Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type of paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Type of paint Reply with quote

What kind of paint were these knuckleheads from the 70s using?
I have a 1977 Bay and I need to know whether or not I need to blast this thing. There's no checking in the paint so it's not lacquer.. Acrylic enamel maybe? Some sort of urethane based paints?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like original paint/pin striping to me? It definitely needs to be sandblasted if you want the new paint to last! Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It looks like original paint/pin striping to me? It definitely needs to be sandblasted if you want the new paint to last! Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well it's not original (the color is-but not the paint) . I've already cut through at least 3 paint/spot jobs. I just wanted to know the type of paint. Today's paints are too hot for this old stuff, and it'll wrinkle if it's lacquer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhallicFlash wrote:

Today's paints are too hot for this old stuff, and it'll wrinkle if it's lacquer.

Please pardon my ignorance. Please explain "too hot for this old stuff".
And "it'll wrinkle if it's lacquer". Does that mean you don't plan to remove all the old paint?

From looking at the picture, I'd think you'll need to get it to bare metal first. At that point, what the old paint was, is irrelevant; it's gone!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
PhallicFlash wrote:

Today's paints are too hot for this old stuff, and it'll wrinkle if it's lacquer.

Please pardon my ignorance. Please explain "too hot for this old stuff".
And "it'll wrinkle if it's lacquer". Does that mean you don't plan to remove all the old paint?

From looking at the picture, I'd think you'll need to get it to bare metal first. At that point, what the old paint was, is irrelevant; it's gone!

You got it! Don't get me wrong, I'll remove as much as I can by using the old paint for shaping it straight to avoid material buildup. It's just unnecessary to remove all of it if the primer will bite perfectly fine into the old paint.
However, I'll test a panel by spraying with primer, paint and clear if I don't get an answer from someone here. If it's too much for the old paint, then I'll send it out to be media blasted.
PhallicFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few tests, I've come to the conclusion that the paint is acrylic enamel. Commonly used in the 70s and quite cheap for quick fixes. Thanks for trying, guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: