Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the year model of my VW
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: What is the year model of my VW Reply with quote

My mother inherited my grandfathers VW and I was thinking of restoring and upgrading it and taking it as my first car but the problem is I don't know what is its model , I think its a 411 because it has the same front with the exception of the front turn lights but it has a different square taillights and my grandfather changed its original engine because it took too much fuel

Does anyone know its year model ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!

It is definitely a 411. I will have to look in my books.
A couple of questions if you can get it started.

1. Does it have emergency light flashers? If not...that is option M37 -France and Italy
2. It is missing the side marker light near the antenna on the drivers side. Because it has no front or rear turn signal/Parking lights...the side marker lights were probably the turn signals. That is option M46 and is used in Denmark and Norway
3. It is most likely option M275 which is no front or rear side parking lights and using the side mounted turn signals instead...Italy and Denmark

It could be anywhere from 1969-1972. Can you post the number on the drivers side corner of the dash? (the VIN code) that will help you to know what year it is.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: My VW Reply with quote

1. Yes it does have Emergency lights
2. it has 2 turn Lights the one near the antenna , the other is at the taillights at the bottom left and right side of the tail lights (the yellow parts)
3. it doesn't have the front turn lights (the one under the headlights)

I cant locate the VIN Code , what is its location

these are the Photos of the Dashboard

bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through the windshield from the outside of the car, drivers side, near the wiper arm stud, near the edge of the gasket. It's a stamped metal tag riveted to the top of the dashboard.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Very left end of the dash in the crevice right up against the windshield.
the steering wheel style marks it as 71 or earlier. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs you'd better save grandfather's 411. These guys will sell/ship you parts for it! Does it have a diesel engine in it now? Smile
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
If it runs you'd better save grandfather's 411. These guys will sell/ship you parts for it! Does it have a diesel engine in it now? Smile

Yes.....can you post a picture of the engine Please? I was in Cairo for two weeks in 2007. I saw a nice 412 wagon cruising down near Giza on one of the big bridges over the Nile. Ray
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "vin on the dash" position only applies to North-American destined vehicles.

Look inside the front bonnet, near the lock or further back near the hinges.

Also look under rear seat, in middle, between anchor points for rear seat safety belts.

Rear lights looks like they could have been added at a later stage. Probably came from a Fiat or something.
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1336926.jpg

This is its engine , we still need to bring a mechanic to check the car's condition because it was parked for like 10 years but there are few people who can understand old vw engines and fewer who know how to fix them (atleast in Egypt they are few)

And this engine is not its original engine, as I said before my grandfather changed the engine because it used alot of fuel
I think this is a vw minivan engine (not diesel)

I will try to look for the VIN code in the trunk , once I get it opened because I keep pulling the lock wire in the glove box to open the hood but nothing happens

And the tail lights probably came from a lada , because my grandfather bought this car from the army (the army buy them for their officers) and the army's main vehicle is the lada .
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawie wrote:
The "vin on the dash" position only applies to North-American destined vehicles.

I have the VIN on the dash on my non US '73 412 but not on my '70 411, possibly it was added there on all later cars (US and other).

I would guess on model year 1971 for saif_hazem1942's 411, the only year with black panel and the 3-spoke steering wheel (yes I know the panel can have been re-painted and the steering wheel changed).

Instrument and dashboard design indicates that its not a '69.
It also has the two grilles behind the front bumpers which I have not seen on a '70 (and the '70 also had wooden stye panel).

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what my mother told me the tail lights were one of the changes done by my grandfather because he couldn't find any of its parts in Egypt and therefore he changed its tail lights with ones from other cars along with other parts when he couldn't find any type 4 spare parts
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saif_hazem1942 wrote:
From what my mother told me the tail lights were one of the changes done by my grandfather because he couldn't find any of its parts in Egypt and therefore he changed its tail lights with ones from other cars along with other parts when he couldn't find any type 4 spare parts

Very interesting!

I had been thinking like Dawie. ...that the tail lights looked to be from Fiat.....but now that you mention it Lada makes sense as well.

If you cannot get the cable to properly open the trunk, remove the bezel from the right hand headlight. If the backside covers on the inside are still in place you will see a single stainless screw protruding toward you between the two lights. Carefully with pliers get it to turn ....without damaging the threads until you can turn it with you fingers. I have also slotted the end with a file so you can use a small screwdriver on it. Turn it until it almost falls into the trunk. Remove the rings around the headlights. There are three small screws on each one.
pull the headlights from their plugs. You should be able attat this point to remove the entire headlight plate via screws visible to you.
Once the plate is out you can reach into the trunk and find under the forward ledge....the cable in its tube.

Reach in close to the top with needle nose pliers and pull the cable. You may need to oil it first.

Shine a light in and look for spiders and snakes first Wink
Ray
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those look a lot like Fiat 132 tail lights!
whitesquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from Egypt as well, my guess is that they put a beetle motor in her. Mechanics over there panic when they see a non type 1 motor and quickly and crudely convert it. they basically turn the rear area into an engine compartment. I hope am wrong this time
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesquare wrote:
Being from Egypt as well, my guess is that they put a beetle motor in her. Mechanics over there panic when they see a non type 1 motor and quickly and crudely convert it. they basically turn the rear area into an engine compartment. I hope am wrong this time

Looks like you are right!
I have seen Type1 engines in Golfs and even Porsches but this is the fist in a 411.

Lars S

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually no its not a type 1 engine , my grandfather knew that a type 1 won't work with the 411(not powerful enough) that's why he bought a vw single carb minibus engine but I'm not sure which model
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the precedent is not too far off..... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7093502-Mexico-has-the-best-VWs!/page2

Look at the 412-ish front end on the Brazilia SP-2 in this thread.
I believe they were type 1 based....actually type 3 based...with torssion bar front end and swing axles with Z-bars in the rear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_SP2#/media/File:Motor_VW_SP2.JPG

and...it was a 1700cc type 3 engine....75 hp. It would have been even better with say a 914-ish 2-liter or even a tweaked fuel injected 1.7/1.8 type 4 engine

http://home.earthlink.net/~mysp2/id10.html
Very Happy
Ray
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in Egypt , my father has a beetle and he upgraded the engine from 1400 to 1600 and its engine is considered a powerful one by every one I know even though my fathers vw is slow even with 1600 . Although there is one exception , one of my friends told me that his 2008 jetta got beaten by a beetle but that's it other beetles or cars with type 1 engines in Egypt are relatively slow ( not that the engine is weak or anything but its not as powerful as the type 4 )
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That round black "dog house" cooling tin in back says it's a Type 1 Beetle engine, so you can get parts etc & get it running!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saif_hazem1942
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what is the model of the engine as I said before , my mother told me that its engine is a minibus engine , I'm still looking to get the engine code of the engine to figue out its type , I did find the car licence and I will check the engine code on the licence but to me the licence is not reliable , they wrote the car model Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: