Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 engine question for newbie
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: 1971 engine question for newbie Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am getting a 1971 1600cc single port from a friend and I want to put it into a 912 Porsche to avoid the cost of a Porsche motor.

I hear a lot of people say that a type 1 can get unreliable if you beef it up to much. So I am wondering how much bigger I can go and still have a fairly reliable ride.

Any suggestions?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the 912?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971 single port - doesnt sound right to me....US '71 should be dualport, doghouse.

the people that you heard reliablity issues from a supped up type 1 motor dont know how to build a reliable engine. my 2180 is reliable, daily driven about 40 miles minimum a day, puts out about 150 hp, zero issues. my brothers 2387 is reliable, daily driven about 20-30 miles a day minimum, puts out about 180 hp, zero issues. my dads 2007 is reliable, daily driven about 10-30 miles a day, puts out about 120hp and zero issues. My friends 1776 is reliable, used to be daily driven but has been relegated to fun toy status - but still sees around 10k a year and puts out about 85hp is reliable and zero issues.

another friends 2180 built in his backyard for under $2000 and puts out around 130-140hp, has about 6000 miles on it, is not reliable and cannot be daily driven and needs to be torn apart because its busted.

reliability and power cost money....lots of money. my 2180, gear box and rear end mods totaled about $8k. my brothers motor alone cost about $8k.

built correctly, type 1 based engines are as reliable as stock or even more so. built cheaply and not speced out properly they dont last. built by people who think they know what they are doing is a recipe for not being reliable. you want a reliable type 1 based engine with more get up and go over stock then contact a competent engine builder and discuss your needs and budget.

some fine outfits to contact for your build include (google for contact info):
CB Performance
Aircooled.net
Paradise Motorsports
Gene Berg Ent.
VW Performance Phoenix AZ.
Gary Berg

be prepared for "sticker shock" though. good luck.
sweetguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. I am looking at a 1967 912 that my buddy has. The rebuild price on that porsche engine is insane.

Thanks for the info. Its a little intimidating with all the choices out there.
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetguth wrote:
thanks for the info. I am looking at a 1967 912 that my buddy has. The rebuild price on that porsche engine is insane.

Thanks for the info. Its a little intimidating with all the choices out there.

It's that whole speed costs money, how fast do you want to go.
Another is easy, cheap, reliable - pick 2
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: