Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! My 1600CC is stuck in first gear!
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jvalle23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Help! My 1600CC is stuck in first gear! Reply with quote

Hey guys I need HELP I have a 1969 dune buggy has a 1600cc engine it's STUCK IN FIRST GEAR I press the clutch try shift nothing not even reverse or neutral!! What's going on I NEDD HELP
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch cable break? Look past the driver's tire to the transmission and see if the cable on the lever looks "off" - reach in and see if you can pull it off the lever from the butterfly nut side. If you can... there's your problem. If the cable is still attached, then you either bound up your shift rods which will require you to take the transmission nosecone off or the throw-out bearing went away, which will require you to pull the engine. Small things first - check the cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jvalle23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check it , the lever moves I press the clutch and it doesn't move I take the clutch if it starts to go because it's stuck on 1st! I press the clutch try put 2nd doesn't engage I tried riding on 1st and going to 3rd gear it just Grinded really bad didn't go in.

My first VW air cooled engine.

I need help:/
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what you are trying to say. How about restating it clearly?
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have someone try rocking the buggy back and forth with the engine not running, while you try to move the shift lever into neutral.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch or no clutch with the engine off, a normal working transmission will shift between gears. Sounds like it won't even do this simple thing. Is this a brand new car? Have you ever witnessed the transmission working before?

Start with the simple/cheap things.

Is the clutch cable hooked up? Does it move the clutch lever? and is there approximately 3/4 inch free play at the pedal before feeling freeplay.

Next check the linkages and bushing on the shift rod itself. There is a linkage under a plate, where the back seat would be. Check that that is hooked up and free of play. There is a bushing just to the back of where the shift lever goes into the hump. Is there a plastic bushing in there or just a metal bracket.

Beyond those two things you're going to need to drop the engine
Jvalle23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay sorry Let me Restart.

I have a 1600cc Dual carb engine on my 1969 Dune buggy.

BEFORE it got stuck in 1st gear, 1st gear would be REALLY hard to get in I pretty much had to Jam it in with clutch pressed alll the way down.

2nd problem Reverse I would press the button and put it in reverse it would Grind Hard but still go in.

This Wouldn't happen when I first bought the buggy.

It started happening maybe 300 miles back.

Engine has been rebuilt has 1500 miles.

NOW my buggy is STUCK in 1st gear.

I Did check the clutch cable and it still intact.

I had my buddie press the clutch over and over

and it moves fine but it does seem like it should move alot more when pressed doesn't move a whole lot.

Now the shifter moves OUT of "Gear" but it doesnt SHIFT the transmission to the other gear.

I Drove in 1st gear Pressed the clutch and tried putting in 2nd gear the lever moves to where 2nd should be but No sound no grind no nothing.

NOW when I try to switch from 1st gear to 3rd gear It doesnt go in but while im trying to get it in gear It "Rubs" and slows the car down like if Im pressing the brakes or Handbrake then after a little it GRINDS so I take it out.

Same thing in 4th gear.

What thehell is going on.

I tried the rocking back and fourth and nothing.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would lookup the procedure to adjusting the clutch cable and then proceed to inspecting the shift plate , bushing, and the shifter linkage as noted above. I broke a shifter linkage clean in two pieces once after jumping my crap-buggy a little too high and some loose shit in the car (dangerous I know), including a toolbox slammed into the stick. You should be able to shift into other gears with the car off. Could be as simple as your shift plate in need of a lil realignment

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Jvalle23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes when the Car is off I can easily shift into 3rd and 4th I can hear the "clunk" type sound when you got it into the gear.

When it's off I don't hear 2nd or reverse at all when I'm shifting.

I can hear the linkage move in the back going into the tranny but I guess I should jack the buggy up take the plate covering the linkage see how it is.

Transmission shifted Fine before Clutch cable forsure needs to be readjusted it doesn't move very far. I will try that when I get home.

Im so new to this Old school VW game so I have no idea what these linkgages and couplers and all this is .

Learning process
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a shifter rod issue. Or quite possibly you have bent a shiftfork from forcing into gear.
Jvalle23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be an Expensive fix?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to pull the engine and transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petfisheric wrote:
Sounds like a shifter rod issue. Or quite possibly you have bent a shiftfork from forcing into gear.

This.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: