Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chug n stall after fuel pump replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, and keep in mind I'm just learning, I mentioned to a buddy today at work about the experience that I had and how several people had mentioned that the fuel pressure may be too high coming out of the pump. He said no way, it doesn't make sense. If anything fuel pressure would be too low. He asked me how too high of a fuel pressure would make the car chug and want to stall out. He said that would only happen with too low a fuel pressure. I told him I didn't know.

On another note I'm visiting my brother in Cali the weekend of the big bug in. I can't wait!
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKeck wrote:
don't leave the gauge in the engine bay. Just connect it to test the pressure and then remove it. its a good excuse to replace worn out fuel lines anyways. the gauge is just another thing that can leak/fail and create a problem down the road.
Ok thanks!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pressure is too high, the carb will be flooded with fuel. Basically the car is drowning in fuel and will stall. Think about if you tried to dump a gallon of liquid down your throat vs. drinking it through a straw. You would start choking and coughing. That's what your car would be doing if it's taking in too much fuel.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
If the pressure is too high, the carb will be flooded with fuel. Basically the car is drowning in fuel and will stall. Think about if you tried to dump a gallon of liquid down your throat vs. drinking it through a straw. You would start choking and coughing. That's what your car would be doing if it's taking in too much fuel.
awesome. Thanks
VolkDubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slik wrote:
wayne1230cars wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
I bought the Harbor Freight fuel pressure tester and it had a "T" supplied with the unit. The problem was that the "T" was a bit too small, so I had to clamp both sides with fuel clamps. Otherwise, you may get a nice shot of fuel in the eye while testing with the engine running. And I hate squirting fuel anywhere in the engine compartment, anyway.

Tim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim makes a good point about the clamps. This is my setup shown with a 36 hp pump. It works fine with no leaks but notice the use of clamps.

As far as the repro springs creating excess pump pressure, I would just mention my experience with said springs was about 5 years ago. Perhaps this problem has been corrected. But then again maybe not.

great advice everyone. I work till noon tomorrow and I'm excited to get to the root of the problem. My first step is to buy the gas pressure gauge. Do you leave that gauge permanently in the engine bay. Would be pretty cool. If you so what do you mount it to?

good thread, thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo.... A guy works hard all week looking forward to messing w his bug. My wife was driving by harbor freight so i had here pick up the fuel pressure gauge. I hook it up and the dam thing fills up with gas!! Yes the whole gauge, the face of it etc fills right up all while reading zero. Just my dam luck....faulty gauge. I've never used one before but I assume thats not supposed to happen!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....maybe the pressure was so high it blew the insides of the gauge apart Wink

Take it back and let us know how you make out with the next one.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so got a new gauge today. advice to anyone who buys this piece of crap from harbor freight. The box shows that it has a t connector. Get a metal t connecter before you leave the store. The one that comes with it is very soft plastic and it collapses when u try to put the tubes on it.

The gauge looks like it functions well enough. It was showing well over 3lbs before before the t broke and gas went everywhere.

So...anyway...I switched out the pumps. Put the O pump back on and it runs like a champ. Safety wired it. But when I was originally taking the original off I took the screws out that hold the dome on the pump. I think in doing so it did something to the rubber gasket. Its leaking a bit. So now I have two options. get a new gasket for old pump or put the O spring in the new pump.

I'm thinking like others have said that the spring is the culprit. advise?

oops...I mean diaphragm. That's my route. gonna order diaphragm. Sorry for being a somewhat inexperienced newbie.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of pump is your original and what type is the replacement? Can you post pictures of both?
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the new and old.

my old one is leaking thru the rubber washer on they top dome and the stem keeps falling out really easily. As u can see I zip tied the stem to the pump but i hate to trust my life and my vw on plastic zip ties.

Also u can see that the new fuel pump is one molded piece so i cannot replace the old spring inside this one.

It runs really strong with old pump and real bad with new one but I don't like the stem falling out of the old one and its leaking out the top.

My local vw shop matched this new fuel pump up and it was 17 dollars. seemed cheap for a fuel pump. is it poor quality?
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you ever able to check the pressure of the new pump? I'm almost certain you will find that the pressure is much higher than the recommended 3 psi.

I have a working new style pump that was on my car and I measured it at 3 psi. PM me with your address and I'll be happy to let you have it for the postage cost.

If you want the original Pierburg pump like you have now, you'll need to search for a quality rebuilt one. These aren't cheap. They can range from $125 - $225. An excellent source is Vintage Werks.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Were you ever able to check the pressure of the new pump? I'm almost certain you will find that the pressure is much higher than the recommended 3 psi.

I have a working new style pump that was on my car and I measured it at 3 psi. PM me with your address and I'll be happy to let you have it for the postage cost.

If you want the original Pierburg pump like you have now, you'll need to search for a quality rebuilt one. These aren't cheap. They can range from $125 - $225. An excellent source is Vintage Werks.

thanks so much for the pump! It didn't work RC. So I got to thinking. how about adding some gaskets that I has laying around that go between the plastic insert and the pump? I put 3 extra in and it runs awesome! I'm guessing the spring in the new manufactured pump was too strong so i lifted the pump up a bit higher. this may help others with similar problems.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slik wrote:
here's the new and old.

my old one is leaking thru the rubber washer on they top dome and the stem keeps falling out really easily. As u can see I zip tied the stem to the pump but i hate to trust my life and my vw on plastic zip ties.

Also u can see that the new fuel pump is one molded piece so i cannot replace the old spring inside this one.

It runs really strong with old pump and real bad with new one but I don't like the stem falling out of the old one and its leaking out the top.

My local vw shop matched this new fuel pump up and it was 17 dollars. seemed cheap for a fuel pump. is it poor quality?
just a tip for others with the early rebuild able fuel pumps if you rebuild them use as many of the old parts as you can and swap the spring on the new diaphragm out withe the one on your old diaphragm. Mine was putting out over 10 psi with the new spring! Also you can make an oring for the top seal so you can remove it and reinstall it as many times as you want without replacing the seal. And don't use the plastic fitting in the fuel pressure tester kit. Mine broke into 3 pieces when I went to remove it. It also leaked like the titanic after it hit the iceberg.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
slik wrote:
here's the new and old.

just a tip for others with the early rebuild able fuel pumps if you rebuild them use as many of the old parts as you can and swap the spring on the new diaphragm out withe the one on your old diaphragm. Mine was putting out over 10 psi with the new spring! Also you can make an oring for the top seal so you can remove it and reinstall it as many times as you want without replacing the seal. And don't use the plastic fitting in the fuel pressure tester kit. Mine broke into 3 pieces when I went to remove it. It also leaked like the titanic after it hit the iceberg.
id love to rebuild my old pump. Not in the budget to have mine rebuilt professionally right now. Did u buy a rebuild kit for the old style pump like I have in the pic? I was told by my local Vw shop that they r no longer making kits for them. Thanks!
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way. Can anyone ID the part on my carb that u can see in the pic that has the Orange plastic melted on to it? I'm guessing it's an old vacuum line that someone decided to just plug up. Thx
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slik wrote:
caleb0101 wrote:
slik wrote:
here's the new and old.

id love to rebuild my old pump. Not in the budget to have mine rebuilt professionally right now. Did u buy a rebuild kit for the old style pump like I have in the pic? I was told by my local Vw shop that they r no longer making kits for them. Thanks!
yes you can get the rebuild kit from wolfsburg west. Like I said just reuse all of your old springs if they are not broken.the kit is about $30
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Caleb thx!!!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to read up on preloading the pump when rebuilding it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107797&highlight=fuel+pump+jig
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not going 100% original you have the option of eliminating the mechanical pump with an electric one
I used a Mr. Gasket (red one) $45.....Needs to go up front by the gas tank

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
If your not going 100% original you have the option of eliminating the mechanical pump with an electric one
I used a Mr. Gasket (red one) $45.....Needs to go up front by the gas tank
thanks I've heard of those. What's the advantage? I kind of like the idea of the old school ingenious mechanical pump tho
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: