Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another TDI Vanagon discussion...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

MTDI or don't bother posting here.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustomizingkid wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Based on reading your Thread ^^^^, I'm not sure if there is a bit of sarcasm here or you changed your mind! Where is the project now? I'm interested in what you did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustomizingkid wrote:

Moderators?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, just because you are insecure about your choice and feel threatened by objective comments from a viewpoint other than your own does not mean that those comments have 'prevented you' from doing anything. I certainly do not have the power to prevent you from posting anything. Also, as I have said before in the thread you linked, I could not care less what choice you or anyone else makes regarding their conversion project. Thanks for the link. I'm surprised you'd post it considering how it makes you look. Did you ever figure out which tires and suspension to install and then move on to getting the van operational?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheesh, this thread went into the weird-zone

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Andrew, I'm impressed that you have admitted that you read my entire build thread .......... thank you very much.

Thank you for documenting it. It took more than one sitting but your thread was/is an enjoyable read. I commend you on your efforts and it sounds like you have achieved a good end result.
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
kustomizingkid wrote:

Based on reading your Thread ^^^^, I'm not sure if there is a bit of sarcasm here or you changed your mind! Where is the project now? I'm interested in what you did.

Just been working on it and turning it into my dirtbike/mountain bike base camp fun machine. Hoping to spend a month this winter using it as a snowboard base camp... Saving my pennies for a new diesel cabin heater Very Happy

AHU ETDI, DK Trans, Weddle 3/4, Blah blah blah.

I'm a little sidetracked at the moment putting a 1.6TD in my rabbit truck... VW's are an addiction, I have yet to find the cure Very Happy
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, I could fairly easily build a bolt-on 1.6TD electronic injection pump for you for your caddy. You could probably run the crank position sensor off the front crank pulley bolts. Pintle lift sensor might be a bit tricky. I think the rest of the AHU enigne management would all cross over. A custom ECU tune would be required. That way you could experience all the same electronic engine management joy on the 1.6TD.
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets keep this about TDI Vanagons Libby... You can come harass me on Diesel Net or the Vortex about my truck. Lets get back to beating the MTDI vanagon horse.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harass you? What are you going on about? How is it that if I point out the upsides of a mechanical injection pump I am harassing you and if I offer to assist you with an electronic engine management solution I'm also harassing you? Both cannot be true. Personally, I don't believe that I've ever harassed you about anything...

Come to think about it, I bet you could use a piezo transducer on the #3 injection line in place of the pintle lift sensor.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people using songle or dual mass flywheels on their tdis?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using single mass flywheels on two of my TDIs. The other two have flex plates.
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people's thoughts on transaxle life on single vs dual mass flywheels? I am very concerned about transaxle life... I am of te belief that it matters way more HOW you drive, but obviously anything you can do to extend the axle life the better.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a complicated math problem (not unlike that of eTDI vs. mTDI Wink ). In order to solve it, you would have to study a significant group of users of both the single mass flywheel mated to the vanagon transaxle and dual mass flywheel mated to vanagon trans. You would have to see how often each group has transaxle failures and average the times. You would then have to factor in the 50K-100K dual mass flywheel R+R service and you would also have to factor in the number of transaxles that are destroyed prematurely by the dual mass flywheel failing.

My personal decisions on the matter have been based on the educated guess that the cost in parts/labor of having to replace the dual mass flywheel as a regular service item (at the same time as the timing belt) and occasionally having a destroyed transmission that would also need to be replaced would more than offset any cost savings as a result of the dual mass flywheel extending the life of the trans. I could be wrong.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a single mass on my ALH. Will probably do a dual mass on my AHU conversion when I build it.
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What flywheel and clutch combos work? Is there some kind of cheat sheet? I have all the stock 82 parts currently, but I want to crank up the power Very Happy
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I have a single mass on my ALH. Will probably do a dual mass on my AHU conversion when I build it.

Is your reasoning that the dual mass flywheel will be easier on the trans by evening out the power pulses? How often do you plan on swapping it out? From what I've read, many do not even last 50k miles. Any concern about a premature dual mass flywheel failure wiping out the vanagon trans?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not really that concerned of the diesel pulses destroying a trans. I mostly want to just cushion the vibration a little. I'm sure some DMF have failed that early but from what I see at work, they often get 100k out of them if not more. Of course driving style has a lot to do with it, and we aren't terribly hard on the clutch. Hard on the van, yes. But not the clutch!

I have a bunch of used parts around and it's looking like a Passat flywheel, WBX disc and a VR6 pressure plate might work together. Just have to grind off the tabs that stick out on the VR6 and it fits inside the bell housing.

My trans will be built up though, Weddle 5 speed conversion, cooling ports, and I found the contact for the German billet main bearing housing. Expensive yes, but I've heard of some pretty good diesel power being put through them and lasting. I'm only planning a VNT-17 and mild software on it. It will be our "mini van".
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 speed conversion??

This is news to me...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://weddleindustries.com/products/new-products/new-vw-094-5-speed-kit

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: