Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper bracket replacements for 74 412?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Bumper bracket replacements for 74 412? Reply with quote

So another trip to my variant to test the carpet fit, and this time I take a closer look at the bumper brackets that were removed and thrown in the back along with the bumpers. The bumpers are in great shape, but the front mounts have been hacked apart. It looks like the PO was trying to shorten them to tuck the bumpers closer to the body, but I seem to be missing the half that mounts to the car itself.

Can anyone tell me if the bumper mounts from another VW will be a direct bolt on for the stock mounts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible that some from Dasher and early rabbits fit....but they are almost as hard to find. By any chance was the car in a minor fender bender? Chances are that the PO was trying to get the bumper shocks to extend again after they collapsed. They usually lock and are a one time use. They were really worthless.....as was the whole 5 mph crash bumper thkng. Typically you can just replace them with a segment of pipe. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no chance of a fender bender, bumpers are pristine, aside from the impact strip being removed. He had mentioned that he was shortening the mounts, I wasnt paying that much attention at the time, as I just wanted him to take my cash and get the car out of his driveway before he changed his mind.

He only had the car for less than a month after rescuing it out of the garage that it had lived for the last 30 yrs. Sold it when he found out parts weren't readily available. I'm now trying to fix the odd things he did in the short time he had it.

Got a new engine cover to replace the one he cut holes in for the webers, and once I get short intakes and short air cleaners, remove the velocity stacks, they should fit under the deck. Found replacement heater components that he tore off and disposed of. Interior is almost complete, finishing the door panels. He had thrown some mismatched used tires on it, and I've had the car in storage for the past year. In that time the tires have all gone flat, and the sidewalls have failed, so a new set of meats this week, and I'll be able to drive it home and start on the suspension.

Anyway, back to your comment, using a section of pipe to replace the 5 mile impact shock, would be fine, if I had the portion that mounts to the car. I was hoping there would be some readily available fix, but I'll have to wait until I get it home, get under it, and see whats needed to fab up to mount what I have.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can find a picture. It was a wedge shaped thing iirc. Ray
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I have piles of whatever you need- send me a Private Message.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: