent looked but maybe submit a ticket to bostig, maybe they can easily discern what year that is from.
Flatiron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ask Jim about it as well, even though I know he is crazy busy right now trying to get the last batches of kits out the door. He suggested just trying it as-is and seeing if it works. Hopefully it will, but if anyone happens to have seen the inside of an 85 or 86 tach to compare this circuit board to, I'd love confirmation.
jlg2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: yard replaced intake manifold & crudoo in spark plug gal Reply with quote

A couple of engine prep questions:

My salvage yard engine had a cracked intake manifold so I had them swap out an unbroken one prior to shipping. It looks like it's in good shape, but I'm skeptical about the job they did (not for any reason other than they're a salvage yard and not mechanics). I think I should pull the manifold and replace the gaskets at a minimum, just to know that they're good and everything has been put on with correct torque, etc.
It doesn't look like too hard a job, especially with the engine out. Any tips?

On first inspection of my engine, my spark plug galleys had water in them with a bunch of rust soup.
Do most folks clean up the spark plug galleys with the cam cover off or leave it on?
I've sucked out the water, sprayed the plugs with WD-40, sucked that out, then blasted the area with compressed air. I'll probably go at the area around the plug insertion sites with a pick and repeat vacuuming and compressed air steps several times. At first I thought I might need to pull the cam cover to really get at the area, but that seems like overkill. Peeking under the engine oil fill cap the bit of cam I can see looks fine and with no rusting or evidence of water.

Thanks,
Jeremy
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, forget having the yard do the manifold. The gasket is around $18 at your FLAPS, and you'll want to do it yourself to make sure everything is done correctly. There's nothing hard about the job, just torque the nuts/bolts in an X pattern, slowly adding more turns, not one all the way down.

While it's off, clean the fuel rail, injectors, etc. Test the injectors with a 9v battery, and spray cleaner on them. (Bostig manual)

Once it's back together, flush out the cooling system with a water hose. Amazing amount of crud comes out!

Sounds like you cleaned up the plug galley super duper. I would not remove the cam cover until you've removed the plugs and everything is clean. That's another easy job, and you want to inspect the cams for wear, burning, etc. You also check the timing. (See Bostig manual page 86)

If you have an engine stand, turn it upside down when you pull the plugs, then nothing can fall inside.

If you follow step by step the Bostig manual, you won't forget anything. If you skip around, you might.

I put new plug wires and coil on mine, cheap to buy on Ebay. Save the old sets as spares.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on what Jeff said for cleaning up the spark plug galleys. I had a bit of water and some rust around plug #1. I also was wondering if that job would be easier with the cam cover off, but realized it was probably easier with the cover on since my shop vac hose fit perfectly in the spark plug holes. I sprayed WD-40, let it sit, used a pick, and Q-tips taped to the end of a screw driver to clean up. Then vacuumed and repeated til clean.

While unscrewing the spark plugs, I put the shop vac into the adjacent hole to suck up any micro debris.
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So making some good progress this weekend. But one area Im a little confused on is the T fitting for the heat core return line. The T came from Rock auto with a formed hose on there, but I would have to do some severe hacking to get it pointed towards the right direction. Im thinking about just cutting it off. Anyone else got any tips for how they are doing/did it?

This is how its hanging now, the hose infront of the hose is the heater return line.

Closer up image of the bends and how much its perpendicular to each other, Ill probably go get a 90 degree

Hanging in under its own hardware
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in RG3 and haven't gotten that far, but there's a video on prepping that hose. http://youtu.be/k6_Ukm916nU
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
Flatiron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you watch that video on the hose prep, it helps quite a bit. Depending on the year of your van, you need to cut either 2 or all 3 hoses off and just use the "T" section.
I definitely had to do some creative routing and trimming of hoses to get them all going to the right places. I managed to cross the main send & return lines, so I didn't have to deal with swapping them up front by the radiator.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the smaller T hose off, being careful not to nick the plastic. It was difficult to get the new hose on the T barb, try warming it up first.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am not happy adding plastic parts to a completely new cooling system.
I use Syncro stainless steel front to back lines...even on 2wd vans...and will be making up the T sections in stainless steel for my next Bostig conversions.

Saving a few bucks on a plastic part isn't worth the chance of it failing and dumping coolant.

Bostig billet thermostat housings and all stainless junctions and pipes for me.
Flatiron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's another snafu that I've not heard of before. I finally got my last RG4 parts package Monday evening. Finished up the power steering and exhaust installs, and was feeling ready to go! Just needed to slip on the old serpentine belt, now that the PS pump was on board. Alas, the belt is too long! Double checked the part # to make sure I didn't get the one for AC. Nope. Hmmm, maybe I got a goofy off-brand belt that's not quite to spec. Off to the FLAPS to purchase another (I need a spare anyway, right?). Still hangs loose. Check the tensioner to make sure it's working correctly. All good. Now I'm starting to feel stumped, so I dig into the various forums and manuals, and start taking a closer look at all the pictures. Something doesn't look the same in the area of my crankshaft pulley.

I don't know where that thing came from, but it's definitely not the right pulley. I knew nothing about these engines before this project, so I never thought to question it. It was in good shape, so I didn't think anything about it.
Anyway, found a correct pulley in stock at another FLAPS (nice day for a bike ride, thankfully), and I think you'll agree that there is a distinct difference!

Installed the new one, and now the belt is nice and snug, just as Ford intended. Hope to have my first start here soon.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Send me some when you make them! I agree with the plastic but saw no alternatives...
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Send me some when you make them! I agree with the plastic but saw no alternatives...

About midway down ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=200
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
insyncro wrote:

About midway down ...

Thank you!!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

First start and data logging for Kyle's conversion.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
insyncro wrote:

About midway down ...

schooled again! Those are awesome thanks!!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Thank you!!

thasty07 wrote:
schooled again! Those are awesome thanks!!

No problem! I think they are aluminum and not stainless though, just FYI.
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Fuel Rail Harness / Weird Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Hello!

I can't believe I only now thought to jump in a Bostig forum on Samba. :palm_to_foreheard: So, someone said they were Jim's most worrying customer - I would enter that contest! I have worried and worried and everytime, eventually, everything just falls into place. Stoked on the conversion. However - I have a couple questions:

1. Did anyone else get the black coolant level sensor from rockauto? It's got a pin connector and the harness has a female blade. I've hacked it, but I'm wondering if that will work until I get the correct one.

2. Anyone bypass their rear heater? If so, how'd they do it?

r
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

So, I communicated with Jim and I think I'm all right. I swapped out the blade style connector on the CPS from the wiring harness and put in a female pin style, expaned it a touch and put it on the pin of the sensor til it was snug. then i tape it up. fingers crossed.

I bypassed my rear heater - went direct to the front cooling hose and just clamped off the rear heater hoses under the van until i'm ready to pull the heater.

Cheers,
Flatiron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. Did anyone else get the black coolant level sensor from rockauto? It's got a pin connector and the harness has a female blade. I've hacked it, but I'm wondering if that will work until I get the correct one.

Yes, I got the same sensor. I just opened up the female blade connector on the harness a little bit, and it fits over the pin quite snugly.

My install is done, and after a small fuel leak and several rounds of burping the cooling system to get all the air out, things are looking pretty good. EXCEPT, I seem to have a vacuum leak somewhere, and it is eluding me. I have tried tracking it down with the usual propane and/or cleaner spray method, but to no avail. Swapped out the PCV valve as well, but no change. Gotta track it down, because it's throwing off the fuel trims, and I'll never get it past smog like that Smile !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: