Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Croming the Engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Croming the Engine Reply with quote

Now I know a lot of people are against Chroming but I am not so save it. I recently decided to chrome my engine but wanted to make sure I have plenty of air flow and started to research fan shroud and discovered that none of the ones I found were as good as the factory originals. Either they had thin metal, were missing all kinds of vents and holes or were just a POS. Locally I have a company that said they would try to chrome my factory original Fan Shroud but made no promises. I liked the idea n had the time so for $150.00 They chromed it. It was learning experience. Here is listing of issues we found and photos I was given and taken to describe the process.

1. I had to prep the metal so I sand blasted it with fine grain glass bead.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. We than had it buffed and buffed.

3. We then discovered that any oil left on the inside of the shroud would contaminate the nickel bath so we had to clean it better. We used a power washer and a radiator bath to get it real clean. I was not aware that the engine had had a bad oil leak in the past which filled the inside with caked on oil.

4. It then came out of a Nickle and looked great but I was told the nickel is too soft and a Chrome would still need to be applied. I still think it looks good.

5. We then discovered that the chrome would not take and diodes needed to be added to draw the chrome to certain areas. It also took several plastic bolds to keep the chroming process working. If you need details I can get you in touch with the guys that did this. The issue they had was when they tried to brush it the Nickel bubbled on them so they had to strip it and start all over.
6. In the end it looked great. The following are photos of it after chroming and as it is installed. I love this tower and how it is correct and works properly. Yes I know it has a few dents in it but original is origional.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Wow. I'm not a huge fan of chrome but that looks clean! Very nice that you kept with the german tin. Do the rest of the tin to match and I bet that would kill at shows.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Chrome don't get ya home but I'd be a traitor to my hot rodder roots if I didn't love well done chrome plating...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Shocked

Wow. I'm not a huge fan of chrome but that looks clean! Very nice that you kept with the german tin. Do the rest of the tin to match and I bet that would kill at shows.

Normaly I am not a big fan of chrome but I am on this one bug. I am not sure I want to chrome it all due to heat issues with reflecting heat on the heads.cylinders due to being a daily driver. I am talking to the Chromer and he thinks he can chrome one side only which might work on the tin that covers the cylinders.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, get yourself an oil bath air cleaner chromed to match. That cheesy cleaner you have isn't fancy enough now.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Oh, also, get yourself an oil bath air cleaner chromed to match. That cheesy cleaner you have isn't fancy enough now.

I was thinking about that but with a Convertible and the stuff that goes on it under the lid it can be tight fit. I do need to see if I can get the bath back on.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome to me needs to be all or nothing. Little dress up parts scattered around tend to look tacky, but when everything is done up so it all looks coherent it can look great! I say do the tins, or at least all the tins you can see from opening the decklid.

Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$150 is a great deal for chrome. Back in the day, my buddy and his brother worked in a chrome plating shop. It was great. A bottle of Crown Royal would get me anything plated. Anything.
Tie rods, Herrod Helper, knives, glove box doors, ashtrays, exhaust, shifters etc.
What a shitty environment to work in though. Their clothes would actually rust to their bodies, with all the metal dust in the air, and the sweat.
Nasty.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they now charge $250.00 for it if it is clean but that is after using me as an experiment. Appearently it is hard to Chrome this item due to all the wholes.

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Croming the Engine Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:

What a shitty environment to work in though. Their clothes would actually rust to their bodies, with all the metal dust in the air, and the sweat.
Nasty.

Metal finishing can be a nasty business. The plating salts will corrode just about anything over time that's outside the baths.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:

I am not sure I want to chrome it all due to heat issues with reflecting heat on the heads.cylinders due to being a daily driver.

The cylinder tins are only directing air, it doesnt matter what colour or finish they are.

The cylinder tins I used on several of my engines were original German ones chromed dipped in the early 90s and are still working perfectly on my fathers engine.
I never noticed any temp difference, its because aftermarket chrome tin fits like shit that it doesnt cool well not because they are chrome.
The black aftermarket ones cool just as badly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: