Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS license plate.
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsharun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: SS license plate. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Real or real fake? I have a chance to purchase it but know nothing on telling if it is legit and original.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the seller in hollywood? Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the chance to purchase many things other than that.

I can't appreciate a solitary thing about it. All the people who could possibly authenticate are either in convalescent homes and thank you to not ever see one again or are dead after being tried for war crimes.

What kind of sick fu** would want to fake one of those? I mean really. I'm not criticizing you if you collect Nazi era stuff, but if it's a piece for your car collection/display case...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only purpose for that would be in a movie.

I'll admit to a fascination in WW2 stuff; my family has a war-torn Nazi flag my grandpa brought back after the war, along with bayonettes, officer caps, and other memorabilia but it stays in a trunk, and we are connected to it through my grandad, who in my opinion deserved to bring whatever he wanted to back with him after he served.

As fascinated as I am with that war and everything about it, I don't go searching for anything Nazi.

I sure as hell wouldn't put that on my car, or my garage wall.

Now, if you own an actual kubelwagen or schwimmenwagen, I could see the allure.
dsharun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Like many of you I love the VW history that might be behind it not the nazi side of it. This would be my second piece from that time. First is a repro cog beetle pin, which I have 2 of. Would I display it? Probably not. Will I ever have a vw from the era that would need it, I can dream. Maybe it would help another with his resto.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plate in the photo is probably a fake. Most wartime registrations were not plates at all, but were painted to attachments on the car.

There are a lot of people who don't know the difference between the branches of the wartime German army. A WH prefix denotes Wehrmacht, or regular army. SS denotes the "pure Aryan" Nazi fanatics, who were responsible for most war crimes. If I had a Kubelwagen, I would have WH or WL (Luftwaffe or Air Force) plate. There is no good that can come from identifying with the SS.

About 7 or 8 years ago, a group of VW enthusiasts showed up at an event wearing black T-shirts emblazoned with huge SS lightning bolts because they thought they looked cool and gave their group an edge. It made a lot of people uncomfortable.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely FAKE !!

The font is wrong for the numbers, and the double lightning bolts are way off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's fake or real but If I had a Kubel or Schwimm, I would sport that! I guess I am done with things that occurred in the past. Or should I be mad at every guy that wears a Davey Crockett hat or a Conquistador helmet since I am Mexican.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ktr-sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, collecting these is quite a hobby:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771074

Valuable, I guess, for the historical aspect - tracing photos to units and then to time and place, and then maybe identifying individuals.

But, yeah, unless you were really into reenactments, I wouldn't advise hanging them on your wall.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: