Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red light on
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that attached to the right side of the generator?
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Choke wire not connected also fuel shutoff may not be connected either, choke setting looks too far toward the front, throttle spring setup is wrong, no warm air hose to air cleaner, is the oil pressure sensor hooked up? Left and right air hoses need clamps and rubber gaskets through the tins. Fan belt looks frayed.

I'd clean every inch of that engine and recheck all wires and terminals til shiny and connected correctly. There's nothing worse than trying to work on a filthy engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choke wire appears connected to me; you can see the black wire running from the left terminal of the choke over in front of the carb and attached to the element in the first pic. As for the fuel shutoff, they didn't even exist on '65 28PICT-1 carbs, so there's nothing there to not be connected.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I guess I should explain. lol The car has only been running for a couple weeks. It's been sitting for the better part of 15 years. I had a mechanic replace all the brakes and fuel lines and tune it up and stuff about 7 years ago. It ran for a few but I was having shifting issues and I parked it again and it got away from me and ended up sitting longer than I wanted. Money wasn't allowing me to get to it. I've been itching to get it driving lately so I had another mechanic do some work to get it going again. He replaced the fuel lines again. He says he rebuilt the carb which explains a bit. I was still having shifting issues so he removed the pedal assembly to check that out and put it back together like crap. It's got wire and zip ties holding the excelerater cable to the pedal. That funky return spring is still not strong enough to pull the cable back. The pedal assembly should probably be replaced. He ended up replacing the clutch. I'm assuming he put the wrong fuel pump on and that's why it blew with in two weeks.

I figure it's time I start working on the car myself. That's all part of driving a VW, right? lol I can replace stuff if I know what the problem is. My diagnostics are pretty rough though. That's why I'm here. haha So, like I said the car has only been driving a couple weeks and I know there is still plenty of stuff that needs to be done.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a good solid car. My grandparents bought it in Cedar City, Utah to have a car that would make it to California when my mom gave birth to me. I've wanted this car my whole life. It's my birthright. haha She always said she would give it to me one day and 7 years ago she did. I'm glad I didn't get it when I was 18 or it wouldn't be around anymore. So it's a pretty special car and I'm in the way early stages of breathing some life back into it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
What is that attached to the right side of the generator?

I wondered myself. It's connected to the voltage regulator and the generator.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me which (left or right) is my D+ and DF on the generator. I tried doing a quick test with a multimeter today but got a 001 reading. I assumed i was doing it wrong. I got that if I touched the sensor with my finger too. haha
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DF is the thinner wire on the left, D+ is the thicker one (or pair) on the right. The funky whatsit on the D+ appears to be a noise supressor for the radio, you may or may not find another that looks just like it in the trunk near the speedometer or fuse block.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorvo.....great looking car and great story. Since you're in AZ, there should be a local VW club that you can join. You can get plenty of advice here on Samba, but there is no substitute for some experienced hands assisting you in person.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The DF is the thinner wire on the left, D+ is the thicker one (or pair) on the right. The funky whatsit on the D+ appears to be a noise supressor for the radio, you may or may not find another that looks just like it in the trunk near the speedometer or fuse block.

Ah, thanks. So I did run the generator test backwards. And a noise suppressor huh? The radio works. I even found the warranty tag still attached in the trunk. The speaker is shot so I was going to replace it and run the radio.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Yorvo.....great looking car and great story. Since you're in AZ, there should be a local VW club that you can join. You can get plenty of advice here on Samba, but there is no substitute for some experienced hands assisting you in person.

That's a good idea, thanks. I don't know of any club here locally but there's got to be some near by. I have a couple buddy's with VW's that could probably help out. It's just a time issue. I work a bunch. That's why I had a mechanic get her running for me. That and I'm a bit of a newbie. That's my tattoo shop in the background of the first pic. I'll probably paint my shop logo on the doors of the car.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this trying to do a test. Looks like my D+ wire is stripped and grounding out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: