Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What type of turbo do I need for a 2.0L type 4 engine?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tavogalarza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: What type of turbo do I need for a 2.0L type 4 engine? Reply with quote

HI, I have a 1972 Baywindow camper that I would like to ad a turbo. Does anybody know what type of turbo do I need? Any intake kits available on the market? Any step by step info will be appreciated. [/img]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turbocharged a couple of engines and what I've learned is, it is not very easy. The best thing to do is get a kit and even at that, there is a big learning curve. Even if you get a kit, there will be quite a bit of things that need to be done that the kit does not cover. The added heat is one of them. You will be dealing with parts that get cherry hot and you need to shield other parts from this intense heat. Fuel is another big issue. You need lots more of it in the right amount. That is where a well designed kit will address this.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: What type of turbo do I need for a 2.0L type 4 engine? Reply with quote

as I recall, the prevailing theory is: the type 4 exhaust ports do not make
for a decent boosted engine, type 1 is far superior in actual use, so in this
case, swapping to type 1 turbo power makes the most sense.
Now you have to choose carb, carbs, or EFI for your monster.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? The exhaust ports? No the problem is cylinder to head sealing on any air-cooled engine and heat. Too much boost and you melt the pistons.
A couple of 914 guys have done it with 1.8 and 1.7L engine using CIS FI. I knew of two 2.0L engines, one used a wet systems and the other used Djet FI but kept the boost below 10psi.
Crown engineering made a kit and they show up at swap meets so look for one.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
What? The exhaust ports? No the problem is cylinder to head sealing on any air-cooled engine and heat. Too much boost and you melt the pistons.
A couple of 914 guys have done it with 1.8 and 1.7L engine using CIS FI. I knew of two 2.0L engines, one used a wet systems and the other used Djet FI but kept the boost below 10psi.
Crown engineering made a kit and they show up at swap meets so look for one.

All of that and the fact that the exhaust for a turbo (obviously) will need to be full custom and have to have good exhaust port sealing along with a support system to hold up the combined weight of header, turbo and associated hardware. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What type of turbo do I need for a 2.0L type 4 engine? Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion this falls into the "If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it" category.
has someone done it. sure most likely, should you do it most unlikely.
there's sure to be a huge learning curve.

but you might want to go over to www.shoptalkforums.com in the Forced Induction forum and find some real world users/builders.

*minor credential qualifier (if any), I've ~20yrs experiance of hooking up the wrong fuel parts to the wrong engines, from CIS to mega squirt with varying yet successful results. also quite familiar with the concepts and principals of forced induction. know enough to say no (unless it's purely a toy and not the family Truckster(tm) .

tavogalarza wrote:
HI, I have a 1972 Baywindow camper that I would like to ad a turbo. Does anybody know what type of turbo do I need? Any intake kits available on the market? Any step by step info will be appreciated. [/img]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tavogalarza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I've turbocharged a couple of engines and what I've learned is, it is not very easy. The best thing to do is get a kit and even at that, there is a big learning curve. Even if you get a kit, there will be quite a bit of things that need to be done that the kit does not cover. The added heat is one of them. You will be dealing with parts that get cherry hot and you need to shield other parts from this intense heat. Fuel is another big issue. You need lots more of it in the right amount. That is where a well designed kit will address this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tavogalarza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tavogalarza wrote:
deronmoped wrote:

I think there is a lot to learn about this for sure.Would it be better to swap to type one engine instead?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tavogalarza wrote:
Would it be better to swap to type one engine instead?

Probably not.

What size T4 do you have? How many miles are on it? What waste a bunch of money with a turbo and an unknown engine? Find a T4 builder in your state and build a kick ass T4. You bus will be fast, reliable and won't have any heat issues.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
tavogalarza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
tavogalarza wrote:
Would it be better to swap to type one engine instead?

Probably not.

What size T4 do you have? How many miles are on it? What waste a bunch of money with a turbo and an unknown engine? Find a T4 builder in your state and build a kick ass T4. You bus will be fast, reliable and won't have any heat issues.

It's a 2.0 rebuilded . about 3500 miles ago.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a Floyd R. Turbo?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending what your goals are, just go Subaru and uck the aircooled stuff. you will be happier in the end.

trust me, you have enough disappointment in your life now to even play with keeping a turbo aircooled alive for long.

you can build a 200+h/p n/a pretty cheap (like cheaper than a "quality" T4 rebuild)

with some creative engineering, you can squeak a turbo subi lump in too. I just had my bus well over 100 the other day. it's not all it's cracked up to be. fwiw, the "P" in mph is about 118

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: