Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replace or supplement stock oil cooler?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jitup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: replace or supplement stock oil cooler? Reply with quote

Hello,
Since I already have it, and I am building my engine to 1955.5 cc instead of stock I am interested in hooking up my oil cooler. I was going to pull off and plate over the stock oil cooler and run my external through a thermostat off of my full flow oil pump. I was also going to ditch my dog house fan shroud for and early fan shroud with no heater ports since I'm going with j-tubes.

But then I found this article.....
http://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=238

Now I am considering leaving my stock oilcooler and dog house intact, and just adding my external as a secondary with the themostat still. Any real life input? How do I fill my oil cooler? (its mounted on my roof) How do I keep the oil from draining out of the cooler when the engine is off or the therm is shut? I have searched around the web with no real luck. if you have any advice or links it will be greatly appreciated.
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont mount it on the roof
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't roof scoop it

jitup wrote:
I was also going to ditch my dog house fan shroud for and early fan shroud with no heater ports since I'm going with j-tubes.

Don't do that either. Stick with the stock shroud and plug the heater outlets, that's better than the EMPI or SCAT pos shrouds that don't have cooling veins. Use industrial tins on the J-tubes and you're good to go.

Run the stock doghouse cooler and you'll be fine.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Don't roof scoop it

jitup wrote:
I was also going to ditch my dog house fan shroud for and early fan shroud with no heater ports since I'm going with j-tubes.

Don't do that either. Stick with the stock shroud and plug the heater outlets, that's better than the EMPI or SCAT pos shrouds that don't have cooling veins. Use industrial tins on the J-tubes and you're good to go.

Run the stock doghouse cooler and you'll be fine.

X2

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Baja has a Doghouse cooler and shroud. It also has a cooler mounted under the back window over the louvers. But then that cooler has been there since the mid-70s. It works great.

The doghouse cooler gets air flow whenever the engine is running. But that is only about 1/3 of the engine's oil flow. That's why the oil exiting from the pump cover is called "full-flow". It keeps an engine cool most of the time. Under severe stress, if you need additional cooling, then an external cooler helps. And a thermostat is a good thing to prevent over-cooling.

In your thread on the roof cooler I commented on that subject.

Don't put an oil cooler over the fan intake because that just restricts air flow to the engine and pre-heats the air that gets in.

You know...you COULD put all of these little threads together into one build thread about your whole car.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattfarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I saw this post... I've been looking at oil coolers and trying to figure out where I'd like to mount one.

I live in the central valley of Ca, it gets pretty hot and doesn't cool off till late at night, not like where I used to live in southern Ca...

Just to clarify, has anyone run a secondary cooler with their stock dog house cooler? and does it help?? also, if not mounting it on the roof, where would you put it? I was thinking all the way in back of the engine, on the engine cage?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do in my truck and I never see over 180. But that's a different application.

Have you seen how Mr. Bill did his? He just routed the oil cooler inside the cabin next to the window (which isn't installed)

Putting it towards the back of the car would be interesting. Stick some fins on your pulley to make a little fan for the cooler Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattfarmer wrote:
I'm glad I saw this post... I've been looking at oil coolers and trying to figure out where I'd like to mount one.

I live in the central valley of Ca, it gets pretty hot and doesn't cool off till late at night, not like where I used to live in southern Ca...

Just to clarify, has anyone run a secondary cooler with their stock dog house cooler? and does it help?? also, if not mounting it on the roof, where would you put it? I was thinking all the way in back of the engine, on the engine cage?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't recommend mounting a cooler down behind the engine. But mounting one up above the engine on brackets from the hood hinge brackets would work.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattfarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, thank you!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you running just a little hotter then you would like. Replace the stock cooler with a Type 4 cooler. It is about a third wider, and really helps in the cooling department. You do have to modify the sheet metal bump on the fan house though. I used a cut off wheel and separated the bumped section down the middle and welded in a strip that was about 1/2" wider. It still clears the firewall nicely, and my temps dropped considerably. I also live in CA and the engine is a 2010, and I do not need an external cooler.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: