Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bugpack sold to EMPI
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Bugpack sold to EMPI Reply with quote

This is not a prank.

I just found out that Bugpack has been sold to EMPI.

This is horrible news!
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yerp. I heard its true too.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closer to the goal of world domination.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so horrible? Would it be worse if Bugpack just closed their doors?

I think Not.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you are not familiar with the poor quality of EMPI.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that means, if you need something that bugpack has, buy it now before their inventory is dried up.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that empi will just package their usual crap with the bugpack name.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
JCQuick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad but true
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only one who experienced the quality rollercoasters...

some years Empi had great quality, some years garbage, I had the same luck with bugpack.

the same thing happens in every industry, it seemed like hard drive manufacturers rotated about every 3 years in the late 90's.. Maxtor was top of the line, then dropped their prices and quality, and seagate was best, then did the same, then western digital.. just gotta figure out who is doing the best work when you purchase your parts and try not to buy from someone who still has crappy stock in a warehouse..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily Glenn. There are plenty of companies that carry two separate product lines of differing quality, however, I fear that you are going to be proven correct. There is likely to be a merging of lines where cost counts for more than quality but I think some of the bugpack range will stay safe. I just hope it's the right stuff

Well, I reckon cb and scat will be happy
The opinion of the author as expressed does not always reflect that of the author nor does he extend any apologies or assume any liability or responsibility for its content or lack thereof or for any lack of humour of the reader of any content at all, anywhere, ever. The reader agrees to all risk by reading it and is advised that any ‘issue’ is theirs alone as they chose to read it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
Not necessarily Glenn. There are plenty of companies that carry two separate product lines of differing quality, however, I fear that you are going to be proven correct. There is likely to be a merging of lines where cost counts for more than quality but I think some of the bugpack range will stay safe. I just hope it's the right stuff

Well, I reckon cb and scat will be happy

Yes....I agree. There are plenty of company aquisitions where the aquired company....if it has a good product and healthy manufacturing and all of its own resources.....is left alone. It does not always mean that company A with good manufacturing practices has their production lines and process merged with company B with less than good practices.

The benefit to the buying company is that they get access to higher market share and customer lists. In best cases the buying company may also get improvement to their existing production methods.

However....this is all in the best cases. I more than half the cases I have seen the buying company tries meld the whole mess together under one production system.....dilutjng or destroying the better practices of the company they bought. Ray
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm done with VW's
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make you think though. I think EMPI has made a genuine effort to move upscale in a few markets, carbs for example. Who knows. Could be a good thing. We will have to wait and see. It is unfortunate that EMPI has one less major competitor though. Often times companies get lazy or careless without some competition. Only time will tell.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

^^Coming from a guy who put an Art Traen motor in a fat chick.
Not all there stuff is crap Glenn.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

So they will trick us? Anyway some Bugpack became crap poor welds, molding flash, cheap bolts, etc..
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past couple years, Bugpack wasn't delivering on orders. A LOT of it was out of stock, with No ETA when it would return. Ask any of their distributors.
Empi has the buying power to (hopefully) acquire the tooling, and actually produce their parts. Yes, some of their stuff Is Crap....But not all of it.
If they weren't in business, there would be a pretty big hole in the hobby that most likely wouldn't be filled by anyone else.

I say be Thankful.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people were happy with Bugpack. But to quote my old friend Ian Clarke "They all got something we don´t want" Over the last 4-5 years especially, I was´nt that impressed with the BP quality.

If this will stop Empi from copying out dated TM´s and improve the qualtily on some of their products it could help a bit. Think about it. Empi paid Art Traen and Jake Raby to come over and help them sort out a good deal of the issues with the Empi HPMX carbs. Today they are in the better end of the knock off carbs, if not the best. - Can´t believe I said that Rolling Eyes But is it so.

And What´s wrong with a Super Beetle (?) apart from the fact that it can drive significantly better than the short nose´s.

T
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I get a good deal on something used from these two companies I don't buy the stuff.

With OG parts and stuff that is avalible from smaller quality orented companies the stuff these two companies crank out is un-nessary.

Dan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
In the past couple years, Bugpack wasn't delivering on orders. A LOT of it was out of stock, with No ETA when it would return. Ask any of their distributors.
Empi has the buying power to (hopefully) acquire the tooling, and actually produce their parts. Yes, some of their stuff Is Crap....But not all of it.
If they weren't in business, there would be a pretty big hole in the hobby that most likely wouldn't be filled by anyone else.

I say be Thankful.

EXACTLY!

Any orders from Bugpack the shop I used to work at placed within the last few years almost had more parts back ordered than were shipped. Parts ordered from Empi had few, if any back ordered. And since Empi was many times larger than Bugpack, they couldn't come close to the freight rates Empi offered since they shipped out far less volume. NO ONE else is moving forward with promoting/expanding the hobby of Aircooled VW's like Empi. There aren't too many OEM maufactures, Brazilian, or German manufactures that make parts for 35+ year old VW's anymore. This is the future of the hobby. Even Bosch has discontinnued many stock replacement parts, and will soon be discontinuing EVERYTHING for Aircooled VW's. Empi will be a huge part of the future of the hobby. If you can't live with Empi's parts, then you will have a very expensive future of searching in the classifieds, or ebay, for NOS, NLA, non Chinese parts, or like Dave mentioned, get out of the hobby.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: