Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint job advice - SoCal area
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Paint job advice - SoCal area Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a complete paint job for my '79 Riviera. I live in Ventura CA and was hoping that perhaps there was anyone in the SoCal area who would give some feedback on any experience that they have had painting their buses. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I understand good paint jobs aren't cheap. I will be doing all body work prior to the painting myself, and even sanding it personally if that saves a lot.

Anyone have any idea what a outer job costs compared to a full paint job? (I know paint is variable in price, so a general number is fantastic)

I also have no idea how long time wise these things can take.. I'm rather new here but willing to learn!
Rumdum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Materials alone cost me around $1500. I used PPG's Nason which is their lower end line of paints but still quality stuff. Only painted door jams and the outside of bus including over the cab (not the fiberglass top but having that done as we speak).
When I say materials, I mean I purchased everything: three different grits of sandpaper, body filler, epoxy primer, 2k primer, sealer, base coat, clear coat, activator, reducers, lacquer thinner for cleaning, rubber gloves, tape, masking paper. Everything. I found a jewel of a guy that has all the experience needed and paints cars as a hobby basically and he just so happened to have a lot of free time. Paid him by the hour to do mine. I ended up paying him about the same amount as the materials and I can assure you, he did a job most people in the industry would have charged 7-10k. He even allowed me to have control over "how" I wanted it done since I had rust repairs etc. I feel so very fortunate for that and the result.
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumdum wrote:
Materials alone cost me around $1500. I used PPG's Nason which is their lower end line of paints but still quality stuff. Only painted door jams and the outside of bus including over the cab (not the fiberglass top but having that done as we speak).
When I say materials, I mean I purchased everything: three different grits of sandpaper, body filler, epoxy primer, 2k primer, sealer, base coat, clear coat, activator, reducers, lacquer thinner for cleaning, rubber gloves, tape, masking paper. Everything. I found a jewel of a guy that has all the experience needed and paints cars as a hobby basically and he just so happened to have a lot of free time. Paid him by the hour to do mine. I ended up paying him about the same amount as the materials and I can assure you, he did a job most people in the industry would have charged 7-10k. He even allowed me to have control over "how" I wanted it done since I had rust repairs etc. I feel so very fortunate for that and the result.

I painted my Manx style buggy for less then ten dollars. One can of rustoleum $7.50. A lot of my own labor, but it looks like I spent thousands on it. I always keep the buggy covered, to keep the dust and leaves out of it, so I expect the finish to look good for years.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to the body and paint forum here and search you may find others in your area who are working on paint for their VW's. Sometimes they will lead you to someone who does it in your area.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nason is dupont

Just remember...you prep it, you own it. If you find a shop to do it you will get paint only and don't expect stellar results.

Average is about 10 15k for paint and body. Then you have seals etc....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Rumdum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Nason is dupont

Just remember...you prep it, you own it. If you find a shop to do it you will get paint only and don't expect stellar results.

Average is about 10 15k for paint and body. Then you have seals etc....

Lol.Thanks for the correction! I always get those mixed up because we have two paint shops here. One carries Dupont and the other PPG. I buy supplies from both. I got the Nason part right.
As for the prep work, no shop I ever spoke to would agree to me prepping it. They wouldnt have a clue what your work looks like nor would they know the quality of materials used.... They don't want their work on top of yours and you running around talking about how crappy the paint looks because its the bodywork that makes the paint look good and not the other way around (usually). Think after I buy the pop-top seals and the scarpers and seals for the front doors, I'm close to the $600+ mark and theres a couple I didnt have to replace.
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in SoCal too (LA County). I did mine for less than $1000 (everything). Paint is Valspar, 2 stage (BC/CC). Not a show quality paint job but it's better than what we wanted. We are very happy. Very Happy You can read my build here >> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579289&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I had a customer bring me his late model Westfalia for some work. I was immediately impressed with the paint job and asked him where it was done. It looked like a brand new bus.

He said he took it to Tijuana. This made me suspect but he went on to say that the shop was nicer than any shop in San Diego. Down there they can do things shops up here can't like sand blast and use good paint that California has banned.

He said that the job took a couple months and that he made a few trips down during that time to check on it but in the end the price was low and the quality was good. I think he said it was $3k.

The shop is located directly across the Otay Mesa border entry about a couple miles so you don't even need to go through downtown Tijuana. They have a nice web site. Give them a call and see what you think.

http://www.autobodyguys.com/abg_Operation.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
martyno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aeromech"]Several years ago I had a customer bring me his late model Westfalia for some work. I was immediately impressed with the paint job and asked him where it was done. It looked like a brand new bus.

He said he took it to Tijuana. This made me suspect but he went on to say that the shop was nicer than any shop in San Diego. Down there they can do things shops up here can't like sand blast and use good paint that California has banned.

He said that the job took a couple months and that he made a few trips down during that time to check on it but in the end the price was low and the quality was good. I think he said it was $3k.

The shop is located directly across the Otay Mesa border entry about a couple miles so you don't even need to go through downtown Tijuana. They have a nice web site. Give them a call and see what you think.

http://www.autobodyguys.com/abg_Operation.htm

I was not aware that CA has any limits on what paint can be used, is this actually a case or are you just quoting from the individual?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware that CA has any limits on what paint can be used, is this actually a case or are you just quoting from the individual?

Of course California does. No lead paint. No VOC's. No MEK. I'm no expert but have bought automotive paint in the past and can tell you that the chemistry has changed a lot in the last 10-15 years.

This forum has some talk about it.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-...-laws.html
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California has a law for everything.

My grandaughter's friend got a ticket for parking on the lawn. I got a notice to pay because it was my lawn.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Aloha
tp
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we think of them negatively and rightfully so but I remember California passing a law that made it illegal to smoke inside restaurants and bars. Soon that law spread to other states.

I was having dinner with my wife at a very nice restaurant in Capitola back in the mid 1980's. Just as my beautiful rib eye was delivered, the guy at the next table lit up. If I asked him to put it out my dinner would be ruined. If I asked the waiter to move us my dinner would be ruined. If I just sat there and sucked it up my dinner would be ruined. It was.

Thanks California

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use krylon dude it's close to being a good match.............SIKE Laughing hit up your local body shop for a quote.
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
dillon70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Ventura or Moorpark? I am in Ventura as well, you can PM me if you like.
1979 911 (235 hp)
1970 Chimney Pop Top (120 hp) SRFBUS1
1990 Vanagon (95 hp)
1985 Vanagon GL (85 hp)
1969 Tin Top 1 owner OG
Can I get any slower?
2015 CC R-Line (heavily mod'd)
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Usually we think of them negatively and rightfully so but I remember California passing a law that made it illegal to smoke inside restaurants and bars. Soon that law spread to other states.

I was having dinner with my wife at a very nice restaurant in Capitola back in the mid 1980's. Just as my beautiful rib eye was delivered, the guy at the next table lit up. If I asked him to put it out my dinner would be ruined. If I asked the waiter to move us my dinner would be ruined. If I just sat there and sucked it up my dinner would be ruined. It was.

Thanks California

X2
As a musician, I am happy not to come home from a gig and have to hang my clothes outside before I came in the house. Not to mention the breathing thing....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: