Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 car seats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkrasinski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: 3 car seats Reply with quote

So we bought a 76 westy and have twins- 15 months old, the 3rd baby is coming in August and I am trying to figure out a way to install 3 car seats.

I am open to all suggestions including replacing the bench seat and the ice box. The current bench is not wide enough.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a seat/bed out of a 74/75, it's full width and seats 3.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats. I'm a twin dad myself (14 months).

It won't be stock, but a full-width riviera bed might be the answer to your woes.

http://www.oldbug.com/bairdblue061.jpg

You'll also have to find a way to secure the seats without any shoulder belts. I"ve seen some people drill a steel bolt through the rear roof support (above the rear hatch) and clip the seats to that.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three-across kid seats is an issue for most cars...it really comes down to the seats you pick. When we bought ours we wanted seats that were narrow enough that they didn't run over the boundaries of the rear seats in our Volvo XC90 (so we could use the flip-down feature on the seats without the carseat).

We opted to go with carseats from Sunshine Kids...they're heavy, kids can use them up to 80 lbs and because they lack armrests and cupholders they are narrow. When I bought them they were pretty expensive, but also the best thing on the market at the time...I'm sure others make narrow seats now.

We use these seats on the rear bench of my '75 Westy with the stock lapbelts cinched tight, and the carseats top strap going over the back of the bench's seat back down to where the seat belts anchor to the body/frame and hooked on there. I'm sure putting that hook further back into the cargo area would increase rigidity.

Hope this helps!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkrasinski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver B Congrats on the twins! They are a handful. Our third is coming right behind the first two. 18 months apart..

I will look into the bench seat from a 75, but I really hate to take anything out of the bus. It is in such good condition that I am bummed to modify any more than absolutely necessary. Sounds like I won't have a choice though.
dkrasinski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug B! I am looking into similar car seats. I would rather spend the money on a car seats that fit versus modify the bus.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen! The three stock lap belts work well for locking down the seats if you pre-tighten them. To avoid damage to your upholstery you might put down a semi-rigid mat over the full width of the seat, and maybe extending up the back. Good luck!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Roof Rack.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AB westy nut wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

x2
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck trying to find one that isn't stupid expansive Rolling Eyes
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
dkrasinski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find one at all is difficult. I have a few months and this may end up being a winter project. The full length seat will work great and I can store the fridge for now.
I really enjoy having the whole family out and the babies really seam to enjoy all of the windows.

We are not used to pictures being taken when we stop, but take it as a compliment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/u]
dkrasinski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if the mechanisms on my current seat can be used to build a full width seat. I am referring to the z bed hinges and hardware ( i think that is what it is called) . I would build a new cabinet. Any thoughts??
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have three children and wanted to be able to belt them in to our '77 Westy. I opted for the addition of a Vanagon jumpseat. Yes, I did have to drill some holes and modify the floor area behind the passenger seat a little bit. But we still have all our camping gear, the seat comes out easily when not in use, and this is our bus...resale values be damned. We plan to pass the bus down to our kids anyway.

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
I, too, have three children and wanted to be able to belt them in to our '77 Westy. I opted for the addition of a Vanagon jumpseat. Yes, I did have to drill some holes and modify the floor area behind the passenger seat a little bit. But we still have all our camping gear, the seat comes out easily when not in use, and this is our bus...resale values be damned. We plan to pass the bus down to our kids anyway.

If anything this is what I would do. A few holes in the floor of your bus honestly isn't going to harm the value the way things are going. But, do remove and store that OG carpet first like you are planing.

1966 Beetle
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more worried about strapping car seats into a vehicle that did not have a locking mechanism on the rear seat. Also there are plenty of things to come loose and bounce around the cabin in a Westy in an accident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
I would be more worried about strapping car seats into a vehicle that did not have a locking mechanism on the rear seat. Also there are plenty of things to come loose and bounce around the cabin in a Westy in an accident.

The Westy rear seat/bed does lock into place. That is the only way you can get a car seat secured and meet the requirements of the manufacturer. Now if it has a broken latch, I'd be worried. As far as junk just keep the gear in the back and don't stack it higher than the seat. When my kid is with me the passenger area is kept completely clean. No ice chest, no totes or anything to slide/fly around.

1966 Beetle
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My seat bottom latch is missing but once you get a car seat locked on there with the no-slack lap belt neither the seat back nor bottom are going anywhere. That force pulling the car seat into the crease of the bench seat holds it firm. If you can move your bench seat with the carseat on there then the lap belt is not tight enough. The trick is to properly position the car seat, then thread the lap belt through the appropriate path in the car seat. Once latched, tighten the lap belt to be as snug as you can get it. Then unlatch the seatbelt and adjust it about an inch tighter. It'll be hard to relatch...you'll need to jam your knee into the car seat to get the seatbelt to latch...but once you get it you should be good, tightness-wise. If you have older upholstery/seat covers that you worry might tear then put something semi-rigid down on the bench bottom (and maybe going up the seat back) like a workshop floor mat...something that will dull the sharper force of the carseat corners and distribute the downward force...and then mount the carseat on top of that.

Just my $0.02 before another meeting at work...

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
plankd2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:

This sounds like a great solution to something I've been thinking about a lot lately (first kid due in November). Any chance you could post a pic of your setup? And did you just need to make a couple holes in the floor/bulkhead, or was there welding involved? Seems like to make things as solid as possible, a welded-in floor plate or something similar would be necessary...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505353&highlight=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: